Derby v Villa Ticket Cost

rammieib

13 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

On the other hand, you've said you were happy to pay £76 rather than £40, which I guess you could have with a little effort, so why should the club pass up that revenue?

Yes, I am lucky to be able to afford it... My point was never about little Angry and myself..

Why should the club isolate a section of its support base? People travel hundreds of miles when they can to follow our club. Loads of reasons why they are not season ticket holders or even know any. A season ticket holder could give that ticket to his mate who supports Burton or the like. Or does that ticket holder also have to have a customer ID?

If it’s about giving revenue away, why do it at all. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What system is this?

They have a system which assigned a certain amount of points based on ticket purchases over a certain amount of time.

A season ticket would give you a head start, then every match ticket bought home or away would earn you a few more etc. Points are on a rolling basis over a period of time, which would seem to be longer than just the current season.

I'm not sure if they offer discounts based on the number of points held for home matches, but it seems the fairest way to allocate away ticket priority at least.

You get 10 points per match, so 230 points for a ST upfront, then the ticket priority is based on points accrued, over a number of season's from the looks of it.

Although having just looked, it still seems to be loaded in favour of ST holders with the required amount of points, as against non ST who may have the same.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/tickets/ticket-priority-points/

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Bolton away tickets £32, QPR away tickets £35, I'm not sure if you realise but Derby are by no means the only club in this division charging 'silly' prices. Really not sure why you think this would cause embarrassment to the club?

You could get one for QPR for £29 to be fair. £36 is a bit rubbish.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Bolton away tickets £32, QPR away tickets £35, I'm not sure if you realise but Derby are by no means the only club in this division charging 'silly' prices. Really not sure why you think this would cause embarrassment to the club?

I think any club charging more than £25 is embarrassing. So yes Bolton, yes to QPR and yes to us. Thousands upon thousands of empty seats at the home games now. 

Look on TV, ball goes towards North Stand and it's harder to find people now than it is empty seats behind the goal.

Lower attendances are taking just a little bit of atmosphere away for me. I know the other 7000 or so missing are plastics who only want to see us win 4-0 but you have to admit, walking in and seeing a (nearly) full ground is pretty special.

And finally, no Championship game should ever cost £36 to go and watch it. 

Were they restricted view?

£36 is extremely rubbish but in no way out of line with what other clubs in this division charge. 

Sorry G Star but I disagree. Leeds and Wednesday aside, who else charges £35 plus?

Bristol City and Bolton at £32, Norwich, Swansea, Middlesborough and Villa both at £30. QPR £29, Rotherham £23, Blackburn mid twenties, Reading £20 etc

Hell, even Forest are only charging £20 for some games although I suspect their game against us will be North of £30.

3 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Sorry G Star but I disagree. Leeds and Wednesday aside, who else charges £35 plus?

Bristol City and Bolton at £32, Norwich, Swansea, Middlesborough and Villa both at £30. QPR £29, Rotherham £23, Blackburn mid twenties, Reading £20 etc

Hell, even Forest are only charging £20 for some games although I suspect their game against us will be North of £30.

Forest season tickets are available for £95 for those 23 or under .   Too be far that's great value at £5 per finger

7 hours ago, rammieib said:

I think you're being a bit selective with your facts here.

Is your gripe with home pricing, away pricing or both?

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

I think any club charging more than £25 is embarrassing. So yes Bolton, yes to QPR and yes to us. Thousands upon thousands of empty seats at the home games now. 

Look on TV, ball goes towards North Stand and it's harder to find people now than it is empty seats behind the goal.

Lower attendances are taking just a little bit of atmosphere away for me. I know the other 7000 or so missing are plastics who only want to see us win 4-0 but you have to admit, walking in and seeing a (nearly) full ground is pretty special.

And finally, no Championship game should ever cost £36 to go and watch it. 

Agree with most of that to be fair.

What research is there to say that lowering prices will bring back the fans? 

How much would they have to be lowered? 

I think most are in agreement that matchday tickets should not be priced lower than season ticket prices.

So what are we looking at, lowering them by £5 to £12?

Are huge numbers of people that price sensitive?  And that's me asking a genuine question not being an arse!

£12 wouldn't even buy you 4 pints these days.

Guess it all boils down to what people would rather spend their money on. 

Agree with most of that to be fair.

What research is there to say that lowering prices will bring back the fans? 

How much would they have to be lowered? 

I think most are in agreement that matchday tickets should not be priced lower than season ticket prices.

So what are we looking at, lowering them by £5 to £12?

Are huge numbers of people that price sensitive?  And that's me asking a genuine question not being an arse!

£12 wouldn't even buy you 4 pints these days.

Guess it all boils down to what people would rather spend their money on. 

My gripes are as follows:

1) I don't want our club to fall the same way as Leeds/Wednesday whereby other fans across the country look at what they are charged to come to Pride Park and criticise.

2) I'm not saying lowering the price to £20/£25 every game will bring back thousands but I think we all agree that it will add more onto the gate. (Home and away fans). We only need to look at the comments on here or the recent poll I think someone did on Twitter to suggest it will do.

3) If the Premier League agree that away tickets should be capped at £30 (I know clubs get a subsidy to do this) but that has bene felt as an appropriate amount to charge for a Premier League product. So a Championship product shouldn't be higher.

13 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Yes, I am lucky to be able to afford it... My point was never about little Angry and myself..

Why should the club isolate a section of its support base? People travel hundreds of miles when they can to follow our club. Loads of reasons why they are not season ticket holders or even know any. A season ticket holder could give that ticket to his mate who supports Burton or the like. Or does that ticket holder also have to have a customer ID?

