Holiday Plans 2019

Angry Ram

I'm off to Krakow on Friday for 4 days.

Calstock in Cornwall for 4 days end of July.

Thailand 3 days and Borneo 7 days in August.

Just booked SA for the cricket in Jan.

Banning myself from skyscanner now.

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed last week in Albert's Micropub in Blackpool so much that I've booked us in again for around the date of the Blackpool Airshow.

1278310700_drinkallthebelgianbeers.jpg.33c78205349fe74c8e59a201b4752b19.jpg

Did an 8 day tour of Tuscany at Easter (If you get the chance do it, lot's of red).

Got a 5 day trip to Athens booked for later in the year.

Portugal villa holiday booked for next Easter.

At the weekend, I decided that life is too short so booked an all inclusive beach holiday to Zante.

After that lot I will need time at work for a break

Already had 3 weeks during April, travelling in India to Kerala, Delhi & Shimla.

This was followed, las week, by 7 days in Normandy, France, for the 75th anniversary commemorations of the D-Day landings, which included visiting Pegasus Bridge, Ouistrehem/Sword Beach, Arromanche, Luc sur mer, Courselles and of course Bayeux.

One week in Suffolk to come in August, then another week in Brittany in September, followed by a few days away for the Christmas/New Year's week.

Who said retirement was boring!!!

2 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Determined to go abroad on my own this november when I have days off! Any suggestions? Ideally a non english speaking country. Proper get out of my comfort zone! No one else allowed ?

You could go to Margate if you want a non English speaking holiday. Just sayin.

2 hours ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Determined to go abroad on my own this november when I have days off! Any suggestions? Ideally a non english speaking country. Proper get out of my comfort zone! No one else allowed :P

What is your budget and what do you like doing on holiday? oh and how long have you got off?

17 minutes ago, sage said:

What is your budget and what do you like doing on holiday? oh and how long have you got off?

Budget- doesnt matter- happy to spend anything (within reason). 3-7 days off. Im not sure what I like doing as nearly all my hobbies involve spending time with other people, which is why this holiday is important. Im thinking of going to Italy and watching my AC Milan team, then maybe try mountain climbing/absailing somewhere else in Italy but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

20 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Budget- doesnt matter- happy to spend anything (within reason). 3-7 days off. Im not sure what I like doing as nearly all my hobbies involve spending time with other people, which is why this holiday is important. Im thinking of going to Italy and watching my AC Milan team, then maybe try mountain climbing/absailing somewhere else in Italy but was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions?

Try Moscow and/or St Petersburg - different alphabet never mind language, not too long flight times, fantastic things to see. And football teams if you go in season. Wrap up very warm though and don't think of hiring a car. 

21 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Try Moscow and/or St Petersburg - different alphabet never mind language, not too long flight times, fantastic things to see. And football teams if you go in season. Wrap up very warm though and don't think of hiring a car. 

Sounds good, looking forward to going abroad alone for the first ever time !

1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I've watched Milan v Juve which was fun, but wasn't massively impressed with Milan. November is a funny month as you are between seasons in terms of mountain activities. 

It would depend on what you want

I would say Poland (Krakow or Gdansk) and Portugal (Porto or Lisbon areas) are good cheap countries to visit.

If you are into your culture then Rome and Florence are up there.

Belgium has the best beer and the Basque area of Spain has the best food (good area for footy too).

Malta and Cyprus will give you a bit of sun and history.  

Or go crazy and have a week in Sri Lanka or Cuba.

Thank you guys

Gonna be the first of many trips solo throughout my life- so always good to get advice. Different kettle of fish when you cant rely on friends or family to sort things out during the trip, will be a good test (albeit a bit scary)

1 hour ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Japan or South Korea you will be totally outside of your comfort zone there.

I would echo @ilkleyram‘s comments.

St. Petersburg is one of the best cities in the world to visit. It is genuinely the most beautiful city I know. It has so much to offer - history, culture, museums, architecture, parks, an ever expanding selection of bars, restaurants and music venues, world class ballet, opera and classical music, beautiful and fascinating people, football, ice hockey and so much more. It’s almost the perfect city - the only things that it is missing are a good beach and a good climate.

You might be discouraged by the need for a visa, but it’s absolutely worth the effort. The best time to go is June - July for the ‘white nights’ and you ought to try Georgian food from one of the many restaurants there - it’s incredible!

But if that hasn’t swayed you, here are some more recommendations for you, @dcfcfan1

For food:

1) Lyon

2) San Sebastian

3) Sevilla

4) Lima

For drinking

1) Bruges

2) Brussels

3) Porto

For beaches

1) San Sebastian

2) Porto