Peschisolido Story

Stive Pesley

The story itself is not that interesting, it just illustrates what we've all known a long time (that Wee Billy was nuts!) - but what struck me was the clip from the WBA play-off final as the camera pans down our starting line-up....jesus we looked like a Sunday League pub team! How did we even get to the final, let alone win it!?

Still one of the best days of my life mind you ?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, StivePesley said:

The story itself is not that interesting, it just illustrates what we've all known a long time (that Wee Billy was nuts!) - but what struck me was the clip from the WBA play-off final as the camera pans down our starting line-up....jesus we looked like a Sunday League pub team! How did we even get to the final, let alone win it!?

Still one of the best days of my life mind you ?

The story is nuts. I like the idea (very much) of wrong footing the opposition by saying a player's injured and out of contention, but Billy did it to his own players - and6in the playoff final. 

Surely you should be training and drilling your team so that everyone knows what they're doing, rather than having your own players discover late in the day you'd told one of them to feign injury? Moronic. 

BD didn't have that many options in his squad. Barnes was struggling with injury. Maybe the pesch story was also related to that.

Perhaps he knew that barnes wouldn't be starting and didn't want to give WBA the psychological boost of knowing that, which they might infer from knowing that pesch was playing instead. 

30 minutes ago, RamNut said:

BD didn't have that many options in his squad. Barnes was struggling with injury. Maybe the pesch story was also related to that.

Perhaps he knew that barnes wouldn't be starting and didn't want to give WBA the psychological boost of knowing that, which they might infer from knowing that pesch was playing instead. 

Or just don’t bomb Lupoli out because he’s agreed to sign for Fiorentina…

9 hours ago, rammieib said:

I actually remember that day being so disappointed when he started lol.

I spent the whole game moaning he was playing because he was rubbish (never rated him), and that Giles Barnes should've been playing. Some guy in front eventually told me to shut up (I was like 16ish at the time), but then gave me a little cuddle when Giles Barnes set up the winner.

Lesson taught... I am a tactical genius.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The story is nuts. I like the idea (very much) of wrong footing the opposition by saying a player's injured and out of contention, but Billy did it to his own players - and6in the playoff final. 

Surely you should be training and drilling your team so that everyone knows what they're doing, rather than having your own players discover late in the day you'd told one of them to feign injury? Moronic. 

Moronic....? Did it pay off? Did we win...?

genius.  

Still his only success in the play-offs? His curious style has failed more than it has been successful

He's only 54 and not worked in football management for nearly 5 years now. Draw your own conclusions.

On the subject of Pesch stories though - my missus was a student in Sheffield during  the early 2000s and he was allegedly a regular at the student clubs. Always seemed quite keen to help the nursing students with their dissertations ?

You can mock Billy all you like but as someone mentioned earlier...have you actually seen the line up we had that day...? He managed to get a team with Pearson, Pesch, Leacock, Bywater, McEverly etc etc etc to get promoted...!!

Promotion....Something that only Jim Smith and Arthur Cox have done for us in the last 30 years......

4 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Still his only success in the play-offs? His curious style has failed more than it has been successful

He's only 54 and not worked in football management for nearly 5 years now. Draw your own conclusions.

On the subject of Pesch stories though - my missus was a student in Sheffield during  the early 2000s and he was allegedly a regular at the student clubs. Always seemed quite keen to help the nursing students with their dissertations ?

Depends what you would class as success/ failure. Can you remember Preston, Derby and Forest being promotion contenders before he arrived?

42 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Can’t have been much more than 3 maybe 4 years since Burley took us to the play offs.

Wasn't it two. Burley left after the play offs, then Phil Orange and Westley, then Billy?

18 hours ago, StivePesley said:
what struck me was the clip from the WBA play-off final as the camera pans down our starting line-up....jesus we looked like a Sunday League pub team! How did we even get to the final, let alone win it!?

You shouldn't have worried, it just needed Rob Earnshaw, Claude Davis and Benny Fielhaber to make sure everything would be alright.

Wait a sec...

Archived