Lee versus Hunter

Carl Sagan

Those of us who at the game will never forget it. Though an  incomplete version of the truth , the incident epitomised "dirty Leeds vs innocent Rams" and the punishment of Franny Lee an outrage. All of those Leeds players fully bought into the vile Leeds behaviour encouraged by Revie.  Being truthful , they were a superb team and watching Clough's Derby getting thoroughly outplayed at Elland Road is as unforgettable as the Hunter/Lee incident. 

I met Johnny Giles a few times after he had left Leeds and knew some of his friends. He was a charming, intelligent bloke and a great footballer.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting point @DRBee and something I've often thought about. When a side has as much talent at their disposal and the Leeds side of that era had talent in abundance, why did they need to be so thuggish? Admittedly, it was a harder game all-round back then but the Dirties really did take it to extremes. When all is said and done, the only reason I can come up with is that they were just a collective of horrible c***s. I've other more personal reasons for hating their fans too and hate them I do. I dislike the Gumps for obvious reasons but I feckin loathe Leeds. COYR

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Do they really have an annual meetup, or are you just joshing?

I was interested to see Frank refer to a Derby Leeds rivalry in his press conference. Of course it's one-sided nowadays, just like Leeds hating Man Yoo or the gumps hating Liverpool, but if he can use that to get the players fired up, that's even better.

Not joshing; Franny Lee said so himself. 

6 hours ago, Duracell said:

When we left the BBG, a book was  commissioned documenting big moments from our time there. My old man wrote about this, and I’ve read it - and he’s only retold the whole match about 17828 times since!

Is it possible to feel like you were there even if you weren’t born? 

“Have you been born yet and are you alive?” Said Jim Morrison. 

10 hours ago, Woodypecker said:

Johnny Giles was a cretinous, vile assassin, though he could play a bit.. He 'did' opposition players sneakily and efficiently, on behalf of the DirtyLeeds 'family'. He let Hunter and Bremner get on with the overt stuff. Allan Clarke was a nasty piece of sh!!t too.

Met Francis Lee a good 15 years ago at a book signing at PPS. We got to discussing the Match of the 70s DVD, which has the classic Clough & Taylor & Mackay era DCFC glory days on it, as y'all will know. Numerous great Lee goals are on that disc, including his final appearance, when he scored a hat-trick at Ipswich.

I told him it did not have the Lee-Hunter fight on it, unlike the original VHS issue. He was relieved - and said he hated the attention that the incident received. He said when fans referred to it as some kind of triumph, it drove him mad!

He went for Hunter the 2nd time, as they trudged off the pitch following their dismissal, because Franny felt his lip and tasted the blood, he was incensed that his mouth was badly split. Francis therefore didn't so much 'see red', as taste it!!

He said he didn't have the DVD and wanted it for his son, I sent him one, and he sent me the money back.

At the book signing event, as Francis and I agreed the details to sort out a DVD copy for him, a fan bounced up, and said to  Franny excitedly: "Well done for jobbing Norman Hunter!"

Mr Lee rolled his eyes and saw me shrug and shake my head in sympathy, as the fan wondered what he'd said wrong.... ?

As you say, unlike Hunter and Bremner, Giles was decidedly an odious off-the-ball merchant, and that was why Man. U and particularly Matt Busby wanted him out of Old Trafford.

As others have noted, Reaney, Grey and Madeley were the more "genuine" footballers at that club - Reaney I have always considered to be at odds with the durty L**Ds philosophy.

Forgive me posting this clip but for younger members, it might give an insight to how the game was played in our hey day.

The clip features a ‘tackle’ on Billy Bremner around 6 seconds in, it was a joy to see a Leeds player on the end of it as they dished it out so readily. 

The fact that the ref waved play on adds to the hilarity.

Was there.

AS usual a very large turn-out from Leeds in the Pop side Columbo. It was the first time I'd heard "Marching on together" and I have to grudgingly admit, they were loud.

To really understand the match, you have to understand the previous 5-6 years of games against Leeds at the BBG. There was always controversy, crowd trouble and often for Derby disappointment or poo luck. Take the Nish OG and the Todd back pass. 

This game was in many ways the culmination of that era and that phase of bitter rivalry. The game had everything, the score went from one team to another and the Lee/Hunter fight reflected how the respective supporters felt about each other. But to win in the dying minutes with such a brilliant goal brought incredible jubilation. We were Champions and we had gubbed our biggest rivals of the day.

Folklore is made of days like that.

1 minute ago, Eatonram said:

Was there.

AS usual a very large turn-out from Leeds in the Pop side Columbo. It was the first time I'd heard "Marching on together" and I have to grudgingly admit, they were loud.

To really understand the match, you have to understand the previous 5-6 years of games against Leeds at the BBG. There was always controversy, crowd trouble and often for Derby disappointment or poo luck. Take the Nish OG and the Todd back pass. 

This game was in many ways the culmination of that era and that phase of bitter rivalry. The game had everything, the score went from one team to another and the Lee/Hunter fight reflected how the respective supporters felt about each other. But to win in the dying minutes with such a brilliant goal brought incredible jubilation. We were Champions and we had gubbed our biggest rivals of the day.

Folklore is made of days like that.

Magic Darts @Eatonram

Archived