If derby ever left pp

B4ev6is

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, angieram said:

I like Pride Park - it is comfortabe, you don't bang your knees on the seats in front,  there's a great view from every seat, the entrances and exits are safe and you don't have to queue much, either for refreshments or toilets (of which there are plenty.) Where it is actually helps you to get there by car  - which is how most people travel these days. I can only imagine the car queuing if we were still at the Baseball Ground.

The only thing I really miss about the Baseball Ground is that sense of being right on top of the action. But that came at a cost for me of personal safety so I will always prefer Pride Park. 

Actually i have to disagree with you re parking for the BBG there was 16 streets within 10 minutes easy walk where fans could park and did believe me ,I was born and bred in Roe street which was 5 minutes walk away and the roar of the crowd could be heard on match day :) great inspiration to make a kid go and watch the games

3 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

Actually i have to disagree with you re parking for the BBG there was 16 streets within 10 minutes easy walk where fans could park and did believe me ,I was born and bred in Roe street which was 5 minutes walk away and the roar of the crowd could be heard on match day :) great inspiration to make a kid go and watch the games

I know what you mean but imagine to park the 'tractors' that ppl have these days, the current mini is probably bigger than the old family saloons!

I’m at that time of life that I can’t remember very much about The BBG although I do remember being on the pop side and I remember Oo Aah nodding that header in and I remember wondering why the fans were throwing money at the ref when he was rubbish?

Anyway in answer to your question,do what you want because I will have forgotten anyway.

14 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

We did too. But don't you think that those same streets would be full of residents' cars these days? I do.

We very rarely visit the more traditional away grounds where there is any on-street parking on matchdays - it is all permit controlled. Times change.

5 hours ago, Doodle said:

We don’t need 40 k. Even if we are promoted, after the initial excitement and without giving away teams 6 k plus tickets we would settle at around 31-33k max. Season 2-3-4 if we are established mid table mediocrity in the  premier league this would drop below 30 k as it’s boring after a while. Remember some fans aren’t even bothered about going QPR away 

I think you're absolutely right but I'm not really sure what the relevance of the QPR comment is. 

5 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

We can’t even top 27k on the regular at the moment. 

For the size of the town, the geographic location, and having the butt plugs /leicshite and the likes  in proximity,we do remarkably well for support. Should we but the premier league i wouldn't imagine us topping much over 30.000 on a regular basis to warrant extending the stadium. Everyone likes the the thrill of the big games but mediocre football,poor performances and results  in the premier will keep attendances skin to what they are now in my opinion.

Anyhow quality support rather than quantity is my thought, a bit more distinguished being a Ram than a Utd or city supporter.?

Just now, King Kevin said:

Ha ,Ha someone once told me its a quarter of a mile [or something similar] from the back of the high stand behind one goal to the  goal at the other end  .

I can believe it. When we went recently it was like watching someone else's party over the garden fence! 

Strangely, I didn't get that feeling at Old Trafford. Although high, it felt like we were part of the game.  

If they did ever move I’d like the stadium to be built from bricks, or at least part brick. For me PP has no architectural merit at all; nothing to identify it as a part of our illustrious heritage. It’s functional and that’s all you can say really.

All of those advertising taupaulins cheapen the exterior no end - it looks tacky when approaching from the Wyvern. Garish colours on the big electronic screen above the dcfc Shop - like a scene from the USA  

Yes, I know advertisements bring in much needed revenue, but they are an eyesore. 

8 hours ago, angieram said:

I like Pride Park - it is comfortabe, you don't bang your knees on the seats in front,  there's a great view from every seat, the entrances and exits are safe and you don't have to queue much, either for refreshments or toilets (of which there are plenty.) Where it is actually helps you to get there by car  - which is how most people travel these days. I can only imagine the car queuing if we were still at the Baseball Ground.

The only thing I really miss about the Baseball Ground is that sense of being right on top of the action. But that came at a cost for me of personal safety so I will always prefer Pride Park. 

Unfortunately I believe all the positives you have highlighted have ripped the heart and soul out of our support and turned into something like a trip to the cinema.

Give me walking to the ground through streets of houses and pubs over going in the car. Give me cuing to get in singing and chanting. Give me standing up shoulder to shoulder with my mates, uncomfortable and freezing cold but not noticing because of the atmosphere. Give me fighting to ge to the front of the crowd at half time to get to the lad selling pies out of a cooler box.  Give me all this over bing comfortable and being able to get a cup of tea in the ground any day. 

It was he character that PP sadly lacks that made it what it was. Modern stadium and sadly the some of fan base have made the experience what it is today soulless. Maybe it the rose tinted specs but that how I see it. RIP BBG 

12 hours ago, superzak said:

Its time someone sponsored the  P.P S and had the balls to call it the "new baseball ground" if only i could win the lottery and..." welcome to the baseball ground "would ring out again.

12 hours ago, Moist One said:

wouldn't make sense. It's never been used for Baseball.

Given we started out playing at the cricket club (I think - I wasn't there!) and then moved to the Baseball Ground, I always thought the new stadium should have been called The Football Ground as that was what it was designed for. We'd have been famous the world over for "Who plays football at The Football Ground?"

But if we couldn't have that and if Rolls Royce continue to refuse to sponsor the ground, I think Pride Park is a pretty cool name.

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Given we started out playing at the cricket club (I think - I wasn't there!) and then moved to the Baseball Ground, I always thought the new stadium should have been called The Football Ground as that was what it was designed for. We'd have been famous the world over for "Who plays football at The Football Ground?"

But if we couldn't have that and if Rolls Royce continue to refuse to sponsor the ground, I think Pride Park is a pretty cool name.

I like that way of thinking. The Football Ground would have been a clever continuation. The only problem is that we'd have been sued under the trades description act last season as we certainly didn't play much football there last year. We'd have had to rename it The Hoof Bowl. 

Archived