European Super League

AndyinLiverpool

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring it on. Dunno what it is but we'll win it.

I know theres like 15points or something separating Man City from midtable after just 11 games. The title race is down to 3 and City have like a huge goal difference. 

There's 2 Premier League's. One has 6 teams and the other has 14. 

It's basically 14 punchbags and we all tune in to see which boxer tires first. 

I don't know how Leicester did it but I wish they'd stuck around at the top to crash the party. It's a right set up. 

I wish they'd do it in all honesty. I can't think of anything I'd like more than "the big 5" and all their plastic fans buggering off to form another league. The only problem is that the Premier League are so greedy and the FA are so spineless that those teams would likely be allowed to field reserve teams in the English league alongside their new competition.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

I wish they'd do it in all honesty. I can't think of anything I'd like more than "the big 5" and all their plastic fans buggering off to form another league. The only problem is that the Premier League are so greedy and the FA are so spineless that those teams would likely be allowed to field reserve teams in the English league alongside their new competition.

Didnt Celtic and Scottish football think that about Rangers. We need them, they need us.

There is another *thing* going on at the same time... but getting much less coverage.  That is FIFA's plan to establish a global league to rival the Champions League.

UEFA in the middle of a perfect storm... their club dominance being threatened by FIFA and by a possible European breakaway. According to the FT, FIFA have secured $25bn from banks to launch the league. 

For more on the FIFA plans see this article: https://www.ft.com/content/245da042-dd1a-11e8-8f50-cbae5495d92b

10 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

There is another *thing* going on at the same time... but getting much less coverage.  That is FIFA's plan to establish a global league to rival the Champions League.

UEFA in the middle of a perfect storm... their club dominance being threatened by FIFA and by a possible European breakaway. According to the FT, FIFA have secured $25bn from banks to launch the league. 

For more on the FIFA plans see this article: https://www.ft.com/content/245da042-dd1a-11e8-8f50-cbae5495d92b

The European League is going to be a global league anyway. Liverpool v Bayern in Kuala Lumpur, Man City v Real Madrid in Tokyo etc. Global advertising will draw games and kick off times to suit the biggest markets. And that means east Asia. Sooner or later, franchises in China will provide teams etc etc etc.

Liverpool or Man Utd fans, fort example will see only a handful of games at home a season, with no domestic league, no European football. Though they might be allowed to enter the FA cup I suppose.

The idea seems to run like the NFL, with no relegation and it would no doubt mean a lot of money pulled out of the English leagues. Players would love to play in it, that's for sure. It would also open up the market to games around the world: Dubai, USA, etc. Owners of the big, big clubs will be licking their lips at the money available. I can't see why any of them, as none of them are traditionalist, would turn down such an offer. 

It would leave the Premier League in peace to just be the country's top domestic division. Arguably, it would increase the number of Saturday 3pm KOs as the focus for TV games wouldn't be that high - noted that there still would be games on TV and changes would be made, but not on a similar scale. For the everyday supporter of the clubs left behind, it would likely become a throwback to 'the good owd days' for the supporters of teams in the Super League, it would become an unbearable. 

I imagine owners of Premier League clubs, and some Championship, will put their club up for sale due to the inevitable cut in funding, which will ultimately mean the wages of average players will have to drop, etc, etc, etc.

It certainly has its pros and cons, not just cons. I don't mind the big clubs having their marketed super league, if it means the traditional clubs in England can go back to just enjoying the football.

4 minutes ago, Matt H said:

Great idea if you want to completely devalue winning the domestic league, making it a hollow, meaningless non-event, a shallow victory,  by the simple virtue of not actually playing against the best teams your country has to offer.

I wasn’t a fan of your rebranding, you added an exotic touch to the forum, we’re now left with a parsnip.

But I can’t stay mad at you for long with posts like these which are spot on. 

Leicester City’s title despite being a freak year in which all the big boys and Spurs were dire would not be as special if they were all playing in a some exclusive rich boys league.

I also agree with the flip flop wearer that we need them as much as they need us. Would be a very dark day for football if this goes through. Be careful what you wish for.

Call their bluff and play hard ball. No players of any super league clubs can represeent their countries, bans from all domestic cup competitions, no agent/agency representing a SL player can represent a domestic player, any return to domestic leagues will mean starting at the bottom of the pyramid etc etc. Then put TV matches directly up against them except where a match in Asia is on at 3 in the morning.

Just be glad we don't support one of those clubs whose sole aim is to increase their income and returns to investors 

3 minutes ago, David said:

I wasn’t a fan of your rebranding, you added an exotic touch to the forum, we’re now left with a parsnip.

But I can’t stay mad at you for long with posts like these which are spot on. 

Leicester City’s title despite being a freak year in which all the big boys and Spurs were dire would not be as special if they were all playing in a some exclusive rich boys league.

I also agree with the flip flop wearer that we need them as much as they need us. Would be a very dark day for football if this goes through. Be careful what you wish for.

And don't assume the impact would stop there. 

The Premier League would want to make changes to preserve their revenue streams. Maybe they too would create a no relegation league and pull in the big boys like Villa, Sunderland, Sheff W & Leeds to try and redress the loss.  Perhaps there might be a desire to bring in Rangers and Celtic. Or more adventurous still... invite teams gutted to miss out on the Super League (say Ajax, PSV, Dortmund or Monaco).

The Premier League is currently the richest league in the world and the people that run it would want to do everything to preserve that.

Couldn’t be more against this, the moment you allow a new league with no access is when it becomes impossible for anyone new to actually reach the top. The way things are, no matter how slim the chances are, any professional football team could rise to become the best in the world. This would make the best in the world a closed bracket, and the rest of us wallowing beneath, with our best hope in winning a devalued domestic league. The moment the hope of reaching the top is removed from a sport, what’s the point in trying to rise up, if we know we’ll always be second fiddle to the elite no matter how hard we try, who would want to play for such a team?

The moment the limit a team can achieve in a sport is not the limit of the sport itself, something is very wrong.

14 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

The moment the limit a team can achieve in a sport is not the limit of the sport itself, something is very wrong.

Something is already very wrong, in that money for those at the top is prioritised over sporting competition. 

At the risk of getting eye rolls from the usual suspects, it's the inevitable endgame of everything in a capitalist system. We can't discuss the politics of it, so this will only be half a conversation, but that's the reality.

Blame Preston North End, or whoever it was, that first sought an advantage by paying a professional player.

21 minutes ago, Gap tooth ram said:

I'm assuming as double European cup winners, Forest are automatically included.

They won the European cup? Twice? 

Didn't know that,  they should mention it more.

3 hours ago, Lambchop said:

Something is already very wrong, in that money for those at the top is prioritised over sporting competition. 

At the risk of getting eye rolls from the usual suspects, it's the inevitable endgame of everything in a capitalist system. We can't discuss the politics of it, so this will only be half a conversation, but that's the reality.

Blame Preston North End, or whoever it was, that first sought an advantage by paying a professional player.

Or blame Derby County, the first club that tried to introduce shirt sponsorship.

Archived