Tuesday's game absolutely Must win

1 minute ago, GrimsbyRam said:

We need to stick with our manager regardless. We have tried different options manager wise and changing has not helped.  We have had no continuity since Nigel Clough.

I agree, and although we say it year in year out we’d really need reset our expectations and have a year or two which is about moulding a team and a style/identity rather than trying to force a promotion with the hodgepodge of different managers players.

That said, when FL and JM first arrived it was all about Franks winning attitude, Jodys great coaching success with the Chelsea youth, high press, good football... and all of that seems to have ebbed away. I’d like us to get that feel-good optimism and enthusiasm back from our management team if we’re going to stick this out as a long term project. 

Those scenes from the bench after the last minute winner at Reading on day 1 feel a long, long time ago.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I admire people’s optimism , I really do but there’s only so much punishment I’d be able to take if I was like them with their outlook deluding themselves into thinking that the team is better than it is . Going into every game with a positive outlook before inevitably being down and disappointed for days after. The team are miles away from promotion, I felt that even at the start of the season after the millwall away game, I find it baffling how even up until a few weeks ago, many saw us competing for a top 2 spot.

The alternative being going into each game not looking forward to it, miserably predicted a defeat, then following up with I told you so’s after the game calling other fans deluded.

If I got to that stage I would probably barely follow Derby past checking the scores in the paper the next day, certainly wouldn’t be spending my spare time on a Fans forum on a Saturday night.

Isn’t being optimistic part of supporting any sports team, believing that this year will be their year right till the end?

I struggle to see what you can get out of supporting a football club if you spend the entire season with your glass half full.

Hard enough to accept you just weren’t good enough when it becomes mathematically impossible knowing Cricket is about to dominate the sports channels for the next few months, couldn’t imagine going August to May with zero hopes or dreams.

Right, lets look at the big picture. We are not going to finish in the top 2 slots. We are 7th because that is down to what we have achieved so far this season. We can blame FFP for not having a stronger squad, We can blame previous managers for buying the wrong players. We can blame the bad luck of having lots of injuries.

Now the facts, we are currently 7th and 3pts off a playoff place. We have the 5th best defensive record(only conceding  42 goals). We only have 2 fixtures against 2 teams currently above us. Our current goal difference is the poorest in the top half of the table. Our current form is relegation form. We have 4 home games on the trot starting with Wigan on Tuesday. The chasing pack have all played a game more, barring Swansea and Sheff Wed who are 4pts behind us. Bristol have 8 of their remaining 12 matches against top half table teams including 4 currently above them. There is still 36 points to play for.

The possibilities, we could have some of injured players due back. We could hit some October style form. There is currently 7 other teams that are in with a chance of getting the 6th spot, so they could get good results against teams in the top 6 spots. So for the ones who are writting us off with so many points still to play for, based on our current form does not make sense, You can point out that our goal diff is pants(Huddersfield went up through the playoffs with a minus 2 goal diff, they also lost 15 games that season) So based on the fact we have just lost 4 games on the bounce (3 away and one of them in the cup to a premiership side) This Tuesday's game, the first of 4 at home is a must win game.

57 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

We have barely mustered a shot at goal never mind on target in each of the last four games whilst looking like we are walking in rice pudding 

Just looking at the table, if somehow we can turn things round and somehow get back to playing how we did against Brentford and WBA we could make the top 6. However, if we continue to play how we have been over the last couple of months, particularly the last 5 or 6 games we could end up 17th. That's the Champio for ya.....

12 hours ago, David said:

The alternative being going into each game not looking forward to it, miserably predicted a defeat, then following up with I told you so’s after the game calling other fans deluded.

If I got to that stage I would probably barely follow Derby past checking the scores in the paper the next day, certainly wouldn’t be spending my spare time on a Fans forum on a Saturday night.

Isn’t being optimistic part of supporting any sports team, believing that this year will be their year right till the end?

I struggle to see what you can get out of supporting a football club if you spend the entire season with your glass half full.

Hard enough to accept you just weren’t good enough when it becomes mathematically impossible knowing Cricket is about to dominate the sports channels for the next few months, couldn’t imagine going August to May with zero hopes or dreams.

There’s a difference between being negative and not expecting anything because we aren’t good enough. I’m the latter, that way if we do better than expected then I’m pleasantly surprised. After the forest defeat, I’ve seen usual positive people depressed for the whole week, fearing what their work colleagues will say that because they were expecting more than they should have. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that we are heading in the right direction after seeing the performances this season. We’ve had a handful of games where we have played well but we are playing exactly the same as we did on the opening game. I’m willing to give Lampard time because I don’t believe it’s all on him, the players have to share a huge part of the blame. As for zero hopes or dreams, I’ve seen people describe this season as a transition season, is that not going into the season with no hopes or dreams? Seems to me that it’s a cop out by trying to convince themselves that’s the case even though deep down they know we aren’t good enough to go up.

At this moment the points are almost secondary. We must win this for self respect, belief, confidence and for the benefit of the paying public. For me a lucky 1-0 isn’t enough. We need a performance.

fingers crossed we get stuck in and play with hearts as well as skill 

Come on Derby 

3 minutes ago, McLovin said:

There’s a difference between being negative and not expecting anything because we aren’t good enough. I’m the latter, that way if we do better than expected then I’m pleasantly surprised. After the forest defeat, I’ve seen usual positive people depressed for the whole week, fearing what their work colleagues will say that because they were expecting more than they should have. I’ve seen nothing to suggest that we are heading in the right direction after seeing the performances this season. We’ve had a handful of games where we have played well but we are playing exactly the same as we did on the opening game. I’m willing to give Lampard time because I don’t believe it’s all on him, the players have to share a huge part of the blame. As for zero hopes or dreams, I’ve seen people describe this season as a transition season, is that not going into the season with no hopes or dreams? Seems to me that it’s a cop out by trying to convince themselves that’s the case even though deep down they know we aren’t good enough to go up.

That’s football! These lows are what make the highs feel so good, losing 5-2 then stuffing them 5-0. 

Transition - the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.

Yes this is a transitional season and that’s not a cop out, it’s a fact despite some refusing to accept it. Lampard is trying to change the style of football we saw last season whilst being tasked to lower the wage bill and age of the squad.

That’s not going to happen overnight, it’s going to take time due to the difficulties of moving players on that were surplus to requirements from the summer of 2014.

Because of this I have no expectation of promotion this season, none whatsoever, doesn’t stop me hoping, dreaming we still can.

My expectations were to be lowering the age whilst competing at the right end of the table, which we are in 7th. We’re doing that despite performances not being up to scratch this year.

This summer is when we can really start a fresh, Lampard will have more freedom to bring players in to suit the style of football he wants to play, with his connections it could be an exciting one which will raise my expectations to possibly top 6 minimum. Really depends on what happens.

We’ll never win, score or have a shot again if you listen to some and the Delete Club memes will be out all over Twitter I’m sure.

I’m going to spend the rest of the day sulking, hurting as yesterday was a tough one, then wake up tomorrow morning brush myself down, pull my pants up, puff of the chest and believe we beat Wigan Tuesday, then look at the table and dream what could be.

This isn’t a be like David, the perfect fan. Just where my heads at.

Archived