David Nugent

LB_DCFC

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

3 goals in 4 games dude - It's the season of Lawrence methinks... ?

Hope so, but he reminds me of Ince and I think they're both (very good) individuals but they don't enhance the team as much as their abilities should. Yes it's great to be scoring goals but Tom doesn't interchange a well as I want with his teammates, and isn't always "game aware" (eg Bryson having to take a yellow when Tom lost the ball yesterday) and simply doesn't lift hi head up enough. But his freekicks have been immense so far. I think it would help him to give him more team responsibility, such as taking corners, when Mounts are utterly dreadful.

2 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Hope so, but he reminds me of Ince and I think they're both (very good) individuals but they don't enhance the team as much as their abilities should. Yes it's great to be scoring goals but Tom doesn't interchange a well as I want with his teammates, and isn't always "game aware" (eg Bryson having to take a yellow when Tom lost the ball yesterday) and simply doesn't lift hi head up enough. But his freekicks have been immense so far. I think it would help him to give him more team responsibility, such as taking corners, when Mounts are utterly dreadful.

I don’t think Mount’s corners were too bad last night. Average height of our team is 3 foot 2. Have to try something a little different.

30 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I thought the few moments we looked like a top-end side last night were when Lawrence and Mount worked together - They seem to have a nice understanding developing

Difficult to say against Ipswich though - First time we've beaten them at home in like 10 games or something crazy like that? It was a war of attrition game - They essentially man-marked Mount, Bryson, Lawrence and Bennett from the start

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I thought the few moments we looked like a top-end side last night were when Lawrence and Mount worked together - They seem to have a nice understanding developing

Difficult to say against Ipswich though - First time we've beaten them at home in like 10 games or something crazy like that? It was a war of attrition game - They essentially man-marked Mount, Bryson, Lawrence and Bennett from the start

Isn't that the sign of a good manager who has done his research and taken out the play-makers?

4 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Isn't that the sign of a good manager who has done his research and taken out the play-makers?

Yes, absolutely - Thought their game plan was excellent - And they looked decent on the ball too

My point was that it's difficult to judge our creative players on last night - I actually found it reassuring that we were able to grind out a result against them for once

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I blinked and missed that! Am getting more disappointed in Lawrence's decision-making on the ball tbh.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

I blinked and missed that! Am getting more disappointed in Lawrence's decision-making on the ball tbh.

It was very much "the few" and "moments" ?

There was just a few bits of 2-3 passes together - Where they seemed to be getting a little understanding of where they'd be in relation to each other

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Bolton say they agreed a deadline day deal with us for Nuge, but he wanted to stay and fight for his place. 

https://www.burndenaces.co.uk/2018/09/02/bolton-chairman-confirms-nugent-agreement.html

Sorry to be pedantic but it doesn’t say it was agreed on deadline day in this article. Could have been earlier in the window, not a day before starting v Hull

28 minutes ago, SamUltraRam said:

That's interesting if true. On one hand Lamps chooses him as first choice whilst he (or the club) agree a deal to off load.

Slightly curious, maybe the Bolton chairman is just trying to impress the Bolton fans 

Yeah you don’t hear many players who’re starting games talking about “fighting for their place” so like @David said I wondered if it was earlier summer (maybe before Martin/Jerome going). 

But positive attitude as always by Nuge, can only be good for younger players to learn from someone with that attitude 

One of those, hes probably likely to get more game time at Bolton maybe, so maybe we did provisionally accept a bid subject to the player wanting to pursue it, which is fair to all parties, but it sounds like he preferred to stay.

Which is good, he seems a good bloke to have around the place, plays with a smile on his face.

1 hour ago, David said:

Sorry to be pedantic but it doesn’t say it was agreed on deadline day in this article. Could have been earlier in the window, not a day before starting v Hull

Maybe the deal fell thru earlier in the window so we sent martin and jerome packing instead. Nuge is the oldest of the three though. 

6 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Maybe the deal fell thru earlier in the window so we sent martin and jerome packing instead. Nuge is the oldest of the three though. 

To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if Nugent, Martin and Jerome were all free to leave as a trio.

With Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett we are still pretty covered.

I know Nugent still played yesterday but I can’t see us renewing his contract, chance to recoup a few quid would have made sense to help with FFP without being a major loss.

With him wanting to fight for his place suggests he wasn’t being given the push and no hope of game time. Just a move that may have been best for both party’s with guaranteed game time for him.

2 hours ago, David said:

To be honest I wouldn’t be surprised if Nugent, Martin and Jerome were all free to leave as a trio.

With Waghorn, Marriott and Bennett we are still pretty covered.

I know Nugent still played yesterday but I can’t see us renewing his contract, chance to recoup a few quid would have made sense to help with FFP without being a major loss.

With him wanting to fight for his place suggests he wasn’t being given the push and no hope of game time. Just a move that may have been best for both party’s with guaranteed game time for him.

Agreed - He's 33 and not only do we have cover in his position - 2 of the guys we have for that position are young and hopefully still improving

Nice thought though that he'd rather spend another season with us being in and around the squad, even if not playing, than potentially get a 2 year deal at Bolton - Potentially says the Derby dressing room isn't a bad place to be at the moment?

Archived