v Oldham (A) Carabao Cup - Match Thread

Rample

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given Saturday's unhappy experience, the question is whether Frank gives the players the opportunity to redeem themselves or gives the players on the fringe the chance to press their case. It's a tough call because of our huge squad. You really want to give people game time who aren't getting it, but I expect we'll largely make the starting 11 the priority, including giving some of the new recruits a chance.

Roos

Wisdom      Keogh      Tomori      Lowe

Evans

Wilson        Mount

Josefzoon     Waghorn     Lawrence

Bench:    Mitchell    Bogle    Malone     Holmes     Bennett    Marriott    Thomas    

That's three changes from the Leeds starting 11, including resting Carson as he deserves a break and Frank will need to see if his other keepers can cut it in a competitive game. Playing Wilson with Mount allows Josefzoon to come in on the right wing (well deserved). For me, Wilson and Mount would make an excellent midfield partnership anyway, and in preseason Frank made this move.

Rowett put his faith in experience and managing the game without the ball. Frank is putting his faith in youth and playing with as much of the ball as possible. It will take time so the players need to practise it together.

4132. Roos. Bogle. Keogh. Tomori. Malone. Evans. Josefzoon. Johnson. Thomas. Bennett. Marriott. Subs mitchell. Pearce. Forsyth. Holmes. Elsnik. Guy. Nugent. 

29 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Given Saturday's unhappy experience, the question is whether Frank gives the players the opportunity to redeem themselves or gives the players on the fringe the chance to press their case. It's a tough call because of our huge squad. You really want to give people game time who aren't getting it, but I expect we'll largely make the starting 11 the priority, including giving some of the new recruits a chance.

Roos

Wisdom      Keogh      Tomori      Lowe

Evans

Wilson        Mount

Josefzoon     Waghorn     Lawrence

Bench:    Mitchell    Bogle    Malone     Holmes     Bennett    Marriott    Thomas    

That's three changes from the Leeds starting 11, including resting Carson as he deserves a break and Frank will need to see if his other keepers can cut it in a competitive game. Playing Wilson with Mount allows Josefzoon to come in on the right wing (well deserved). For me, Wilson and Mount would make an excellent midfield partnership anyway, and in preseason Frank made this move.

Rowett put his faith in experience and managing the game without the ball. Frank is putting his faith in youth and playing with as much of the ball as possible. It will take time so the players need to practise it together.

it's not a case of giving fringe players a chance , Lampard has to introduce his other new signings gradually or or otherwise - only 4 of these were actually in the starting line up yesterday.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

it's not a case of giving fringe players a chance , Lampard has to introduce his other new signings gradually or or otherwise - only 4 of these were actually in the starting line up yesterday.

I think we're agreeing? There were 4 new signings who started on Saturday and my team for Tuesday has 6 with all of the other 3 on the bench.

Or are you saying that's too fast and he needs to do it more gradually?

I think we’ll see a few changes from the weekend. As people have mentioned, the team needs to gel, but this is also a great chance to introduce some new players without risking too much.

Malone in at left back.

Keogh out for Davies/Pearce.

Evans in at DM. 

Holmes in for Bryson.

Jozefzoon to start in one of the wing positions.

Marriott up top.

Personally I would change it up. A new manager is meant to mean a fresh start for everyone, and if after those two performances, you still can't get a run out, it's not a great message. 

Roos

Bogle Tomori Pearce Malone

Evans Johnson

Bennett Mount Jozefzoon

Marriot

Carson

wisdom keough tomori malone

Evans

Holmes    Mount

wilson                            Lawrence

Marriot

A few changes but not too many. Need some stability whilst giving some of the new players a chance.

roos, Waghorn, Jozefzoon. Bryson, Bennett, Pearce, Johnson 

bi way we should be changing formation when the players are still learning their roles in a 433. Would be stupid to change now 

if we are going to play this way there is little point in changing formations, fulham had the same issue last season made too many mistakes early on but they built on it kept working hard and the manager stuck to his way of playing, its not easy playing this way as you do leave yourself open for the counter but its the way you react when you lose the ball you have to get it back quickly or you are in trouble we dont do that quick enough and didn't do that for the majority of the game Saturday. i would go for this tonight.

Carson.

wisdom - keogh - tomori- malone

evans

bryson -                         mount

wilson -         wags -      lawrence

up the rams!

23 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'd like to see if we can get Thorne and Martin on as subs at some point....we are massively in need of a Thorne back on form in the midfield and I'll maintain Chrissie is still better than his mini me waghorn.

lnoiF10Hhm61G.gif

Seeing as neither Thorne or Martin are involved with the first team, along with others who’ve fallen off the face of the earth, you’ll be lucky. 

Had the Leeds match not been embarrassing I’d suggest whole sale changes for this but I think given the reading first half and Leeds game that we should be sticking with most of the first team and using it as another game to get to grips with the system. 

Some changes (will be explained). 

Roos

Tomori   Keogh   Pearce    Malone

Evans 

Bryson      Mount 

Wilson      Waghorn     Lawrence 

Roos - needs first team experience if he’s our number 2 in case he’s called upon. 

Tomori - Wisdom is so negative with the ball. Forwards passes are rarer than rocking horse poo. 

Malone - reasonable game to give him a run out and a good performance gives FL a reason to keep him in the team ahead of Lowe. 

Evans - a game to see if he can play that holding role more effectively than Ledley

Archived