Ones That Got Away

Coneheadjohn

On 06/10/2018 at 15:00, Matlock Old Ram said:

Bobby Moore and Trevor Brooking.....it’s was rumoured that BC put in a bid of £500k for the pair!!!!

Clough did go for Moore.  Openly admitted in a TV interview after retirement that he met him on the quite, he agreed to come if Derby approached West Ham then Moore got a fit of conscience told West Ham about the meeting and it went pear shaped.

Jimmy Greaves was also massively close to coming to Derby but choose West Ham as he had a small business in London.  Reckons he regretted it greatly.

On 11/01/2023 at 18:10, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I think one of them may have been at Derby as a youngster?. 

Both born in Derby, Ben Osbourn was on the books with Derby up until he was 9yrs old, then was released and picked up by Forest straight away. Jamaal Lascelles started off at Forest, his dad played profesional basketball for Derby Trailblazers.

12 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Don't remember Mark Viduka link, but I remember Billy Davies being our Manager when we enquired about 18yr old Andy Carroll.

i remember we had an option to buy Carroll and spent it on a loan fee for Ellington.  Biggest miss out I remember was Yakubu.  Couldn't sign him in 2002 under Gregory for a million just before the poo hit the fan due to not enough European appearances.  Then he went to Portsmouth to get them promoted.  Cheers 

Edited by Gee SCREAMER !!

26 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Two that would’ve been complete and utter game changers were Lubos Kubik, and Ivo Knoflicek two Czechoslovakia internationals that were top class.

Shame that didn’t materialise

remember this fella eventually turning up at Fiorentina as they became a top club in Italy and was the more highly rated of the two.  

14 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

i remember we had an option to buy Carroll and spent it on a loan fee for Ellington.  Biggest miss out I remember was Yakubu.  Couldn't sign him in 2002 under Gregory for a million just before the poo hit the fan due to not enough European appearances.  Then he went to Portsmouth to get them promoted.  Cheers 

14 hours ago, plymouthram said:

Don't remember Mark Viduka link, but I remember Billy Davies being our Manager when we enquired about 18yr old Andy Carroll.

I think the Viduka link was the season he joined Celtic from Dynamo Zagreb. 

Edited by Jackal

I remember it being incredibly exciting when we almost landed Baggio. Who knows how it could've turned out... it may well have gone the way of Ravanelli or worse. Watching Eranio and Baiano together more than made up for not landing Il Divino Codino.

Fantastic period under the Bald Eagle when Forest where in the doldrums and we were bringing in class acts from Serie A.