LB_DCFC

Craig Bryson

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

He's an immensely frustrating player - If he concentrated on doing the simple things well he'd be unplayable - But he seems to think he's better than he is

On Saturday he was caught in possession 3-4 times in our own half and had to be dug out of holes by the defence because of it - When Wednesday had the ball he was great, energetic, passionate, determined, strong in the tackle - But when we had the ball I was nervous every time the ball went to him

I think the positives for Johnson far outweigh the negatives for what we currently need. Yes he does the give the ball away but mostly in attempting to be positive. He has had many good games for us. That run under Mac2 as dm was immense. He had some great games earlier on this season and has been vital to digging us out of this poor form the last two games.

The problem is Bryson just does the simple these days, he won't give the ball away because he never plays a risky pass. But these passes don't achieve anything because when the space does open up, he can't turn and move it forward. I find Bryson far more frustrating.

In too many games you could fail to notice Bryson on the pitch, but not in a good way. You pretty much always know Johnson is there, his failings become obvious because he tries to impose himself on the game.

Neither are the long term solution to our midfield. And I don't think either will be here next season. But on performances this season, Johnson is the far more likely to get a new deal.

We have a great chance this summer to finally rework our midfield, it would be foolish to let nostalgia get in the way.

9 minutes ago, BondJovi said:

I think the positives for Johnson far outweigh the negatives for what we currently need. Yes he does the give the ball away but mostly in attempting to be positive. He has had many good games for us. That run under Mac2 as dm was immense. He had some great games earlier on this season and has been vital to digging us out of this poor form the last two games.

I agree and disagree with that ūüėĄ¬†

I agree he does try positive balls and forward passes, long balls out to wide players etc - And 9/10 times it turns out he doesn't have the quality to pull them off - I'd rather he made space and played a simple ball to Huddlestone or Tomori who CAN make those passes (which btw is exactly what Bryson does)

However - The 3/4 times he lost the ball against Wednesday was because he dithered with the ball at his feet in his own half - Either got his feet mixed up, reacted slowly to a player closing him down, tried to make a sneaky turn/beat a player - And lost the ball with the rest of the midfield further up the pitch

Bryson is a self-aware footballer - Knows his strengths/weaknesses and plays to them - Johnson is a good player who messes up too often because he thinks he has the ability of Huddlestone

Daft question but what are the connotations for Bryson on FFP?

We know writing off Johnson for example will hamper us, but is Bryson someone that wouldn't really affect us?

Would we be using the £500k fee we paid, or something based on the £1.75m supposedly agreed with Cardiff?   

10 minutes ago, Rample said:

We know writing off Johnson for example will hamper us, but is Bryson someone that wouldn't really affect us?

Would we be using the £500k fee we paid, or something based on the £1.75m supposedly agreed with Cardiff?   

I think the value tops out at the cost rather than a revaluation

18 minutes ago, Rample said:

My uneducated opinion...¬†Bryson was signed before residual values were a thing,¬†so his ‚ÄėFFP value‚Äô will be ¬£0, so him leaving at the end of his contract will have no FFP impact.¬†

13 minutes ago, Spanish said:

I think the value tops out at the cost rather than a revaluation

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

My uneducated opinion...¬†Bryson was signed before residual values were a thing,¬†so his ‚ÄėFFP value‚Äô will be ¬£0, so him leaving at the end of his contract will have no FFP impact.¬†

This is going to be a fun black hole to vanish into ūüėĄ¬†

I would imagine it depends on whatever asset value they assigned him in the finances - I would imagine it depends how they balance the books using asset value

I looked the other day at the 16/17 season finances and the increase in 'asset value' was about £9m - Including Nugent, Vydra and Anya as key asset additions (total spend around £14-15m?) - Which suggest Hendrick going out was maybe around £5m as an asset? 

It's possible I'm reaching here though as only skim read it

8 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

This is going to be a fun black hole to vanish into ūüėĄ¬†

I would imagine it depends on whatever asset value they assigned him in the finances - I would imagine it depends how they balance the books using asset value

I looked the other day at the 16/17 season finances and the increase in 'asset value' was about £9m - Including Nugent, Vydra and Anya as key asset additions (total spend around £14-15m?) - Which suggest Hendrick going out was maybe around £5m as an asset? 

It's possible I'm reaching here though as only skim read it

Bryson was signed for c£450k in the summer of '11 on a 3 year deal. His 'value' was therefore £0 at the end of the 13/14 season. From what i recall, residual values weren't used until afterwards.

Just a query? does that mean any player signed before 2014 as a residual value of £0? if so then its just those players(if any others)salery that is taken into account on FFP?

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Bryson was signed for c£450k in the summer of '11 on a 3 year deal. His 'value' was therefore £0 at the end of the 13/14 season. From what i recall, residual values weren't used until afterwards.

Yeh, but there's a weird loophole with football because of the 'value' of footballers - Because their value is so high they're given theoretical values as assets - For instance I don't think you could insure a player against injury or anything like that if they had a zero assets value

My take on Bryson's FFP valuation.

450k plus agents fees(X2), based on his extension. Add on 45k agents fees based on his fee, 18k for his original contract, based on a 3yr 5k a week deal, and 500k based on his 5 year extension at 20k a week. That makes total asset value of £950,000 give or take at the start of his extension, no idea if any loan fee received would offset this, so I'll leave  it out.

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

My take on Bryson's FFP valuation.

450k plus agents fees(X2), based on his extension. Add on 45k agents fees based on his fee, 18k for his original contract, based on a 3yr 5k a week deal, and 500k based on his 5 year extension at 20k a week. That makes total asset value of £950,000 give or take at the start of his extension, no idea if any loan fee received would offset this, so I'll leave  it out.

I've looked but I can't find any reliable independent up to date guidance on how clubs should manage carrying value

On 13/03/2019 at 12:37, BondJovi said:

The problem is Bryson just does the simple these days, he won't give the ball away because he never plays a risky pass. But these passes don't achieve anything because when the space does open up, he can't turn and move it forward. I find Bryson far more frustrating.

In too many games you could fail to notice Bryson on the pitch, but not in a good way. You pretty much always know Johnson is there, his failings become obvious because he tries to impose himself on the game.

Neither are the long term solution to our midfield. And I don't think either will be here next season. But on performances this season, Johnson is the far more likely to get a new deal.

We have a great chance this summer to finally rework our midfield, it would be foolish to let nostalgia get in the way.

Brysons problem is that we don’t have the focal point we once had that allowed his endless running to have some point to them 

His goals return is testament to that

I don’t know the figures but we get reliably told of the yardage he still covers by frank etc etc so it’s not a fitness issue 

the way we play now with a mobile frontman ( in the main) trying to run in behind or into the channels doesn’t allow him or other midfielders the time to get up and around a target man that allows it to stick and bring them into play 

thats just football 

23 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Brysons problem is that we don’t have the focal point we once had that allowed his endless running to have some point to them 

His goals return is testament to that

I don’t know the figures but we get reliably told of the yardage he still covers by frank etc etc so it’s not a fitness issue 

the way we play now with a mobile frontman ( in the main) trying to run in behind or into the channels doesn’t allow him or other midfielders the time to get up and around a target man that allows it to stick and bring them into play 

thats just football 

Well said, it also sums up our attacking particularly at home when teams sit back and leave no space and in many ways shows itself by the lack of many Marriott goals at home 

On 12 March 2019 at 00:29, TommyPowel said:

Hence the vegan sausage roll?

I had one from the new Greg's next to Screwfix.

it was very nice and only cost £1!

as for craig. Love him to bits. Derby legend. But time to move on.