Holiday Plans 2019

Angry Ram

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

We've been through this. I'm not willing to go interplanetary while there is poverty on earth. It's immoral.

I'm looking at the Caribbean. 

Good call, if you don't mind paying top dollar.  Malta, Florida and Cancun - depending on taste are good options too.  If you want something further, South Africa, Hawaii and Thailand are great to visit in December, or Australia / NZ depending on time and budget.

30 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

We've been through this. I'm not willing to go interplanetary while there is poverty on earth. It's immoral.

I'm looking at the Caribbean. 

cape verde sunny at new year.

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Venus.

It's always cloudy there, and quite wet. Tak ean umbrella made out of glass - unless showering in sulphuric acid rain is your thing.

23 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's always cloudy there, and quite wet. Tak ean umbrella made out of glass - unless showering in sulphuric acid rain is your thing.

I used to work in Bulwell,  venus sounds idyllic. 

• 5 months later...

Off to Prague for a few days in May.  Due to brexit I was concerned that I might have to obtain a visa or even if there would be any planes that were allowed to fly. But thanks to our wonderful government asking the EU for a delay of brexit till June, it looks as if I should have no worries about my trip being cancelled.

20 minute delay, now being treated for a heart attack having been charged £12 for 2 pints of Peroni.

Eurostar departure lounge now - passport control eventually let me through without too much hassle.

• 4 weeks later...

Having a trip to sunny Blackpool, 6-9 June.

We are staying at the Albert Hotel, which has an excellent micro-bar with around 25 different Belgian beers. This is only a taster, though, because I have just booked our 'main event' which is in Ostend, Belgium, for the North Sea Beer Festival, 23-25 August.

For this, we are staying a week at Hotel 't Botteltje, Ostend (about 5 minutes walk from the festival headquarters). The hotel is an absolute must for aficionados of Belgian beer, with a menu of something like 400 different beers. Each hotel bedroom is themed on a different brewery - we are staying in De Halve Maan (the half moon) room, which owes its name to the brewery in Brugge which produces Brugse Zot (one of the Memsahib's favourites) and the magnificent Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel, which is most definitely one of mine.

We have done the De Halve Maan brewery tour and also really enjoy their beers.We were last there around this time last year and felt it was getting really expensive.Oh and talking of expensive,just returned from New Orleans and there it's pretty pricey too.

27 minutes ago, NC--RAM said:

We have done the De Halve Maan brewery tour and also really enjoy their beers.We were last there around this time last year and felt it was getting really expensive.Oh and talking of expensive,just returned from New Orleans and there it's pretty pricey too.

Exchange rates are not great, but we thought 'to hell with that'. I'm semi-retired, and in order to pay for a decent holiday abroad, I do a bit of consultancy. We didn't bother with the brewery tours last month when we were in Belgium (once you have seen one, basically you have seen them all), but we did go to De Halve Maan on a couple of occasions just for a glass of Straffe Hendrik Wild. Similarly we went to Bourgogne Des Flandres for the beer flight, and of course a couple of glasses of Tripel in Staminee De Garre. I am a creature of habit.

I have one regret, and that is the fact that I have never visited the USA and probably never will. My blood has a tendency to take on the consistency of black pudding, and a 6 or 7 hour flight would probably be instant deep-vein thrombosis for me, and having survived 4 episodes, I don't wish to try for a 5th.

Archived