Steve McClaren ruined football for us....

Ambitious

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely agree. Each season I'm hoping to recapture that same excitement. That season everything just clicked. The team was well-assembled and suited the style McClaren wanted to play perfectly. I'm just glad that I was here to see the football we played. 13/14 will live long in my memory. 

On 26/02/2019 at 18:37, Ambitious said:

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age. I know there are some on here that can remember clearly the days of Jim Smith, yet for those under 30 I would suggest that those days are largely a blur, certainly are for me anyway. 

I, like many others, compare the current Derby County team to the 2014 side that used to blow away sides with consummate ease. I wouldn't have understood that kind of football was possible, certainly at this level. Equally, it has ruined football for Mel Morris, the best example I can think of is that if Paul Clement had taken over when Nigel Clough was sacked, he definitely wouldn't have been fired when he was.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we won over 30 games during 2014 and averaged nearly two goals a game. It's all led to every single performance being scrutinised to that standard, in my opinion, leading to unrest when we don't look remotely close to that level. 

Ahhh to be young ,,, trust me you will see better times than Steve Mac if you become a life long supporter ,, as you say there are those of us that remember clough,Dave Mac days and Jim smith who think the Steve Mac worship is way over the top for a bloke that got somebody else’s team playing well enough to really enjoy watching in its purple patch but ultimately for whatever reasons fell short of achieving much of anything of substance 

On 26/02/2019 at 11:47, Curtains said:

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a transition season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cannot win  .

He is learning the job MM knee it was a gamble 

Out of interest everyone keeps calling this a transition season. But this summer it looks like the following players will leave due to contract expiry, loans up, deadwood or short term deal. Surely next season will be s bigger transition?!

nugent

johnson

bryson 

cole

ambrose

mount

wilson

tomori

king 

butterfield 

martin

pearce

anya

curtis Davies? (Age / injury)

olsson

On 26/02/2019 at 12:44, Nuwtfly said:

Absolutely see where you're coming from. I compare every team/manager we've had with what that feeling was like during Mac1. In reality, I should just move on, because even Mac himself couldn't replicate it. 

But I'd love to have that all again. 

what ?should we that had the privilege and pleasure of watching Brians team yearn for a return? They have been and gone what you hav e now is reality Believe me you will be recalling Franks first year.the wins at utd ,southampton the kids he introduced how you saw Englands  captain at the start of his career

2 hours ago, Archied said:

Ahhh to be young ,,, trust me you will see better times than Steve Mac if you become a life long supporter ,, as you say there are those of us that remember clough,Dave Mac days and Jim smith who think the Steve Mac worship is way over the top for a bloke that got somebody else’s team playing well enough to really enjoy watching in its purple patch but ultimately for whatever reasons fell short of achieving much of anything of substance 

Made me fall back in love with Derby County though, so I'll always be grateful for his time.

A little unfair on Steve to try to compare him to those successful managers. He did a good job when he was here and got us playing good entertaining football, which the previous manager had failed to do in his 5-year tenure.

Spot on Sir.

After the triumphs of Clough and Mackay came the Murphy, Docherty, Addison, Newman era....disappointment, boy they were grim!

Still enjoyed McLaren though?

24 minutes ago, KCG said:

A little unfair on Steve to try to compare him to those successful managers. He did a good job when he was here and got us playing good entertaining football, which the previous manager had failed to do in his 5-year tenure.

We had started to turn the corner though, Yeovil and Millwall away were pointers of better days ahead.

I just think Mac turbo charged the upward curve in a way Nigel wouldn't have been able to.

43 minutes ago, David said:

That’s a lie, you told me privately that I was the reason.

You played a big part too, with your great forum. 

I'll be honest though, the last few weeks have made me wish you'd banned Derby County talk and left everything else as it was!

On 26/02/2019 at 12:07, Anon said:

I agree. Someone needs to be given time to build.

McClaren propelled the team forwards rapidly, but it was Clough's team that had been built over 5 years.

Absolutely. This ^^. You cannot “buy” a team. A “team” is greater than the sum of its parts. Ranieri is sacked after 3 months at Fulham...FFS. A team with prospects needs to be carefully “crafted”...we hark back to Clough & Taylor because they were “master craftsmen”. It’s that simple. Carefully build and shape a side with values and consistency...run your academy along the same principles and you’ll propel your Club forward for years to come. Remember Liverpool in the 1970’s through the 1980’s...establish the Golden Thread.,.and stick to your principles. 

7 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Absolutely. This ^^. You cannot “buy” a team. A “team” is greater than the sum of its parts. Ranieri is sacked after 3 months at Fulham...FFS. A team with prospects needs to be carefully “crafted”...we hark back to Clough & Taylor because they were “master craftsmen”. It’s that simple. Carefully build and shape a side with values and consistency...run your academy along the same principles and you’ll propel your Club forward for years to come. Remember Liverpool in the 1970’s through the 1980’s...establish the Golden Thread.,.and stick to your principles. 

Whilst I agree that it would be good to build, grow and succeed, there are exceptions to the rule. 

Blackburn, Chelsea and Citeh off the top of my head all seem to have bought success without being too organic in their approach. Citeh are a bit of a paradox but for me their organic growth is mainly created in Spectre style football greenhouse.

But yes, for us, we need to be patient, prudent and pragmatic. 

I partly agree with the opening post, but I also agree with another poster who said that "Even if I was a fan of Rotherham or Millwall I would be disappointed with recent performances". That is spot on for me,  no matter what standard of football I have seen previously the football  at the moment is diabolical , and we aren't getting the results either.  We have become a team that can't create chances due to our predictable , one dimensional play and a lack of a striker with heading ability. At the same time we gift poo goals away with players such as Bogle lacking the experience and quality  to be part of a defence that could be rock solid, if we have good defensive players around Keogh and Tomori. 

6 hours ago, Archied said:

We fell short because mac didn't take control until several games into the season..we would have been automatically promoted otherwise,I have no doubt...the best football since Brian i.m.o

14 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

We fell short because mac didn't take control until several games into the season..we would have been automatically promoted otherwise,I have no doubt...the best football since Brian i.m.o

Obviously on the wind-up. Derby played better football, at a higher standard, under several managers than did McClaren's teams: Mackay, Cox and Smith.

26 minutes ago, KCG said:

Obviously on the wind-up. Derby played better football, at a higher standard, under several managers than did McClaren's teams: Mackay, Cox and Smith.

Also I did mean that Mac came up short over two seasons for whatever reasons , I’m not knocking Mac and I very much enjoyed the football under him in the main but am very much of the opinion he is given too much of an elevated status in our history by some fans given that nothing was achieved ultimately and now we look back it was a pretty short purple patch in the scheme of things with some pretty poor stuff mixed in during his tenure

15 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Better than Jim Smith's team? Better than Cox's team?  Give over.

Its a sad state of affairs that the forum hero is a guy whose sole achievement with us was getting to a playoff final. 

We've won league titles, played the best in Europe, come back from the depths of Division 3 but people still get misty eyed about handing a few teams in the second tier a good hiding? McClaren's reputation here is embellished by the forced austerity of Clough's time immediately before him, which he then benefitted from.

As evidenced by his record elsewhere, he is a very average manager.

Archived