Jody Morris

Comrade 86

Quick word about Jody Morris. While we're all busy heaping praise on Frank, and rightly so, let's not forget his right-hand man Jody. As Jody himself is quick to point out, Frank has the last say but Jody is surely a massive part of the transition from a long-ball team to a side that plays the kind of football most of us really want to see. We're by no means the finished article but we've seen plenty of signs of improvement and a new more fluid style emerging and Jody is as much entitled to the plaudits as Frank. We're very lucky to have the pair of them. Frank will most likely be a top manager in time but I'd expect Jody to have a pretty distinguished career ahead of him too. COYR

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ossieram said:

Football has always been and always will be a team game, I'd love it if Frank and Jodie become as famous as Clough and Taylor, but the manager will always be the first man praised or the first man sacked.

Very true @ossieram but most Derby fans and even Cloughie himself were very aware of the critical importance of Peter Taylor's contribution to that golden era. I'd also wager that were Frank to fail and be shown the door, that Jody'd be right behind him. It's interesting that you mentioned Clough and Taylor in any case, as these two seem to have a their own chemistry. Doubtless it's expecting way too much for them to reach Clough - Taylor levels of success, but it'd be nice to think they can create a mini-dynasty of their own and put our club firmly back in the limelight even if at a rather more modest level. 

The day will come when Frank eventually leaves.

Perhaps we'll have just won the Premier League three seasons running and he can't see where else he can take us, so decides the time has finally come to return to his London and Chelsea roots and take over the team we've recently trounced in the latest Champions League Final. And with sadness we part with fond farewells.

It might be for other reasons. 

Whenever Frank does go, I suspect Jody will get his chance as the next manager of Derby County. I like what I've seen of him so far. 

1 hour ago, 86 points said:

Very true @ossieram but most Derby fans and even Cloughie himself were very aware of the critical importance of Peter Taylor's contribution to that golden era. I'd also wager that were Frank to fail and be shown the door, that Jody'd be right behind him. It's interesting that you mentioned Clough and Taylor in any case, as these two seem to have a their own chemistry. Doubtless it's expecting way too much for them to reach Clough - Taylor levels of success, but it'd be nice to think they can create a mini-dynasty of their own and put our club firmly back in the limelight even if at a rather more modest level. 

Why is it expecting to much for them to attain the same heights as Cough and Taylor. Lampard and Morris may or may not reach these levels of success, nothing to say Frank and Jody couldn't even do better.

We'll never know their Destiny until it happens. All we can do is sit back and watch their journey, while hoping that the club and we the fans enjoy the ride along with them.

4 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Why is it expecting to much for them to attain the same heights as Cough and Taylor. Lampard and Morris may or may not reach these levels of success, nothing to say Frank and Jody couldn't even do better.

We'll never know their Destiny until it happens. All we can do is sit back and watch their journey, while hoping that the club and we the fans enjoy the ride along with them.

I think it's just a different landscape these days. To compete with the likes of Citeh and win a Premiership seems so outlandish but it's nice to dream and I like the way you think. ?

7 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

I guess that would depend if Morris has any ambition to be a manager, or if he’s happy just being a coach.

anyway, hooefully that’s a long way off yet.

Just a coach??

Behind every successful manager in what ever line of work you are in, there is one or two individuals who are actually the ones that are the unsung heroes and actually get all the hard work done and make there boss look good.

In the military the officers get all the plaudits, but it is the SNCO's who get it sorted and keep the officers grounded.

I do know what you are saying though.

Have been really impressed with both of them so far, Jody looks like a no nonsense type yet you can have a laugh with him too and Frank seems the sort of person who wants to be very good at what he does and really speaks well and to the point and that can only be good for us even though we will no doubt see some errors during the learning curve.

You are totally right though to acknowledge Jody's input  and is definitely an exciting time to be a rams fan  especially after the dross we had to endure last season ?

Jody Morris may be absolutely useless for all I know. I don't think there is much information out there to say whether he is a good coach or not. There are lots of people that look and sound the part.

Supporters do not really see what a coach does or how effective they may be. Good coaches can only really be recognised by fans by their employment history. It is too early to judge Jody Morris on this yet.

26 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

Good grief: After 6 games were talking about winning the Prem, dynasties and who takes over after Frank.

I thought that was Red Dogs syle not ours.

I thought that those comments were somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but the last few years have indicated that the default position of everyone nowadays is "Batshit crazy", so maybe you're right.

1 hour ago, The Key Club King said:

Jody Morris may be absolutely useless for all I know. I don't think there is much information out there to say whether he is a good coach or not. There are lots of people that look and sound the part.

Supporters do not really see what a coach does or how effective they may be. Good coaches can only really be recognised by fans by their employment history. It is too early to judge Jody Morris on this yet.

I would suggest the success of Chelsea’s youth teams under his coaching would point to him being pretty useful. A quick scan of their results this season has them 2-1-1 from 4 games without him.

11 hours ago, ossieram said:

Football has always been and always will be a team game, I'd love it if Frank and Jodie become as famous as Clough and Taylor, but the manager will always be the first man praised or the first man sacked.

Beat me to it ! ??  don’t you get a feeling that great managers always have a foil. Shankley had an entire boot room, Fergie went through Kidd, Mac, and Quieroz and even Ranieri / Craig Shakespeare had something beyond the normal.

I sense Jody’s huge knowledge and track record with younger players is very special indeed. It’s early days and time will tell of course but the signs are there by the dozen. 

Archived