Craig Bryson - signed a pre-contract with Aberdeen

LB_DCFC

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Huddlestone should be able to do that - played at a higher level than Bradley for longer.

Providing more affordable terms can be sorted (and he agrees to get all his teeth extracted), I would extend Johnsons' contract by a year. Bryson has been good for us since he arrived but because of how Lampard is trying to set up how we play, his effectiveness is nowhere near what it was when Martin was the hold-up striker so, sad though I'd be, let him go. Also frees up a place in the squad for one of the young guns.

He could do. He could also be sold, which wouldn’t surprise me. To be fair, I’d rather keep Johnson myself, but it’s pretty clear Lampard likes Bryson, perhaps it’s a dressing room influence thing? I don’t know, we don’t see any of that.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

Is it me or does it make no sense to offer him a new deal should we get promoted?? Is he a Premier League standard player (at this stage of his career)?

For me this is the PERFECT time to offer him a contract.

Say what you want about Bryson and Johnson, they have helped Derby achieve 6th place and could still help us get promoted.

If we stay down and we retain the pair on reduced wages then great, if we go up and end up paying them both 15k a week to sit in the stands I bet Mel Morris would pay the money with a smile on his face. Plus clubs would snap our hands off to loan the pair.

I love the guy, but he may well become a reason to why Sibley or Bird aren't seeing as much game time as we should be providing them. It becomes easier to play experienced players over younger ones in situations. 

Shinnie signing makes sense. He's a different player to anything else we have. He's, by all accounts, a Eustace MK2. He's not someone we've signed because of his technical ability, rather his ability to win the ball and move play on. 

Bryson, I think, would be much better suited to a move back north. He's got enough in the tank, but at this point it's not what either of us need. 

42 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

For me this is the PERFECT time to offer him a contract.

Say what you want about Bryson and Johnson, they have helped Derby achieve 6th place and could still help us get promoted.

If we stay down and we retain the pair on reduced wages then great, if we go up and end up paying them both 15k a week to sit in the stands I bet Mel Morris would pay the money with a smile on his face. Plus clubs would snap our hands off to loan the pair.

18 month contracts and sell them in January 

3 hours ago, Bob Gnarly said:

Whilst these are true, 3/4 decent games from a player a season isn't the standard that we should be looking at. particularly if said matches come against opposition such as Bolton.

Would rather us look elsewhere if im honest.

I said 3/4 great games - He's been decent in every game he's played

People seem to have this misunderstanding that Bryson is some kind of goalscoring superstar - He isn't - He's a hard working engine for the team - He's the guy who makes space for everyone else, always available for a pass, sweeps onto the ball if it bobbles clear of other people - He's a terrier for the team - I've said before he must be a joy to play with

He plays well when the team plays well - But he's not a guy who's going to turn games for us on his own - Not every player can

2 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Is it me or does it make no sense to offer him a new deal should we get promoted?? Is he a Premier League standard player (at this stage of his career)?

It's arguable whether or not he was Premier League standard in his best days.

Surely we've just signed his replacement in Shinnie...

Assuming the following aren't here next season, we have 73 starts and 7 sub apps to make up for

• Mount - 35
  • Huddlestone - 21 + 3 sub
  • Wilson - 12 + 1 sub
  • Ledley - 3 + 1 sub
  • King - 2 + 2 sub

Other CMs used this season:

• Bryson - 25 + 3 sub
  • Johnson - 22 + 6 sub
  • Holmes - 11 + up to 8 sub
  • Evans - 6 + 3 sub
  • Bird - 1 + 3 sub

Shinnie replaces Huddlestone's contribution. Holmes to pick up Wilson's contribution. Evans and Bird to cover for the games played by Ledley, King and a lowered contribution from Bryson. That leaves us with 1 top signing to replace Mount as well as youths to step in for the rare game.

That would give us something like

• Johnson - 15-25 apps
  • Shinnie - 20-30 apps
  • Evans - 15-20 apps
  • Bird - 10-15 apps
  • Bryson - 15-20 apps
  • Holmes - 20-30 apps
  • New - 30-40 apps
  • Youth - 1-10 apps

In summary, Bryson staying makes sense

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

An old head to mentor Sibley to come through the first team? Sounds good to me if the wages aren’t to high.

