Lee versus Hunter

Carl Sagan

On the eve of our game against the dirty Leeds, I thought I'd post this for you youngsters who might not be aware. Back in the days when men were men, I and I'm sure a few others on the forum were at the Baseball Ground for a particularly juicy encounter between our two clubs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPZnXgKl70I

What the video doesn't show is the constant fouling by the Leeds players all game, before Hunter swung a viscous punch at Frannie Lee, bloodying his face and for which, for some bizarre reason, the referee deemed Lee should be sent off (obviously Hunter had to go).

On the way off the pitch Lee undertandably cracked at the injustice of it all and took a swing of his own, and the rest is football folklore.

Oh, and if you watch to the end you see a lovely winner from Rams TV's very own Roger Davies. Seeing the preview show he still really hates Leeds.

Edit: not sure why the link didn't embed. Forum issue?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

On the eve of our game against the dirty Leeds, I thought I'd post this for you youngsters who might not be aware. Back in the days when men were men, I and I'm sure a few others on the forum were at the Baseball Ground for a particularly juicy encounter between our two clubs:

What the video doesn't show is the constant fouling by the Leeds players all game, before Hunter swung a viscous punch at Frannie Lee, bloodying his face and for which, for some bizarre reason, the referee deemed Lee should be sent off (obviously Hunter had to go).

On the way off the pitch Lee undertandably cracked at the injustice of it all and took a swing of his own, and the rest is football folklore.

Oh, and if you watch to the end you see a lovely winner from Rams TV's very own Roger Davies. Seeing the preview show he still really hates Leeds.

My very first game at the BBG , no wonder i got hooked , and a big reason why i still hate Leeds to this day , a truly all round horrible football club , come on boys make me a very happy Rams fan tomorrow

2 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

My very first game at the BBG , no wonder i got hooked , and a big reason why i still hate Leeds to this day , a truly all round horrible football club , come on boys make me a very happy Rams fan tomorrow

What a way to start you had no chance then.  One of the greatest games I witnessed.  Sometimes you know the game is going to end in an amazing  way.  What an atmosphere what a noise BBG one of the few venues that could amplify such games.

52 minutes ago, Vulcanboy said:

Remember it well ?

I also remember Roger Davies putting a Juventus (I think) player, into the back of the net with a right hook! 

Likewise, was at both games.

I really wonder what might have happened had King Kev not got hold of Frannie as quickly as he did. They say a good big un will always beat a good little un …. oh wait …!

The ref was Dereck(?) Nippard from Southampton, a serving Police Officer and as @Carl Sagan says above he seemed unwilling to do anything about their dirty play. Any referee who would have been backed at League / FA level could have sorted this disgrace of a club out quite easily - book Bremner and Hunter for their first fouls, send them off for the second one and repeat in the next game until they got the message.

And I still get tremendous satisfaction from Nigel's record against them- was it 10 or11 successive victories? - sweet revenge for their treatment of Sir Brian.

Think Lee also got a ban which resulted him missing the European cup tie 2nd leg v Real Madrid (lost 1-5). On a side note, I hate Millwall more than Leeds after seeing a documentary about their 'firm' and meeting one of them....'what a little turd' (c) Blackadder.

1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

Didn't realise at the time what a scandalous decision it was to send Frannie off. Ive seen it many times since but on the day it was mayhem. 

Revie's Leeds really were the dirtiest bunch of bar stewards that ever graced English football. 

Revie wasn't manager. Jimmy Armfield was.

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Epic. Was at the game & watched that night on MOTD. The moral of the tale: Franny & Norman meet & have dinner every year on this; it defined football in the 70’s and Frank knows all about it; if I was frank my team talk would be the video: firkin brilliant:,football meant something then beyond MONEY.

Johnny Giles was a cretinous, vile assassin, though he could play a bit.. He 'did' opposition players sneakily and efficiently, on behalf of the DirtyLeeds 'family'. He let Hunter and Bremner get on with the overt stuff. Allan Clarke was a nasty piece of sh!!t too.

Met Francis Lee a good 15 years ago at a book signing at PPS. We got to discussing the Match of the 70s DVD, which has the classic Clough & Taylor & Mackay era DCFC glory days on it, as y'all will know. Numerous great Lee goals are on that disc, including his final appearance, when he scored a hat-trick at Ipswich.

I told him it did not have the Lee-Hunter fight on it, unlike the original VHS issue. He was relieved - and said he hated the attention that the incident received. He said when fans referred to it as some kind of triumph, it drove him mad!

He went for Hunter the 2nd time, as they trudged off the pitch following their dismissal, because Franny felt his lip and tasted the blood, he was incensed that his mouth was badly split. Francis therefore didn't so much 'see red', as taste it!!

He said he didn't have the DVD and wanted it for his son, I sent him one, and he sent me the money back.

At the book signing event, as Francis and I agreed the details to sort out a DVD copy for him, a fan bounced up, and said to  Franny excitedly: "Well done for jobbing Norman Hunter!"

Mr Lee rolled his eyes and saw me shrug and shake my head in sympathy, as the fan wondered what he'd said wrong.... ?

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Epic. Was at the game & watched that night on MOTD. The moral of the tale: Franny & Norman meet & have dinner every year on this; it defined football in the 70’s and Frank knows all about it; if I was frank my team talk would be the video: firkin brilliant:,football meant something then beyond MONEY.

Do they really have an annual meetup, or are you just joshing?

I was interested to see Frank refer to a Derby Leeds rivalry in his press conference. Of course it's one-sided nowadays, just like Leeds hating Man Yoo or the gumps hating Liverpool, but if he can use that to get the players fired up, that's even better.

When we left the BBG, a book was  commissioned documenting big moments from our time there. My old man wrote about this, and I’ve read it - and he’s only retold the whole match about 17828 times since!

Is it possible to feel like you were there even if you weren’t born? 

Archived