Holiday Plans 2019

Angry Ram

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Just booked a 6-day trip to Malia with mates. Going to be a bit of a messy one. The only downside is that I'll be missing at least one Derby game.

My lads off to Malia, beginning of August.

Looks a shithole, enjoy.

11 hours ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Just booked a 6-day trip to Malia with mates. Going to be a bit of a messy one. The only downside is that I'll be missing at least one Derby game.

11 hours ago, reveldevil said:

My lads off to Malia, beginning of August.

Looks a shithole, enjoy.

How old are you BR7? (I recall that you're college age), how old is your lad Revel?

I'm now 42 and would go to Crete from June to October yearly if I could, and within that, I would always venture to Malia for some people-watching and to watch football on the box.

It's not as scummy as it was 10 years ago, simply, they tried to price the lower end out of going by removing cheap vodka off supermarket shelves, upping the price of food, increasing taxes and limiting the buy 1- get 4 drinks deals that used to be around.

If we get promoted, you'll find the Derby game on TV there as 3pm kick-offs are allowed to be televised abroad, assuming the game isn't rescheduled for TV anyway.

My advice, as boring as it sounds, you'll thank me, do NOT drink alcohol during the day (just drink water and diet coke/lemonade or juice), there are enough hours to get steaming from 8pm to 4am!!! 

There are 2 decent water-parks, decent go-karts, lots of mountains to explore on quad bikes and plenty of small resorts and beaches to go and find.

15 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

How old are you BR7? (I recall that you're college age), how old is your lad Revel?

I'm now 42 and would go to Crete from June to October yearly if I could, and within that, I would always venture to Malia for some people-watching and to watch football on the box.

If we get promoted, you'll find the Derby game on TV there as 3pm kick-offs are allowed to be televised abroad, assuming the game isn't rescheduled for TV anyway.

My advice, as boring as it sounds, you'll thank me, do NOT drink alcohol during the day (just drink water and diet coke/lemonade or juice), there are enough hours to get steaming from 8pm to 4am!!! 

There are 2 decent water-parks, decent go-karts, lots of mountains to explore on quad bikes and plenty of small resorts and beaches to go and find.

I’m 19 mate, just coming to the end of my first year at uni.

I agree that watching football in a bar whilst abroad is great. I just prefer being at the game when it concerns Derby. It will still be a fun weekend though and perhaps I’ll enjoy watching Derby in a different setting as a one-off.

I take your advice and appreciate it. However, considering it’s a cheap all-inclusive and that there will be a lot of peer pressure, I’m not sure I can stick to the soft drinks in the day! I’ll have to see as I want to be as price-conscious as possible, so taking advantage of the all-inclusive might be the cheapest option.

Naturally, we’ll be focusing on the strip but we’re definitely considering quad bikes. The water parks sound good as well.

Thanks for the info, I found it very interesting and useful.

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

It's not as scummy as it was 10 years ago, simply, they tried to price the lower end out of going by removing cheap vodka off supermarket shelves, upping the price of food, increasing taxes and limiting the buy 1- get 4 drinks deals that used to be around.

My lads 20, also going all inclusive. He's been with us to Stalis before a few years back, so he knows the lie of the land.

55 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

I’m 19 mate, just coming to the end of my first year at uni.

I agree that watching football in a bar whilst abroad is great. I just prefer being at the game when it concerns Derby. It will still be a fun weekend though and perhaps I’ll enjoy watching Derby in a different setting as a one-off.

I take your advice and appreciate it. However, considering it’s a cheap all-inclusive and that there will be a lot of peer pressure, I’m not sure I can stick to the soft drinks in the day! I’ll have to see as I want to be as price-conscious as possible, so taking advantage of the all-inclusive might be the cheapest option.

Naturally, we’ll be focusing on the strip but we’re definitely considering quad bikes. The water parks sound good as well.

Thanks for the info, I found it very interesting and useful.

22 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

My lads 20, also going all inclusive. He's been with us to Stalis before a few years back, so he knows the lie of the land.

sorry for putting you both together again. But hand on heart wish I'd discovered the value of a good holiday when I was younger adult. I truly am envious. I was 27 when I had my first holiday, and wasn't that excited about going at the time. It changed my outlook on everything.

