Bournmouth fined £4.75m for cheating

maxjam

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

"In reaching a settlement, the EFL acknowledges that the club did not make any deliberate attempt to infringe the Rules or to deceive"

Utter tosh. No deterrant at all.

What? It was a genuine accident. We got Harry Redknapp to look over the accounts and he said they all looked bang on. 

What's the problem here if you play by Marquis of Queensbury rules in a street fight you'll lose. If we're too inept as a club to be able to take advantage by spending exorbitant transfer fees on bang average players them putting them on hideously expense contracts then fair play to the other sides trying it.

I don’t get why people get sanctimonious about FFP. They hardly went on a spending spree to get up and their wages then were less than ours currently. 

It’s not their fault they’re a small club and thus have a limited source of revenue. 

I still think FFP was Tom Glick’s idea of trying to bridge a gap between ourselves when were cutting costs and the teams who were spending money. 

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

I don’t get why people get sanctimonious about FFP. They hardly went on a spending spree to get up and their wages then were less than ours currently. 

It’s not their fault they’re a small club and thus have a limited source of revenue. 

I still think FFP was Tom Glick’s idea of trying to bridge a gap between ourselves when were cutting costs and the teams who were spending money. 

Because it shows blatant double standards. The message sent out is, by all means break FFP, but if you fail to get up you'll get an embargo. QPR, Bournemouth etc all cheated. It just shows that there is little benefit to actually trying to play fair. 

Their wages might have been less than ours, but we're a bigger club and had substantially bigger revenues, so why shouldn't we afford to pay the higher wage bill?

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Because it shows blatant double standards. The message sent out is, by all means break FFP, but if you fail to get up you'll get an embargo. QPR, Bournemouth etc all cheated. It just shows that there is little benefit to actually trying to play fair. 

Their wages might have been less than ours, but we're a bigger club and had substantially bigger revenues, so why shouldn't we afford to pay the higher wage bill?

Part of the whole problem with FFP is it will entrench big clubs and little clubs and make it harder to grow in size. Oh wait, now, like parachute payments, it's only actually happened because it'll favour bigger club's.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

Part of the whole problem with FFP is it will entrench big clubs and little clubs and make it harder to grow in size. Oh wait, now, like parachute payments, it's only actually happened because it'll favour bigger club's.

Basically, the 3 clubs that come down can have 2 years of spending pretty much whatever they want gambling to go back up, and in a lot of cases it will work, if not you end up like Villa. 

FFP is a stupid rule.

11 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Basically, the 3 clubs that come down can have 2 years of spending pretty much whatever they want gambling to go back up, and in a lot of cases it will work, if not you end up like Villa. 

FFP is a stupid rule.

There was some good intentions behind the idea, bit what actually happened hasn't really delivered.

I like as well the idea that parachute money becomes somehow linked to meeting obligations on relegation, not just here's a big wad of cash because the premier league marketing doesn't like as big amount of changing clubs (and can't yet scrap relegation for commercial reasons)

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

FFP is a stupid rule.

FFP was never intended as a tool to level the playing field.

The purpose of FFP was to stop the boom and bust cycle that had developed of owners loaning clubs money, and leaving them laden with massive debts they could never pay off. Only way out is through insolvency and the club then basically screwing all its creditors.... local businesses providing all kinds of day to day services and employing people like you and me.

FFP was introduced in 2014.  4 years on, no clubs have gone into administration.

By contrast in the 5 years before FFP, 17 clubs went into administration.

By this measure FFP has worked perfectly.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

The purpose of FFP was to stop the boom and bust cycle that had developed of owners loaning clubs money, and leaving them laden with massive debts they could never pay off. Only way out is through insolvency and the club then basically screwing all its creditors.... local businesses providing all kinds of day to day services and employing people like you and me.

FFP was introduced in 2014.  4 years on, no clubs have gone into administration.

wasn't it also to protect HMRC and therefore tax payers from loses incurred by multi million pound businesses.  Pity they didn't have one for the banks

3 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Fair point.

I just dislike what it has done to the actual football side of things. It has given the relegated Premier League clubs such a huge advantage that it's very difficult to see them not bouncing back.

2 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Good point, but the side effect is it's harder to build a club because it's tied to its existing turnover.

I think most people accept the premise of it, it's the application and the risk/reward balance for violating it to get promoted.

If it could be refined and improved, I think it would become more popular.

39 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Why shouldn’t Bournemouth’s oligarch spend his money how he wants? 

I do think any owner should be allowed to invest what ever they like in their businesses the only rule FFP really needs is no loaning the money, it has to be an investment so the only way you get any back is if the club get promoted from dividend pay out, as said though it has done the job of stopping clubs going bust

Archived