Preston North End vs Derby County Matchday Thread

RadioactiveWaste

All things considered, I don't think we're doing too badly. The pitch is making it difficult for us, although I'm not sure that's on purpose. The top end of the pitch looked nowhere near as bad as the bottom half. We will see in the second half, I guess. 

Preston are proper old fashioned in the way they want to do things. Solid base, crosses into the box and multiple options hoping to strike gold. Evans and Bryson have made it difficult for them to cut us open, though, to their credit. They're definitely looking to go on the outside, but we don't have many other options. Wisdom, depending on his fitness, on for Bryson? Holmes to move into the middle of the pitch. I'm a strong believer that you shouldn't move players out of position in games though, because you get set in your positioning. Jozefzoon and Bennett waiting in the wings. I suspect the latter will come on for Nugent and the former on for Lawrence around the 60 mark. 

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, cosmic said:

Story of our season in terms of fan meltdown. Sounds like we’re not threatening a lot (away team) but not given Preston any clear cut chances?

I'd say. in regards to the opportunities they got from each of their corners, we were lucky the efforts were off target.

Other than the corners, no, they've done nothing.

I'm struggling with NOW TV - it came up with no sound, put trying to get the commentary on crashed the whole thing, now I can't get it to load, and have to be content with Radio Derby, who are doing their usual "the sky is falling down" view of things.

Sounds like Preston pinched our "fast out of the blocks" technique, but that we grew into it. They have threatened once, early on, we have hit the woodwork twice and had two shots go close, and they could have had a man sent off. We ended the better team. Would that be  a fair assessment?

32 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Evans has the uncanny knack of being where the ball isnt. He’s not even half the player Huddlestone is

2 minutes ago, lukedcfc said:

Evans decent so far, i would not bring him off just yet.

22 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I love having to follow the game on here. 

?

5 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Very concerning first half hour, but for all that, Preston have achieved very little.  

Last 15 mins was much more comfortable watching, and it has to be said, we're unlucky not to be going in a couple of goals ahead.

Maybe not vociferously, but I've been a constant backer of Tom Lawrence, but even I've noticed his inadequacies tonight.  He needs to stay behind after school, and learn how to shoot, if nothing else!

All in all, after that last 15 mins, I'm confident the second half will go our way... and It won't be a surprise if it's Wilson who proves the difference, he's been outstanding thus far.

Keep this going, Derby.  

My thoughts exactly, we've grown into the game and are unlucky not to be winning, while they've huffed and puffed but don't look too threatening as the half went on.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

New Forum feature, you can put a player on ignore, and no longer be able to post about him?

I'd take that. 

I really always try to be a voice of positive reason but there's something about Lawrence that grates me and good things come from him too infrequently to balance off my frustration. So I have genuinely been trying to just hold my tongue - failing today, clearly.

Pretty selfish of him tbh.

2 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Story of our season in terms of fan meltdown. Sounds like we’re not threatening a lot (away team) but not given Preston any clear cut chances?

(To clarify, not suggesting you’re having a meltdown!)

Certainly not.  I've been watching for far too long for that!  LOL!

Having said that, from that first 30mins, I'd say it was more down to their lack of quality up front, as opposed to our defending skills, that it remains 0-0.

Anyway... we're over that now... back to winning ways in the next 45...  

16 minutes ago, belperram9 said:

Said it many times on this forum. Lawrence is awful and over rated. 

Considering you've not made many posts since joining this forum, the vast majority have been negative - drop me a pm if there's anything positive.

9 minutes ago, Shang said:

I don’t see why people are criticising Evans, 

Because he’s not Huddlestone. It doesn’t help that Wilson is the only player in front of him showing any creativity, which leaves people wanting him to play the way Hudds does, which ain’t going to happen.

Archived