Watchable telly

dog

Have found 'Oz' on Prime.

Totally passed me by 20 years ago,  although seen a couple of mentions on here.

Rinsing through the seasons. Love it.

Another programme that reminds me a little of 'Lost'. Set up a scenario in a particular place and with well written scripts and a ton of good actors, the series just bounces along with different characters/storylines interacting. Almost like a soap opera, but good!

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

Really enjoying SAS Rogue Heroes on BBC at the moment.

Based on true story of the formation of the SAS in Egypt 1941.

Collection of ne’er do wells under the inspirational leadership of a man with a vision.

Entertaining romp.

Someone I trust highly recommended it to me.

Did the first episode, stumbled halfway through the 2nd and can't get back on the horse.

There was a lot of jumping around which I wasn't invested enough in to care about, as it all felt a bit hammy and clichéd.  

Couldn't tell if it was light comedy or drama at times. Possibly just the mood I was in.... but you know when Guy Ritchie is setting up his characters....it had that feel to me, no real depth.

Will go back to it but I'm definitely on the fence with it.

33 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Did the first episode, stumbled halfway through the 2nd and can't get back on the horse.

There was a lot of jumping around which I wasn't invested enough in to care about, as it all felt a bit hammy and clichéd.  

Couldn't tell if it was light comedy or drama at times. Possibly just the mood I was in.... but you know when Guy Ritchie is setting up his characters....it had that feel to me, no real depth.

I guess it’s hard to portray war as entertainment no matter how you dress it up.

I struggled a bit in the first episode but once they get to their escapades it’s good stuff.

3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I wasn't going to bother with this, but have read some of the reviews on IMDb. Some of the top ones, and some of the ones that give it 1/10. 

Based simply on how horrendous those poor ones make this sound, I'm going to try watching it ?

On 18/11/2022 at 06:17, Anag Ram said:

Really enjoying SAS Rogue Heroes on BBC at the moment.

Based on true story of the formation of the SAS in Egypt 1941.

Collection of ne’er do wells under the inspirational leadership of a man with a vision.

Entertaining romp.

We're 4 episodes in and enjoying it too. A romp is a good description.

Utterly over the top in every respect with mad-keen Derby fan, Jack O'Connell doing a solid Irish accent. 

Apparently it's the most expensive British tv production of all time. 

Mrs Badger thinks the Americans will try and outdo it and make something similar about their weakling Delta Force. She may be right. 

On 18/11/2022 at 10:35, Anag Ram said:

I guess it’s hard to portray war as entertainment no matter how you dress it up.

I struggled a bit in the first episode but once they get to their escapades it’s good stuff.

Agreed. I could have called it a day after the 1st episode but each one has hit better. 

12 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

We're 4 episodes in and enjoying it too. A romp is a good description.

Utterly over the top in every respect with mad-keen Derby fan, Jack O'Connell doing a solid Irish accent. 

Apparently it's the most expensive British tv production of all time. 

Mrs Badger thinks the Americans will try and outdo it and make something similar about their weakling Delta Force. She may be right. 

There was a documentary series last year/year before about the start of the SAS - a lot of the stuff in the dramatisation is apparently true....

On 01/11/2022 at 13:52, Mostyn6 said:

I can recall seeing chat on the forum about the documentary about Woodstock ‘99. 

Trainwreck Woodstock 99. 

absolutely insane! 

Nuts isn't it? Watching the scenes of the crowd when Korn are playing is just mad - how hundreds weren't trampled to death is beyond me.

Mammals on Amazon Prime. Two episodes in and it's starting to show the usual gaps in the plot being exposed. I guess the number one is that there is no way ever that James Corden would pull the character playing his wife - just way out of this league. Basic plot is that he finds some bloke texting his wife on her phone and then goes into a convaluted trail to find out who it is. But why wouldn't he just text the person back, pretending to be his wife? All would be done in three messages, game over. Hence it is already feeling drawn out and containing lots of irrelevant scenes and plot lines that may come together nicely, but I fear they won't.

10 hours ago, BaaLocks said:

Mammals on Amazon Prime. Two episodes in and it's starting to show the usual gaps in the plot being exposed. I guess the number one is that there is no way ever that James Corden would pull the character playing his wife - just way out of this league. Basic plot is that he finds some bloke texting his wife on her phone and then goes into a convaluted trail to find out who it is. But why wouldn't he just text the person back, pretending to be his wife? All would be done in three messages, game over. Hence it is already feeling drawn out and containing lots of irrelevant scenes and plot lines that may come together nicely, but I fear they won't.

The fact that James Corden is in it is enough to stop me watching.....

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

Finished watching SAS Rogue Heroes last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It got better and better and was sad it ended.

Heard good things of The English on Amazon Prime, anybody seen it?

I loved SAS Rogue Heroes. Don't really get the carping. It doesn't take itself too seriously so I'm not sure why viewers would either. Watching the evil Nazis dispatched to an ACDC / Black Sabbath soundtrack, what's not to like. Thought our Jack was excellent too.

As for The English, I ilked it. Wasn't sure after the first episode but it builds nicely.

12 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Half way through Devil's Hour (Prime) and really enjoying it.

Only 6 episodes & it's a mix of psychological thriller, sci fi and a bit of horror thrown in. If IMDB is to be believed, it's building up to a really good ending.

Excellent. We binge-watched it over a day. One of the best series I've watched in the last few months.

9 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I loved SAS Rogue Heroes. Don't really get the carping. It doesn't take itself too seriously so I'm not sure why viewers would either. Watching the evil Nazis dispatched to an ACDC / Black Sabbath soundtrack, what's not to like. Thought our Jack was excellent too.

As for The English, I ilked it. Wasn't sure after the first episode but it builds nicely.

The English is very well made, and beautiful to look at. I've seen the first four, and got totally baffled by the timeline in episode 4, in relation to what I'd already seen. I even re watched the episode, but it didn't help much! Maybe when I watch five and six, it'll all make sense. I am pretty thick though ?