I've been to Stalis 13 times, it's nothing spectacular for most people, but ticks every box for me.

BR, if you have to drink by the pool, try and switch (1 beer, then 2 waters), never do anything by peer pressure. That Greek sun is lethal in combination with booze, so ease yourself in mate, seriously, peer pressure should come second to using your brain and not getting in a bad way. I don't want to be a killjoy, but there are so many things that can go wrong when people think they can be a world class alcoholic in an environment they aren't used to. You should (in my opinion) be making memories, not scars. Even now, after 25 years of being a lager lout, I don't get pissed before my evening shower! But I did learn the hard way!

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

sorry for putting you both together again. But hand on heart wish I'd discovered the value of a good holiday when I was younger adult. I truly am envious. I was 27 when I had my first holiday, and wasn't that excited about going at the time. It changed my outlook on everything.

I've been to Stalis 13 times, it's nothing spectacular for most people, but ticks every box for me.

BR, if you have to drink by the pool, try and switch (1 beer, then 2 waters), never do anything by peer pressure. That Greek sun is lethal in combination with booze, so ease yourself in mate, seriously, peer pressure should come second to using your brain and not getting in a bad way. I don't want to be a killjoy, but there are so many things that can go wrong when people think they can be a world class alcoholic in an environment they aren't used to. You should (in my opinion) be making memories, not scars. Even now, after 25 years of being a lager lout, I don't get pissed before my evening shower! But I did learn the hard way!

Thank you mate. That seems like a good compromise and I’ll take it on board. Hope you’re well?

12 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Thank you mate. That seems like a good compromise and I’ll take it on board. Hope you’re well?

Have to agree, it's the dehydration which gets you. Plus, they don't really do Dark Fruits out there. Might find you a poo Somersby though.

48 minutes ago, Srg said:

Have to agree, it's the dehydration which gets you. Plus, they don't really do Dark Fruits out there. Might find you a poo Somersby though.

you won't find owt on draught, but the selection of fruit ciders in cans/bottles is impressive.

I’m in Fabrezan for a wedding next week and knocking around Nabonne/Carcassone for a couple of days after.

Ive done little research so far but if anybody has any recommendations for Fabrezan/Nabonne then I’d very much appreciate it! I guess they aren’t real tourist-y places but kinda hoping someone on here might have passed through!

Off to Prague on Tuesday. When I booked it a few months ago, I could have got a cheaper flight leaving on the Monday. But thinking of the play-off instantly turned it down. So glad my normal pessimism was overcome by more positive feelings.

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

I’m in Fabrezan for a wedding next week and knocking around Nabonne/Carcassone for a couple of days after.

Ive done little research so far but if anybody has any recommendations for Fabrezan/Nabonne then I’d very much appreciate it! I guess they aren’t real tourist-y places but kinda hoping someone on here might have passed through!

sorry, just some words I don't recognise!

On 20/05/2019 at 09:53, Srg said:

There was more fruit cider on draught in Cyprus than proper mans cider tbh. Maybe the same in Greece?

• 2 weeks later...
On 14 April 2019 at 20:37, Turk Thrust said:

For me it's a mix of a business trip and holiday. I will be taking a group of Nigerian Court of Appeal judges to Kuala Lumpur to expose them to modern ways of working in courts (Malaysia and Singapore are in the forefront of electronic records)  That's for a week so I will stay on for an extra week and mosey on down to my favourite place Singapore to have a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar at Raffles. Fly back to Nigeria for a week and then home. Not forgetting to buy some expensive perfume for the Bolukbashi.  It's a tough life....

Further to this, just heard that there will be two Judges Retreats (ie jollies). One in June for a week in Zanzibar ( I can't go then but not worried as I've been twice before -it's a stink hole, smelly, dirty and incredibly humid but it has got Freddie Mercury's birthplace in the capital Stonetown. The other will be in Dubai in July for a week and I can go to that one  though it will be 50C! 

Archived