V Notts F*rest (h) match day thread

RiddingsRam

42 minutes ago, Alpha said:

No, you're probably right. It was a congested area and they were probably frustrated in there too. Just from our perspective we lacked composure in there and gave away the ball with sloppy touches more often than under genuine pressure.

I think the key to the midfield failing was Brysons yellow. It inhibited him. He’d started quite well and was doing some good off ball runs but, without the ball and on a yellow he harried for sure, yet you could see it was without the last bit of conviction so he looked and was less effective. Add in the misplaced passes from all over and it was a dogs dinner in the middle of the park. There was a moment near the end when Malone pulled a difficult ball down out of the sky beautifully, killed it dead, then with loads of time and space, played a dire over hit pass to someone off side anyway. Sort of summed up the evening.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So why didn't we exploit forest's makeshift defence? Part of it is the poor ball control and sloppy passing, but it wasn't for focussing too much on long balls over the top. Our normal inter-passing wasn't working, and we discovered that the long ball caused problems - the Forest defender's were not comfortable at all. Unfortunately Forest already knew how to deal with the threat - fall over, then get up and take the free-kick! Simples! Typified right near the end when Jack Marriott took the ball as the Forest man slipped under pressure, but with no contact whatsoever. That put Marriott and Nugent in open space and in on goal, but the twit with a whistle blew it yet again. That is a major reason why we didn't threaten more. 

And a major factor behind us surrendering midfield was that progressively throughout the game we were increasingly reticent to challenge for the ball, as even stepping on a blade of grass which an opponent has recently being treading on was deemed a free-kick. Although Bryson is off the pace at the moment, it certainly nullified his ability to harry and challenge his opponents.

When i found out that Stroud was the appointed referee, my first thought was "What a prat!", although that isn't very fair on the term "prat". I knew what he would be like, and actually woke up at 2 in the morning having dreamed that he had completely ignored a two-footed challenge which smashed Marriott's legs and finished his career, and I physically jumped out of bed to go and have rant at the ref, before I realised that it was just a bad dream. But it could have happened! Oh, and Marriott's legs are fine!

Finally I too was baffled why Mount was taken off instead of Bryson, but that probably is why Frank Lampard is a football manager and I drive lorries!

2 hours ago, Interestedparty said:

The good news is you won't get Stroud every game so your promotion to Premier League won't be prevented by him

Blatant trolling now mods. Bris was banned for less.

Surely some sort of expected etiquette as a guest to the forum?

3 hours ago, Interestedparty said:

That was a foul by Marriott on our defender near the end

He probably could have got the ball without fouling him but he did foul him

You are imagining things

It was an accidental impact and by your own previous assessment anything unintentional is not a foul.  You are getting very boring now and starting to stink the place out

On 17/12/2018 at 23:00, RamNut said:

Slightly disappointing. Could have gone either way.

i thought the ref had a shocker with numerous decisions in forest's favour and i don't normally get too excited by the ref.

the highlight was wilsons volley

the low point was having to sit near kenny 'the walrus' burns. Bob kirkland invites him along every year. (Bob - why not invite kevin hector for once?)

The other highlight was i realised i walking to the ground just behind the legend that is @B4ev6is

yellow coat. Headphones on. Head down. dad in attendance.

Tempted to give him a big hug and say hello. But chickened out.

Another time.

Sorry mate

I was listening sport scence on radio derby.

I know a draw on Monday wasn't the best result and the performance was far from it but if we look at the top 7 as of now and look at the results weve had against them then we should be feeling positive. We actually need to improve against the sides like Rotherham and Bolton which we should be able to do rather easily. If you also take into context that 7 out of the 24 goals that weve conceded so far have come in 2 games (Villa and Leeds) then our overall season looks rather good.

1. Leeds - Lost 1-4 (H)

2. Norwich - Drew 1-1 (H)

3.  West Brom - Won 1-4 (A)

4. DERBY

5. Sheffield United - Won 2-1 (H)

6. Middlesbrough - Drew 1-1 (A)

7. Nottingham Forest - Drew 0-0 (H)

Only lost to the top side in the league out of the top 7! if we can pick up some points from the tough games over the end of December and early January in which we play 4 or 5 of the top 7 then we should be in a good position to start our push for 2nd and 1st place. Alot rely's on how we cope over that period and what we do in the January window, for me were 2/3 signings away in certain positions from being serious contenders this season. COYR keep fighting!!!!!

On 17/12/2018 at 08:30, Kinder said:

Totally ageee with this mate, I’ve seen him live loads (Beautful South and with Jacqui Abbot, sadly missed The Housemartins) and he’s brilliant. Did you see the documentary on Channel 4 last week, From Hull To Heatongrad?  It’s superb.

Missed it but looking forward to watching it soon on catch up.

Had a mate who lived near Grafton Street in Hull who used to see him regularly in a pub down Beverley Road. Although is he tee total now?

On ‎18‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:06, TuffLuff said:

Thought Bogle was our motm overall

100% agree with you on that one - Bogle actually looked like he could've carried the ball right into the heart of their defence at times, but then played it square to a team mate instead.  He has a fair bit of pace, isn't exactly short of skill while carrying the ball and ought to be encouraged to have a punt at defences from time to time.

Both me and my lad thought he was MOTM on the night

Archived