V Notts F*rest (h) match day thread

RiddingsRam

Another Forest fan here. Watched the game on TV so saw all the replays etc.

• Derby should definitely have had a penalty - clumsiness is not an excuse. Would have been a soft penalty but it was a penalty all the same.
  • Derby were all over us in the first 30 minutes, after that I thought we were marginally the better team.
  • Referee was crap for both sides - clueless.
  • Foul count was Derby 21 - Forest 11 and he missed as many decisions for you as he did for us.
  • Bogle - elbow to the head - definite red. If Darikwa's clumsiness isn't an excuse then neither was Bogle's. You can't lead with an arm like that, swinging or not.
  • Tomori - flying two footed tackle - definite red. No place in the game for tackles like that. Only reason there was no protest from Forest was that Carvalho bottled the tackle so didn't get hit - good job really as he'd probably be out for the rest of the season if he hadn't.
  • The Lawrence injury was unfortunate - nothing to do with the tackle really. As he came down he trod on Darikwa's foot and that twisted his ankle. Hope he's OK.
  • Not many clear cut chances - pretty dull game in that respect - midfield very congested so no space to play - probably because we picked both Yacob and Colback.

Draw probably a fair result.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, enlightened said:

• Derby should definitely have had a penalty - clumsiness is not an excuse. Would have been a soft penalty but it was a penalty all the same.
  • Derby were all over us in the first 30 minutes, after that I thought we were marginally the better team.
  • Foul count was Derby 21 - Forest 11 and he missed as many decisions for you as he did for us.
  • Bogle - elbow to the head - definite red. If Darikwa's clumsiness isn't an excuse then neither was Bogle's. You can't lead with an arm like that, swinging or not.
  • Tomori - flying two footed tackle - definite red. No place in the game for tackles like that. Only reason there was no protest from Forest was that Carvalho bottled the tackle so didn't get hit - good job really as he'd probably be out for the rest of the season if he hadn't.
  • The Lawrence injury was unfortunate - nothing to do with the tackle really. As he came down he trod on Darikwa's foot and that twisted his ankle. Hope he's OK.
  • Not many clear cut chances - pretty dull game in that respect - midfield very congested so no space to play - probably because we picked both Yacob and Colback.

I agree with most of your post. Much better than the baiter above.

Bogle was a lucky boy but there was no intent, lucky never the less.

Tomori was a close one but as he did not make contact I feel it was fair.

9 minutes ago, enlightened said:

That’s the game I watched

14 minutes ago, enlightened said:

Yep. Very fair summary. Thought it almost resembled a classic Karanka team performance by Forest and we couldn't raise our game. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The more balanced forest fan mentioned the penalty, read my earlier posts for my views on the penalty. 

How could a draw be a fair result when we should have been awarded a penalty after 19 minutes. What did Lawrence have to do? Take his shirt off and show the ref the stud marks on his chest? We  were on top at that point too!

Poor game in the end.

I enjoyed the first half as much as one can enjoy these games.  The first half hour went well, without actually dominating.

After 10mins, I foresaw another Bryson hat-trick... but he weakened drastically after 10 mins, and completely disappeared second half.

No stand-out performance, but no scapegoats either.  After my mild half-time confidence that all would be ok, and by the 80th minute still putting my mortgage on there being a late winner (although I couldn't predict who for!), I came away more relieved, than satisfied!  Either side could have nicked it, at any point.  As I'd say neither team deserved to win, that must mean a draw was a fair outcome?

The ref riled me, which is not in my nature, so I guess he must have been poor... or I was being extra-biased!

Certainly not the best derby we've had recently, and glad we came out of it relatively "unscathed".

All round atmosphere was poor throughout, although the NE corner was giving it their best shot to liven things up, for a change.  Enjoyed a little jig to Neil Diamond at HT.  Not very often I stay inside at HT. 

Time to stop the flags now...  We can't seem to get the volume to match the visuals!  Maybe not embarrassing, but certainly nothing to be proud of.

Final feelings... Relief... until next time!

UTR

9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The more balanced forest fan mentioned the penalty, read my earlier posts for my views on the penalty. 

9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Even the more balanced one of us said it would have been a soft penalty! Lol. Some refs give it some don't. 

A Derby fan said outside the box the foul is given every time. On Sky they watched replays and said the more you see it the more it should be a penalty. They didn't instantly say that's a stonewall penalty 

its debatable and it's not stonewall. He wasn't even trying to tackle your player he was trying to clear the ball and when he missed the ball his boot hits your player. It's certainly not an intentional foul if it's a foul. 

If if I thought it was a stonewall penalty I would say so. On the opposite side sending the guy off for the elbow would have been harsh. I think the yellow was ok. And the two footer didn't connnect so I can't see how he gets penalised for that. Your manager just needs to have a word there as if he makes challenges like that again he will be getting sent off and will cost you. 

I think a red for Tomori would have been incredibly harsh, how is it dangerous if he gets absolutely nowhere near the man. A foul, maybe, even a yellow maybe but I don’t think you can give a red card for a tackle as clean as that? 

Bogle’s I would have been screaming for a red card if it had happened the other way around, but I actually think that was about the one thing the ref dealt with very well, in calming everyone down. Osborn also deserves some credit as he didn’t make a meal out of it (possibly aware of his histrionics a couple of years ago) even with Robinson going over to him and pushing him back down to try and con the ref. 

