Should Davies start against Sheffield United

Curtains

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, the back 6 are doing well. They are performing quite well.

Yeah, Tomori can't judge the flight of the ball and costs a few goals but his speed and strength have saved us far more often. He's also better than Keogh on the ball and his long range passing has created opportunities. 

Right now our front 5 are a mess. We are relying on the back 6 to move the ball well and pop it through the openings. We get hit on the counter a lot and I just think right now we need the pace and passing of Keogh and Tomori.

When the front 5 can keep possession  in the final third more reliably then maybe we won't have to keep building from the back so often. Then maybe Davies can come in for Keogh. 

Tough call for FL and I guess it comes down to what he values most.

If he thinks defensive attributes are most important defender, he replaces Tomori. 

If he thinks a ball playing centre half is more important then Davies stays on the bench.

I'm sure they will have done their homework on Sheff Utd and pick accordingly.

Either way I'm not too fussed, I don't think our defence has been much of a problem, it's our lack of creating chances that needs addressing right now.

5 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

Back 3 for me then play Bogle and Malone more advanced I think it will make us harder to beat with more attacking options and we can get Waghorn and Marriot up front together with Mount just behind.

This could work. Keogh and Tomori are both fast enough and good enough on the ball to cover our high fullbacks and Davies will improve us defending high balls in the box. Interesting.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

No. He wasn't exactly on top form before he got injured.

Not in top form? In that single game this season he played in?

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Needs to be fit but see Keogh and Davies as our paring. Tomori looks good on the ball but has cost us a few times.

He has but he has made some amazing recoveries. Ones where the player looks clean through on goal and then Tomori pops up. 

Is Tomori a RB first and CB second or the other way around? He's too good to drop but he's hopeless at judging the flight of a ball. At QPR it looked like a free header and he jumped under it. Ball landed at their players feet 6 yard out! 

14 hours ago, Alpha said:

Nah, the back 6 are doing well. They are performing quite well.

Yeah, Tomori can't judge the flight of the ball and costs a few goals but his speed and strength have saved us far more often. He's also better than Keogh on the ball and his long range passing has created opportunities. 

Right now our front 5 are a mess. We are relying on the back 6 to move the ball well and pop it through the openings. We get hit on the counter a lot and I just think right now we need the pace and passing of Keogh and Tomori.

When the front 5 can keep possession  in the final third more reliably then maybe we won't have to keep building from the back so often. Then maybe Davies can come in for Keogh. 

I'm with you all the way to the last sentence - cost you a 'Like' I'm afraid ? - but besides that exactly right. It's all too easy to blame the defence but when it has been a sloppy pass that has given away possession and turned your whole team on it's heels then it's hardly surprising if the defence is not lined up in training ground formation. Johnson and (sorry!) Mount were prime culprits for this at Loftus Road.

Archived