Steve McClaren ruined football for us....

Ambitious

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age. I know there are some on here that can remember clearly the days of Jim Smith, yet for those under 30 I would suggest that those days are largely a blur, certainly are for me anyway. 

I, like many others, compare the current Derby County team to the 2014 side that used to blow away sides with consummate ease. I wouldn't have understood that kind of football was possible, certainly at this level. Equally, it has ruined football for Mel Morris, the best example I can think of is that if Paul Clement had taken over when Nigel Clough was sacked, he definitely wouldn't have been fired when he was.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we won over 30 games during 2014 and averaged nearly two goals a game. It's all led to every single performance being scrutinised to that standard, in my opinion, leading to unrest when we don't look remotely close to that level. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

It was more of a case of fans comparing them to a team/performances five years ago, highlighting why there is so much unrest despite us still being in a reasonably decent position. 

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a transition season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cannot win  .

He is learning the job MM knee it was a gamble 

Just now, Curtains said:

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a translation season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cant win  

From French, German or Italian? You'll all work it out eventually.

It's been a transition every season for at least the last 10!!

7 minutes ago, Curtains said:

I can’t believe people have forgotten this is a transition season and we all knew that didn’t we. 

Frank cannot win  .

He is learning the job MM knee it was a gamble 

People preach transition and patience, but they don't mean it. We have four home games coming up against teams that we should beat, which could put us right back on track or completely derail us completely. I just hope Lampard starts next season as Derby manager, we haven't had that in half a decade. 

20 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age...

You happy to settle for second best then?

Even if the McClaren season never happened, I'd still expect us to put in a competent performance against some really awful teams like Bolton, Millwall and Ipswich. I think it's fair to suggest even fans of clubs like Rotherham and Millwall would be annoyed with what we've seen in recent weeks and months and they haven't got a McClaren-esque season to compare it to.

12 minutes ago, Curtains said:

Well how many managers have we had in that time. 

I agree. Someone needs to be given time to build.

McClaren propelled the team forwards rapidly, but it was Clough's team that had been built over 5 years.

Absolutely see where you're coming from. I compare every team/manager we've had with what that feeling was like during Mac1. In reality, I should just move on, because even Mac himself couldn't replicate it. 

But I'd love to have that all again. 

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I was thinking about this last night following the Forest game, significantly more so after watching the Johnny Russell interview. Steve McClaren has ruined football for all of us of a certain age. I know there are some on here that can remember clearly the days of Jim Smith, yet for those under 30 I would suggest that those days are largely a blur, certainly are for me anyway. 

I, like many others, compare the current Derby County team to the 2014 side that used to blow away sides with consummate ease. I wouldn't have understood that kind of football was possible, certainly at this level. Equally, it has ruined football for Mel Morris, the best example I can think of is that if Paul Clement had taken over when Nigel Clough was sacked, he definitely wouldn't have been fired when he was.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure we won over 30 games during 2014 and averaged nearly two goals a game. It's all led to every single performance being scrutinised to that standard, in my opinion, leading to unrest when we don't look remotely close to that level. 

Yes good post. Watching last nights struggle at City Ground, team performance could have been a hybrid of recent managers offerings, Clements slow laborious tactics, Pearson's absolute incoherent non descript football, Rowetts turgid style on a bad day. Red dogs weren't much better. 

As a long time Mac fanboy I appreciated the football at the time. 

You can do a lot worse than believing you can win every game and looking forward to going to matches. 

But for those who didn't enjoy it and moaned the whole time about how a real manager like Nigel Pearson would have got us up... you missed some good fun. 

When the games are fun just enjoy them. We all want to win every game but after promotion you'll be stressed about staying up. After that you'll be stressed about making the top half. After the top half the objective will be top 6 and so on and on. 

Just ask yourself if you enjoy your football. If in general the answer is positive then why put a miserable spin on it. 

Maybe you enjoyed Rowett. That's no probs. Maybe you enjoyed Mac. Understandable. 

The whole diva mentality just creates a negative atmosphere. It's just a game. 

8 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Absolutely see where you're coming from. I compare every team/manager we've had with what that feeling was like during Mac1. In reality, I should just move on, because even Mac himself couldn't replicate it. 

But I'd love to have that all again. 

When mac came back it had all been ballsed up by making too many signings, and losing key players such as CM and GT. 

Also he came back without simmo and eric.

If 2013-14 set the bar unrealistically high, at least last seasons borefest gave frank a free hit.

i don't really understand the current bedwetting even though i've been very frustrated with the last 5 matches.

9 hours ago, cosmic said:

Counter argument: Steve McClaren saved football for us.

He did both didn't he really?

If only we had been promoted at the end of that season...Mac could have carried on,we would have done well the next season I'm sure and we wouldn't be playing all of these shithouse teams anymore...

As it is,we are doomed with aspirations to play like we did back in 2014/15 but with no ability to do so anymore.....seemingly no matter what we do.

Come on Frank,bring back the pleasure of watching an attacking team...I don't even care if we lose sometimes,just do it with some style.

Archived