If it’s about giving revenue away, why do it at all. 

We could have got you a couple of tickets mate.

70 quid to you.

Isn't there something here about reciprocity in ticket pricing? I know where clubs have set lower prices for our fixtures then we've done the same for theirs.

It's a bit unfortunate that most Championship clubs see Derby as a 'big match' so they price it accordingly. This forces us to do the same.

Also, it's easy for Premier League Clubs to accept a £30 cap because their serious income comes from tv rights. Tickets sales are still a much larger proportion of our income.

On the basis of your argument, @rammieib, then non-league clubs shouldn't be charging £17 a game, or League Two clubs £20+ but of course they do, as it's an even greater part of their income!

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

My gripes are as follows:

1) I don't want our club to fall the same way as Leeds/Wednesday whereby other fans across the country look at what they are charged to come to Pride Park and criticise.

2) I'm not saying lowering the price to £20/£25 every game will bring back thousands but I think we all agree that it will add more onto the gate. (Home and away fans). We only need to look at the comments on here or the recent poll I think someone did on Twitter to suggest it will do.

3) If the Premier League agree that away tickets should be capped at £30 (I know clubs get a subsidy to do this) but that has bene felt as an appropriate amount to charge for a Premier League product. So a Championship product shouldn't be higher.

Ok so I'll go along with the lowering the price route. It attracts a few more fans but the club revenues actually fall.

First of all, who is going to make up the shortfall? Do we increase merchandise prices? Give the players a pay cut? Continue to see our prize asset every season?

A good test of the price sensitivity argument will be the Forest match, our most expensive home game of the season, what sort of attendance will we be looking at? Somewhere between 20 and 22 thousand based on our gates so far?

Always say the same on this topic. I understand supply and demand and I'm aware other clubs charge similar prices, but wouldn't it be great if our club led the way in pricing strategy and brought the price down regardless of 'size of game'? From a moral perspective that is, if we forget the financial hit for a moment. 

One thing to note is that as a business, the money to be made for football clubs is from TV revenue in the premier league. See how many clubs would've turned a profit even without any ticket sales in the prem in 2017:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Whilst we're not running at a profit currently I know I'm spouting a pipedream. I've always wondered whether having a sell out every game by lowering prices dramatically might help in the long run though, if it helps us achieve promotion.

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Ok so I'll go along with the lowering the price route. It attracts a few more fans but the club revenues actually fall.

First of all, who is going to make up the shortfall? Do we increase merchandise prices? Give the players a pay cut? Continue to see our prize asset every season?

A good test of the price sensitivity argument will be the Forest match, our most expensive home game of the season, what sort of attendance will we be looking at? Somewhere between 20 and 22 thousand based on our gates so far?

Let's use some simple maths - forget season ticket holders and away fans here.

4000 paying fans x 23 games x £28 average ticket value (I've removed VAT other £30) = 2.576 Million income

6000 paying fans x 23 games x £20 average ticket value (I've removed VAT, so this is really £24) = 2.76 Million

So for £6-£7 less per ticket, do I think we would put an extra 2000 on the attendance over the average of the season? I don't think anyone knows that unless they actually try it?

I think if a ticket was available for every game at £25 we would see more people attending the bigger matches (Villa, Wednesday, Leeds, Boro, Stoke).

Season Ticket holders are not losing out as their prices are still cheaper on average (as well as a seat guaranteed).

Forest game is probably the only match which is not price sensitive.

On 10/10/2018 at 13:24, rammieib said:

From £36. Means a Cat B seat probably in the region of £40.

Season Ticket holders can buy a (friends) ticket for £20 which is fair. Not sure if it means they can sit anywhere.

Away fans therefore charged £36? That's a sham and a further embarrassment for DCFC. I wonder if Villa season ticket holders will be able to get a ticket for £20???

Just a thought - the silly season of ticket prices seems to be in correlation with Stephen Pearson becoming the CEO. I hope the two are not connected as I like the guy and he comes across well.

Villa fans whinging like buggery about the price, which yes, is £36

4 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don’t irresponsibly spend money on transfers as we have for most of the last three years? 

Our wage bill rose by £10,000,000 in 15/16 and it’s been higher than that ever since. 

4 hours ago, cannable said:

Don’t irresponsibly spend money on transfers as we have for most of the last three years? 

Our wage bill rose by £10,000,000 in 15/16 and it’s been higher than that ever since. 

Kind of agree, but I also have a good enough memory to remember a couple of years before that when there was the outrage at the board for only spending 'Barker type fees'...

£36 for Derby v Villa in the Championship?

It’s funny that the club are quick to shame United for charging £40+ for cup games at Old Trafford, yet we think it’s OK to charge £35+ for a league game between two mid-table second tier sides.

This is why I’ve only been to six home games in five years. Our pricing strategy is so out of touch.

When I lived in Naples last year, I went to the San Paolo five times in six months - including some high profile games v Roma and v Lazio - and I never once winced at the price and it certainly never came close to the local equivalent of £36.

How can it be consistently more expensive to watch Championship football than high level European football?

For example, you can pay €45 in total and get an adult ticket to both of Napoli’s remaining home games in the Champions League this season. So in essence, you can watch Koulibaly, Hamsik, Insigne, Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar et al for €45 live from one of the most atmospheric stadiums in Europe and you get another CL game free of charge.

Yet for the same amount, you get Derby v Villa and a bag of Maltesers...

Archived