Jim Smith

Mafiabob

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many amazing memories this guy gave me in just 6 years at the Rams. While it was my lifetime I was too young to remember cox, only when he had a bad back and never came back, so Jim for me is the best manager in my lifetime. I bought his autobiography when it came out, still a great read, my personal favourite when his daughter was saying he should be more diplomatic with referees when they make bad decisions, she told him to try asking “How can you sleep at night?” Good idea thought Jim so next game there was a bad decision and Jim says to the ref after the game “how can you sleep at night.......you cheating bar steward”.

Hope he’s ok.

8 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Fantastic bloke Jim Smith who built such a brilliant side who beat the best in the business. Our thoughts and hearts are with you mate. ?

Ditto, he came to us and we expected nothing, yet he delivered an excellent side to get us promoted and then put together one of the most exciting teams we have had 

we owe him a lot hope he come through

Hope he pulls through.

Probably a year too young to remember the promotion year, but Eranio, Poom, Wanchope, Stimac, Carbonari, Baiano, West, Laursen were my childhood... all made possible by the Bald Eagle with Steve Mac at his side and Lionel's money of course.

Watching all those great clips on Youtube now shows what a great character of the game he was.

Remember going down to Raynesway to "pull a Bielsa" and watch the team train regularly. Seems mad now that even in the late 90's and early 00's you could turn up in that little car park, watch training, go over and speak to the players when they were having those small sided games on the courts or on the way to their cars as Premier League players.  I remember Jim coming over to the small group of fans that would gather near the hedge and saying hello, having a little natter with them a couple of times.

Bald Eagle's, Barmy Army!

Archived