World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, blackNwhites said:

How have Colombia managed to get so many tickets? Great for the tournament to have such an atmosphere mind.

The Colombian drug cartels can get what ever they want.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Whereas I wholeheartedly agree that going in to lose is foolish I utterly disagree that momentum is that important.

The teams who tend to win the WC  are frequently in poor form at the beginning (see Germany every ft they have won it, plus Argentina twice)

Other than 66 when I was barely able to walk, the tournaments we did well at, we always started slow.

86 we were horrible in the group phases until a Lineker hat-trick over Poland bailed us out and then Argentina cheated us.

90 we were horrible in the group phase and only went through on goals scored with the Netherlands after we failed to win a group game. Then we barely got past Cameroon and didn't really play that well until we lost to West Germany in the semis.

Euro 96 - needed Gary McAllister to miss a penalty and a wonder goal by Gazza. Then played probably the most dominant performance by an England team I have ever seen in beating the Netherlands before losing on penalties to you know who.

I prefer to be playing well and I prefer not to be trying to manipulate who we play in the last 16, but I'm not too concerned by form at this stage.

Note: All of the above was done without the aid of Google, so if my memory wrong I'm about to look foolish. 

Nearly spot on Bob, but by my aged recollection our record in the group games at italia 90 was....

Ireland D 1-1

Netherlands D 0-0

Egypt W 1-0

But all your other points are spot on-we were generally not very good.

And as for this world cup - if we got Colombia in the round of 16 they will not be a pushover. ....

1 hour ago, blackNwhites said:

How have Colombia managed to get so many tickets? Great for the tournament to have such an atmosphere mind.

Not sure how accurate it was, but I read an article here in the US that said pretty much every team got as many as they wanted - that there wasn't a shortage.

It went on to say that Colombia sold almost twice as many as England - approx. 60k versus 30k.

If we make it to the last 8 I expect a flood of England supporters pouring over there.

20 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Not sure how accurate it was, but I read an article here in the US that said pretty much every team got as many as they wanted - that there wasn't a shortage.

It went on to say that Colombia sold almost twice as many as England - approx. 60k versus 30k.

If we make it to the last 8 I expect a flood of England supporters pouring over there.

Do you need a visa?

22 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

That will be just like italia 90 where crowds were generally low for the group games  (although trouble seemed more prevalent then) but around 25k England supporters were in the stadium for the semi final.

Apparently the US has purchased the 2nd highest number of tickets for Russia 2018 behind the hosts. And their team isn't even there! 

I had a dream that our offspring and those generations still in short trousers will spend the next 50 years looking at pictures of Harry Kane, held shoulder high by his teams mates brandishing a small golden trophy ... and instead of Nobby Styles toothless grin it will be Jesse sticking his tongue out 

Just goes to show that England teams will never win in some eyes. Same as in club football.

Most goals scored in a half and a game in this tournament, first English WC hat-trick (no matter how fluky) since Lineker, biggest major tournament win ever, more goals in that one game than all previous 7 WC games combined.

"Ah well, its only Panama."

Yes, they were poor, but you can only beat what's in front of you. We showed things that will still be effective against the so-called bigger teams. The favourites are struggling against so-called lesser teams.

Can't we just enjoy it for what it is for a change? Isn't it refreshing to not be having it in the back of our collective mind that we will only scrape a draw against the likes of Costa Rica and the USA?

Or am I not a proper football fan?

31 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Just goes to show that England teams will never win in some eyes. Same as in club football.

Most goals scored in a half and a game in this tournament, first English WC hat-trick (no matter how fluky) since Lineker, biggest major tournament win ever, more goals in that one game than all previous 7 WC games combined.

"Ah well, its only Panama."

Yes, they were poor, but you can only beat what's in front of you. We showed things that will still be effective against the so-called bigger teams.

Really? Sterling couldn't hit a barn door with a cow's arse. I'm not convinced by the 'back 5' [ what has Young done? Walker seems to be emulating Keogh, always got a mistake in him and Maguire particularly doesn't seem happy with the ball at his feet] nor what that means for the midfield - we're very open at times. When we've played Belgium then we'll have a better idea.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Really? Sterling couldn't hit a barn door with a cow's arse. I'm not convinced by the 'back 5' [ what has Young done? Walker seems to be emulating Keogh, always got a mistake in him and Maguire particularly doesn't seem happy with the ball at his feet] nor what that means for the midfield - we're very open at times. When we've played Belgium then we'll have a better idea.

Meanwhile, Lingard scoring scorchers, Kane scoring goals off his arse, and Stones scoring (or assisting with) bullet headers. 

We're open because we're being aggressive against these 'weaker' defensive teams. Have to disagree with Maguire, he saw plenty of the ball vs. Tunisia, and looked comfortable - that said, that's what Stones and Henderson are for.

Agree with Walker though, but that's what happens when you put a natural RB in at CB. He's said it himself that he's not comfortable there.

Archived