Things you wish you were good at?

Coneheadjohn

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure if it’s just me, but being fluent in another language has actually messed me up a little bit.

I speak Spanish 90% of the time these days, and it means when it comes to speaking English and having regular conversations, it’s really awkward.

I seem to speak slower, I’ve lost the ability to be quick and witty, and my accent is all messed up too. Sometimes I can’t find the words to what I want to say, and on occasions when I’m not 100% focused, I’ll respond in Spanish by accident.

When you’re fluent it’s like a switch in your brain when changing languages. It’s really weird, it has definitely messed up my thoughts pattern, like my brain can’t handle the excess information of knowing thousands more words.

I think I’d really struggle to have an English conversation with a complete stranger nowadays. I feel awkward doing it too.

I found it really difficult transitioning from a French speaking world back to an “English” speaking world. All the Americans think my accent is really strong, I don’t have the heart to tell them it’s barely recognizable from how it used to be.

interestingly enough the one thing that I haven’t transitioned back to English is Football, I still “watch” it in French, so if I see an obvious ball to the left I will say it in my head in French and when Keogh costs us another goal I still say “merde”..

1 hour ago, MuespachRam said:

interestingly enough the one thing that I haven’t transitioned back to English is Football, I still “watch” it in French, so if I see an obvious ball to the left I will say it in my head in French and when Keogh costs us another goal I still say “merde”..

You may say "merde" but some on here actually want to murder him.

I'd like to be able to speak another language, possibly Italian. I love the way they drag out the vowels. Chiaaanti Claaaasico.

I played a musical instrument all my life but the problem is, it can become all-consuming. Neglected children and home life, broken marriages, it all came at a cost. I was always out doing gigs. To many of the fraternity, a gig is merely slang for an engagement. Most of my stuff was classical, but I did a lot of shows, 1-2 weeks long, every night.

That was on top of the day job, and eventually, the marathon running. I've given them all up now, and home life is much more settled.

All I would say is, be careful what you wish for. Mine is certainly not a unique story.

Never mind languages, it would be shorthand for me, owing to the number of secretaries I dated.

Few kept diaries in shorthand and I remember looking through one thinking I know she was out with me that night, wish I knew what the truck she was thinking ?

14 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Staying cool on these hot days. Fair haired (well it was when I had some) fatties like me really suffer in this heat. Might need it's own thread this one but any tips on coping with this heat? 

Didn’t Cleopatatra have a couple of people fanning  her all the time?

Not sure it would be practical in everyday life but that might help.

Why can’t kids understand the concept of car air conditioning?

Typing. I have written 9 books at a speed of about 18 words per minute with 15 of them being wrong.

I also suck really bad at DIY. Whenever my wife sees me get my toolbox out she's like 'Wtf do you think you're going with that?' She then takes it off me and does whatever needs doing.

11 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Typing. I have written 9 books at a speed of about 18 words per minute with 15 of them being wrong.

I also suck really bad at DIY. Whenever my wife sees me get my toolbox out she's like 'Wtf do you think you're going with that?' She then takes it off me and does whatever needs doing.

Voice recognition software (think it's actually called dictation software these days) is the way forward for you sir. So much quicker and if you are the multitasking type, you can use your hands for something else - no jokes please! 

Maybe look at Dragon (SpeakingNaturally) packages first or experiment with the Google app which is free. Take advice if you are buying software though as there are numerous decent options and some may suit your needs better than others.

On 26/06/2018 at 15:43, Bris Vegas said:

Not sure if it’s just me, but being fluent in another language has actually messed me up a little bit.

I speak Spanish 90% of the time these days, and it means when it comes to speaking English and having regular conversations, it’s really awkward.

I seem to speak slower, I’ve lost the ability to be quick and witty, and my accent is all messed up too. Sometimes I can’t find the words to what I want to say, and on occasions when I’m not 100% focused, I’ll respond in Spanish by accident.

When you’re fluent it’s like a switch in your brain when changing languages. It’s really weird, it has definitely messed up my thoughts pattern, like my brain can’t handle the excess information of knowing thousands more words.

I think I’d really struggle to have an English conversation with a complete stranger nowadays. I feel awkward doing it too.

I'm by no means fluent in Spanish but I know what you mean.  In a similar way I now struggle to speak French as I drop Spanish words and phrases in ad hoc.  It is either English or a foreign language (which is always Spanish no matter where I am!)

20 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I hate DIY, quite happy to be absolute poo at it.. Trouble is I have mates who are good at it and love doing it. Always doing this or that.. Makes the rest of us look bad. Mugs.. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived