Tuesday's game absolutely Must win

I still think there is time to turn things around but I underestimated just how poor we are and how much of a task Lampard has on.

It is vital we get 3 points on Tuesday in a home game that should be classed as more than winnable. Lose and turning it around could be like turning the titanic.

We have stopped scoring goals, creating chances and keeping clean sheets. Lamps has 3 days to get it right, it's time to get behind him and the team or we may as well just give up and wait for Mel to get his little black book out again.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sith Happens

Normally i would say its not must win at this stage and mathematically its not, but for the team and fans i think we need a win we really do. 1-0 off keoghs arse if needs be.

I only expected us to come about 8th this season what with so many changes to playing and coaching staff. Its hard to lose 4-0 away from home but i understand why we have. 

I think it IS time to support the manager, players, club. Stick together and not be asking ( as im sure some will) for the manager to be sacked. Its a tough tough league and keeping chopping and changing managers and players hardly ever works. Ive seen enough bright moments this season to think that given time Frank can build us a good core group. Good enough to get promoted? Who knows. 

21 minutes ago, Ramathorn said:

Sadly can’t see the Wigan game being much different to the Milwall one

Or Rotherham, or Bolton.

I agree with the OP though. I don't like saying 'must win' this early on, but from a confidence perspective, we have to turn it around soon if the top 6 is achievable. 

I'd like Wigan to park the bus as that's the only way we pass the ball through the field into our better players in the opponents half 

What Wigan should do is use the time that Keogh and Tomori have the ball to close in on the full backs and midfielders. When the ball goes into them just press and watch it go sailing back. Push up and repeat. Don't worry too much about width because the wide men play narrow. After you've pressed for a bit you'll get a long ball and will face the giant duo of Marriott or Waghorn. 

The only threat is the rare pass through the lines that finds Harry Wilson and from there it's a 35 yard shot. 

It's scripted 

32 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Must win for what? We won’t be making the top 6 no matter how much people are kidding themselves if we continue to play like we have recently. 

Sadly, I think you are absolutely right. 

12 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

We're like a team playing in Land of the Giants! ?

A long ball would make sense if we had any width, sucked in the press and let loose a winger. But we play narrow. With midgets.

I don't geddit. But I think the instructions are actually to have a midfield and ours has become embarrassing. It may be a top half backline and top half frontline. It may be a midfield with some high level midfield players. But as a group I wouldn't trust this midfield to control the center of the park against any opponent not looking over their shoulder at League 1. These months have been truly terrible. 

Remember Bryson and Hendrick chasing shadows in a 442? That's the level we have in our midfield now. Mid table at best level. 

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Remember Bryson and Hendrick chasing shadows in a 442? That's the level we have in our midfield now. Mid table at best level. 

TBH we look like a newly promoted team, lots of endeavour but just not enough quality.

We don't become a bad team while we are in the top half of the table, just because we have lost 4 matches on the bounce even though one was in the cup away to a premiership side. There is a reason for the defeats, no Lawrence, Mount, Bryson and others missing through injury is a major factor. But regardless of who is available for Tuesday night, it is a must win game. We must close that 3 point gap on Bristol. This is also our game in hand on the chasing pack, i.e. Birmingham, Forest, Hull , Villa and Preston.  Even Swansea and Sheff Wed with a game inhand must fancy their chances. Currently the last play off place is wide open and up for grabs. OK, Bristol are in the driving seat but they have been on a fantastic run to get there.  We have4 games coming up now all at home, starting with Wigan, its a must win game to put pressure on Bristol never mind giving our team a lift. Bristol still have Leeds(H), Sheff Utd(A), M'Boro(A) WBA(H), Villa(A) and Rams at home to play. So to kick start our season with 36 points still up for grabs and rebuild confidence it is a must win match.

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

Must win for what? We won’t be making the top 6 no matter how much people are kidding themselves if we continue to play like we have recently. 

I can’t believe that some people think this team is capable of reaching the top 6. Look at the form rather than the table. 14 points from the last 13 games is barely 50 points over a season. The worst part of this is that the form is gradually deteriorating. At this rate we’ll finish bottom half ?

Just now, Roboram said:

I can’t believe that some people think this team is capable of reaching the top 6. Look at the form rather than the table. 14 points from the last 13 games is barely 50 points over a season. The worst part of this is that the form is gradually deteriorating. At this rate we’ll finish bottom half ?

I admire people’s optimism , I really do but there’s only so much punishment I’d be able to take if I was like them with their outlook deluding themselves into thinking that the team is better than it is . Going into every game with a positive outlook before inevitably being down and disappointed for days after. The team are miles away from promotion, I felt that even at the start of the season after the millwall away game, I find it baffling how even up until a few weeks ago, many saw us competing for a top 2 spot.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I still think there is time to turn things around but I underestimated just how poor we are and how much of a task Lampard has on.

It is vital we get 3 points on Tuesday in a home game that should be classed as more than winnable. Lose and turning it around could be like turning the titanic.

We have stopped scoring goals, creating chances and keeping clean sheets. Lamps has 3 days to get it right, it's time to get behind him and the team or we may as well just give up and wait for Mel to get his little black book out again.

Don’t agree this is a must win game. We are not ready to go up, even if we managed to get into the top six, which we will not on 2019 form. 

We need to stick with our manager regardless. We have tried different options manager wise and changing has not helped.  We have had no continuity since Nigel Clough. 

This is coming from somebody who advocated Rowett clement and Pearson going

Archived