With England's best ever central midfielder as manager surely we don't need Bryson for that reason. 

If we stay down then it may be sensible to keep him around for numbers, but if we want to be improving the squad this seems like a step sideways rather than forward. IF we go up then it really would be a waste of time, but a waste of time we could comfortably afford. 

Love the man to bits but surely its an area we should seek to improve. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Assuming the following aren't here next season, we have 73 starts and 7 sub apps to make up for

• Mount - 35
  • Huddlestone - 21 + 3 sub
  • Wilson - 12 + 1 sub
  • Ledley - 3 + 1 sub
  • King - 2 + 2 sub

Other CMs used this season:

• Bryson - 25 + 3 sub
  • Johnson - 22 + 6 sub
  • Holmes - 11 + up to 8 sub
  • Evans - 6 + 3 sub
  • Bird - 1 + 3 sub

Shinnie replaces Huddlestone's contribution. Holmes to pick up Wilson's contribution. Evans and Bird to cover for the games played by Ledley, King and a lowered contribution from Bryson. That leaves us with 1 top signing to replace Mount as well as youths to step in for the rare game.

That would give us something like

• Johnson - 15-25 apps
  • Shinnie - 20-30 apps
  • Evans - 15-20 apps
  • Bird - 10-15 apps
  • Bryson - 15-20 apps
  • Holmes - 20-30 apps
  • New - 30-40 apps
  • Youth - 1-10 apps

In summary, Bryson staying makes sense

It would except Huddlestone had a year extra on his deal triggered recently so for the time being he needs to be moved to the "staying" pile as he has another 12 months with us. 

If Huddlestone and Bryson both stay, it would be hard to see them offering Johnson a new deal, even though in my opinion he has been the most effective of the three and has played a crucial part in the run in.

4 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

It would except Huddlestone had a year extra on his deal triggered recently so for the time being he needs to be moved to the "staying" pile as he has another 12 months with us. 

If Huddlestone and Bryson both stay, it would be hard to see them offering Johnson a new deal, even though in my opinion he has been the most effective of the three and has played a crucial part in the run in.

I believe we're looking to offload Huddlestone in the summer

58 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

With England's best ever central midfielder as manager surely we don't need Bryson for that reason. 

The relationship between player and player and player and manager are not the same. I’m sure Frank has a lot on his plate and will need a bit of help in areas such as this.

Interesting if true. 

I had assumed he would probably let go with Shinnie coming in. Bryson’s been a good player for us and I’d have no problem with him staying on (on a lower wage) to fill in as a squad player next season.

The problem comes if we were promoted, he wouldn’t be getting many games in the Prem we could afford to carry him, but would he prefer to be playing?

You need a few patriarchs to show the sprogs the ropes.

would have been an ideal mentor for Junior Bryson (below) but we might be too late to the party now Junior is being linked with liverpool, everton, spurs and the mighty Leeds.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0bdc3206a39b7714d60a2bcd33298ce.jpeg

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You need a few patriarchs to show the sprogs the ropes.

would have been an ideal mentor for Junior Bryson (below) but we might be too late to the party now Junior is being linked with liverpool, everton, spurs and the mighty Leeds.

image.thumb.jpeg.f0bdc3206a39b7714d60a2bcd33298ce.jpeg

Out of interest, have you watched Bayliss play?

I've watched him three times this season (over 90 minutes) and wasn't massively impressed on any occasion. Thomas looked a level above him on each occasion!

23 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Out of interest, have you watched Bayliss play?

I've watched him three times this season (over 90 minutes) and wasn't massively impressed on any occasion. Thomas looked a level above him on each occasion!

Yeah, I’ve watched a few games and thought the same. Coventry fans certainly aren’t as high on him this season as they were last either.

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

All three have contributed in their various levels and in terms of Bryson and Johnson they would both get a decent contract elsewhere but they are also sensible enough to know it will never be as good as at Derby and if the manager wants them so be it but they have been on extremely good money and the offer to them would be sensible money that we could afford

Archived