Derby v Villa Ticket Cost

rammieib

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

£36 for Derby v Villa in the Championship?

It’s funny that the club are quick to shame United for charging £40+ for cup games at Old Trafford, yet we think it’s OK to charge £35+ for a league game between two mid-table second tier sides.

This is why I’ve only been to six home games in five years. Our pricing strategy is so out of touch.

When I lived in Naples last year, I went to the San Paolo five times in six months - including some high profile games v Roma and v Lazio - and I never once winced at the price and it certainly never came close to the local equivalent of £36.

How can it be consistently more expensive to watch Championship football than high level European football?

For example, you can pay €45 in total and get an adult ticket to both of Napoli’s remaining home games in the Champions League this season. So in essence, you can watch Koulibaly, Hamsik, Insigne, Cavani, Mbappe and Neymar et al for €45 live from one of the most atmospheric stadiums in Europe and you get another CL game free of charge.

Yet for the same amount, you get Derby v Villa and a bag of Maltesers...

Correct about the prices being silly, incorrect about the prices being out of touch.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Correct about the prices being silly, incorrect about the prices being out of touch.

Maybe not out of touch in the sense that a lot of clubs at our level do the same.

But certainly out of touch with the fan base. 25,000 average attendance this season despite all of the fanfare surrounding Lampard and 27,000 for the home leg of a play-off semi final last season speaks volumes.

For a club that is capable of getting attendances of 28-30,000 and more and for a club that has been in contention for promotion for the last 5 years, something is amiss.

We have been in the Championship for ten years now - so even the high profile games have very little appeal when you are asked to pay £30+ time and time again. When it’s all said and done, for each day out, you are left with little change from £50. And you have to think could this money be better spent.

It’s a bit daft that it is conceivable for someone to fly abroad and watch top flight football for a similar price to two tickets for Villa at home.

On 11/10/2018 at 14:08, mike93rh said:

Always say the same on this topic. I understand supply and demand and I'm aware other clubs charge similar prices, but wouldn't it be great if our club led the way in pricing strategy and brought the price down regardless of 'size of game'? From a moral perspective that is, if we forget the financial hit for a moment. 

One thing to note is that as a business, the money to be made for football clubs is from TV revenue in the premier league. See how many clubs would've turned a profit even without any ticket sales in the prem in 2017:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44850888

Whilst we're not running at a profit currently I know I'm spouting a pipedream. I've always wondered whether having a sell out every game by lowering prices dramatically might help in the long run though, if it helps us achieve promotion.

Morals ?who does he play for?

It’s also frightening to think what we might charge on a game by game basis if we get promoted again.

If we see fit to charge fans £36 for games at this level, what will fans have to pay to watch us at a higher level?

£55 for Liverpool at home? £40 for Bournemouth at home?

I think the club makes it too easy for fans to stay away when the prices are so high.

I don’t even think it matters if the team are doing well - we were ‘the worst team in history’ and PP topped 30,000 every game!

The passion for the club is there, maybe it’s fair to say value for money is not.

4 hours ago, Jourdan said:

The passion for the club is there, maybe it’s fair to say value for money is not.

Is it?

For me a lot of the passion has been sucked from the game.

As a 17/18 year old I was probably spending 60/70% of my income on my season ticket and following The Rams/England around the country.

The reason being it was the only game I could get to see live, topped up with an hour of highlights on Match of the Day on a Saturday night.

I'd go to the match and sing/shout until my voice had gone, week in week out.

Everyone else's results I'd find out on Motd or in the green un that night or on Sunday morning. 

These days people go to the ground and far too many spend half of the match checking other teams scores, their accas, their fantasy team, what's happening on Facebook. 

Why is this? Probably because there will be another 9 or 10 matches that they can watch during the week.

All I was bothered about when I was a my most passionate was Derby and England, I couldn't have cared less about how much possession certain teams had or how many passes another team was making.

I know there are still die hards out there but in increasing dwindling numbers in my opinion.

It all depends on how you measure passion.

I think it’s natural for football to become less of a priority over time when you have a career, a family and bills to juggle. We might go to fewer games but the passion remains. We just find different outlets. 

Our support is as passionate as ever. For me, it’s a great show of passion to tune into Radio Derby or Soccer Saturday, to message on football forums round the clock, to unearth streams from the darkest corner of the Internet, to follow text commentaries, to stay connected wherever you may be when you can’t make the game, given all of the distractions - technology, social media, travel etc. - we’ve mentioned.

Maybe our passion is not as we knew it and that’s why it’s fading.

Archived