The rest of the game was allowed to become very bitty by a ref who never allowed either team to build momentum by giving a free kick at the first opportunity, aside from when he somehow forgot that for the advantage rule to apply, you actually have to gain some sort of advantage. 

1 minute ago, Interestedparty said:

Even the more balanced one of us said it would have been a soft penalty! Lol. Some refs give it some don't. 

A Derby fan said outside the box the foul is given every time. On Sky they watched replays and said the more you see it the more it should be a penalty. They didn't instantly say that's a stonewall penalty 

its debatable and it's not stonewall. He wasn't even trying to tackle your player he was trying to clear the ball and when he missed the ball his boot hits your player. It's certainly not an intentional foul if it's a foul. 

He literally kicked him in the chest mate...

1 minute ago, Harrowram said:

How could a draw be a fair result when we should have been awarded a penalty after 19 minutes. What did Lawrence have to do? Take his shirt off and show the ref the stud marks on his chest? We  were on top at that point too!

Because.......

1) You've still got to score the penalty - and there won't be any stud marks on his chest - there wasn't a huge amount of contact and it wasn't a studs first challenge. It was a penalty though.

2) You don't know how the teams would have reacted to the 1-0 score line so everything after that would have played out differently but on balance I think Forest were the better side for longer in the game.

3) We should have been playing against 10 men for some time and probably 9 for a while.

Just trying to be objective.......

3 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

We shouldn't rely on any ref to get our win... none of them can be trusted!

We didn't do enough to win, we didn't let ourselves down enough to lose.  Same goes for them.  Neither team deserved any more, or any less, than a point each.

Pleasantly surprised about the lack of hysteria that I thought might have accompanied a less than stellar performance against the dogs.  A draw was about right.

I can't comment on the Lawrence penalty shout because I didnt see it very well from my vantage point.  I didn't think Bogle's was a red card and I'm not even sure what tackle people are talking about from Tomori (I remember what I thought was a brilliant tackle which broke up a dangerous looking counter attack). I haven't watched it back yet and I don't have the benefit of lots of replays and punditry from the East Stand so I go on my first impressions.  I would probably be a lenient ref, as I still consider football to be a contact sport and tackling to be part of the game.  

I didn't think the atmosphere was that bad to be honest, certainly compared to most games (though not up to many derbies).  I was sitting near to a group of lads in the East Stand who were making quite a bit of effort, with some success (though they spoiled it somewhat by obnoxiously shouting at and abusing others in the stand for not making any noise... which was actually a bit unfair at points but also misses the point that not everybody goes to football matches to sing.... perhaps they should, but they don't and if they wanted to then I believe the South Stand is for them).  I understand why some South Standers get a bit defensive when people in other stands have a dig about the lack of noise, particularly if you are one of those who constantly makes an effort to get things going.  However, the whole point of setting up the South Stand - and bizarrely offering cheaper tickets for it - was to create a singing area.  Many fans in that stand are not living up to their side of the bargain.  In this context,  I don't think it's particularly fair to point the finger at other stands for being quiet.  If the South Stand gets going it also often brings other stands into it too.   Having said all that, there were moments last night where things were quite good, it just tends to peter out.  

Obviously, more excitement on the pitch would've helped too.  Crunching tackles (if they are allowed), chances, building up pressure all help to get things going. Always chicken and egg.  Do we get the players going, or do they get us going? Either way, we didn't sustain enough pressure for long enough.  The ref certainly didn't help with that.  Stopping play everytime a Forest player was touched.  As I've seen said elsewhere, notwithstanding the 'big' decisions he may or may not have gotten right, his general game management was terrible.... and that "advantage" he played in the second half was just a shocker.

Oh well.  Main thing is we didn't lose to that lot, we're still in the mix, we're still above the gumps and we can still improve.  In many ways I think we are probably in a bit of a false position based on how we have been playing recently.  I often thought that last season too.  The big difference for me, however, is that even though we can play a lot better, at least we are trying to play postively and on the front foot rather than the turgid dross we had to endure last year. 

14 minutes ago, enlightened said:

Because.......

1) You've still got to score the penalty - and there won't be any stud marks on his chest - there wasn't a huge amount of contact and it wasn't a studs first challenge. It was a penalty though.

2) You don't know how the teams would have reacted to the 1-0 score line so everything after that would have played out differently but on balance I think Forest were the better side for longer in the game.

3) We should have been playing against 10 men for some time and probably 9 for a while.

Just trying to be objective.......

Darinkwa would and should have been on a yellow card and we should have given the opportunity be leading one nil. Stroud's decision was game changing in a tight game.

14 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

We shouldn't rely on any ref to get our win... none of them can be trusted!

We didn't do enough to win, we didn't let ourselves down enough to lose.  Same goes for them.  Neither team deserved any more, or any less, than a point each.

The referee is present on the pitch to apply the laws of the game. Kicking a member of the opposing team in the chest is a foul. A foul in the penalty box is a penalty.If we can't rely on the referee to apply the laws of the game we may as well not have one!

Re the penalty. I'm in the East Stand up that end and first thought was that it wasn't and Lawrence went down like Lawrence is prone to do. None of the players went up. The crowd didn't go up. Can't have been that stonewall as people make out?

Haven't seen it back on the telly but those who saw it on TV and said it was absolutely a pen do have the benefit of 100 replays.

I just wonder if some people are clinging onto it as a way of an excuse for not winning. 

Archived