World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

15 minutes ago, Andicis said:

The aerial threat of Belgium vs the lack of height of Japan, it was always a bit of a mismatch. Loved Japan's football, they were technically very very good, and scored two great goals, but Lukaku missed an absolute sitter, and Belgium looked a threat from every cross. Why does Martinez play De Bruyne holding mid!? I can't understand it.

My theory: Giving more room for Hazard higher on the pitch. They do have good connections and distances most of the game. And add to that, position-wise and defensively Witsel is all over the place and he needs some support.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Dimmu said:

My theory: Giving more room for Hazard higher on the pitch. They do have good connections and distances most of the game. And add to that, position-wise and defensively Witsel is all over the place and he needs some support.

Surely you could play Dembele, move Hazard over to the wing and play De Bruyne centrally in an attacking role?

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Surely you could play Dembele, move Hazard over to the wing and play De Bruyne centrally in an attacking role?

Sure you could. But to have to so technically gifted players further away from each other, it means you'll be stronger in possession. Which suits Martinez's approach brilliantly.

Would have been nice to see Japan progress in terms of the upset side of things, but I'm kind of glad Belgium did it in the end. Belgium v Brazil has the potential to be a much, much better game than Japan v Brazil. Who wants to call the winner of that?

Ultimately, this result isn't going to effect England as the only chance we'll have of playing Belgium is in the final. We're in for a very tough game whether we play any of the four on that side of the draw should we make it through. I was rooting for Russia and Denmark hugely, but on that side, it doesn't really matter.

This World Cup has been brilliant so far. Unpredictable. The "crap" teams giving it a right go against the big boys. Germany and Spain getting dumped out early. England actually have a decent chance to win a tournament, scoring plenty of goals and we finally look like a team.

Watch us duck it up tomorrow ?

I missed the second game, looks like a missed a cracker.

I think the quality across the board has been really good. I also think Belgium vs Brazil is a matchup of the two most impressive teams in the tournament to date. Should be a cracker. It's easy to hate Brazil because of Neymar, but players like Coutinho and Willian have been largely excellent too. They look a force.

I can't call tomorrow's games at all. England vs Colombia has the potential to be a great game for the neutral.

2 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

Thoroughly enjoyable game played between two honest teams. No cheating, no histrionics, just two teams giving their all in a sporting manner. Football as she should be.

One of the best games of the wc so far.

7 hours ago, TimRam said:

One of the best games of the wc so far.

And there have been some good uns in this World Cup. Lineker said you could probably populate a list of top 10 World Cup games with 3 or 4 just from this World Cup. 

My biggest gripe has been some shameful playacting (not just Neymar).

It annoys me that players roll around as though they are mortally wounded after the merest of brushes.

I’d be disappointed if my 8 year old didn’t get up from most of those challenges without a single afterthought.

It brings the game into disrepute.  

I would bring in a rule that players have to be treated during the game (physios come onto the pitch during play and can only signal to the referee to stop the game if the player has to be taken off the field of play - at which point they stay off the pitch for the remainder of the game and must be substituted).

8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

It's easy to hate Brazil because of Neymar, but players like Coutinho and Willian have been largely excellent too. They look a force.

Maybe Coutinho and Willian should have a word with him, if he lets them obviously as it’s Neymar. (Don’t touch me)

You don’t gain extra points for popularity, not that points would do anything at this stage, but wouldn’t it be nice to win the World Cup and be known for being a great team? Not hated for rolling around the pitch conning the ref, not seeing much outside support for them which is all on his play acting.

He does get fouled a fair bit and that must be frustrating for him, but the chucking himself around the floor does him no favours. Refs will see this sat at home, on the news, social media. 

There’s a great story about a boy that cried wolf he should be read before bed.

PistoldPete2
8 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I missed the second game, looks like a missed a cracker.

I think the quality across the board has been really good. I also think Belgium vs Brazil is a matchup of the two most impressive teams in the tournament to date. Should be a cracker. It's easy to hate Brazil because of Neymar, but players like Coutinho and Willian have been largely excellent too. They look a force.

I can't call tomorrow's games at all. England vs Colombia has the potential to be a great game for the neutral.

England v Colombia is a close call.. Similar rankings in the world. That might make the teams a bit cagey, unlike Japan v Belgium when Japan just went for it with nothing to lose... Well nothing to lose except a 2-0 lead. 

2 hours ago, maydrakin said:

My biggest gripe has been some shameful playacting (not just Neymar).

It annoys me that players roll around as though they are mortally wounded after the merest of brushes.

I’d be disappointed if my 8 year old didn’t get up from most of those challenges without a single afterthought.

It brings the game into disrepute.  

I would bring in a rule that players have to be treated during the game (physios come onto the pitch during play and can only signal to the referee to stop the game if the player has to be taken off the field of play - at which point they stay off the pitch for the remainder of the game and must be substituted).

The much debated VAR should be watching out for blatant cheating and the players given yellow cards (retrospective if appropriate) - the Suarez collapse and roll about clutching his head when he'd taken a knock on the shoulder being a prime example - it's in danger of ruining what has in the main been an excellent tournament - when this is all over, we should be remembering the excellent play and wonderful skill that's been on show - not the cheaters and their ability to con the ref...

Problem with VAR is what next? 

FIFA will look back on it as a success and rightly so despite a few hiccups, it was never going to fully remove human error. 

Is it going to be introduced into domestic leagues or saved just the top European leagues and competitions as we don’t have enough trained referees to operate it.

Are we then in danger of creating 2 games, one for the rich and another for the poor?

Man Utd are able to get a penalty decision on review but Grimsby Town are not given one and get relegated on the last day.

Who pays for the technology? We have clubs running charity events just to stay in business, Will the leagues provide it free of charge? (Take it out the parachute payment money)

Will we see a scaled down version where the 3rd official has a tv and talks to the ref, managers no longer need a babysitter to make sure they stay in their technical area.

Future of VAR will be interesting, I’m all for it, just don’t like how it will create 2 versions of the game and if there is any solution to that.

3 hours ago, David said:

Maybe Coutinho and Willian should have a word with him, if he lets them obviously as it’s Neymar. (Don’t touch me)

You don’t gain extra points for popularity, not that points would do anything at this stage, but wouldn’t it be nice to win the World Cup and be known for being a great team? Not hated for rolling around the pitch conning the ref, not seeing much outside support for them which is all on his play acting.

He does get fouled a fair bit and that must be frustrating for him, but the chucking himself around the floor does him no favours. Refs will see this sat at home, on the news, social media. 

There’s a great story about a boy that cried wolf he should be read before bed.

Messi had a shocker of a tournament, but whenever he broke with the ball he was fouled.

Every single time he got up.

8 minutes ago, SuperFrankieLampard said:

Messi had a shocker of a tournament, but whenever he broke with the ball he was fouled.

Every single time he got up.

Messi had to as he was in danger of not being given his appearance bonus ? 

On a serious note Neymar has no excuse, Messi, Ronaldo, Hazard they all have the boot stuck in, it’s part of being a top player with quick feet that can hurt you. 

Instructions will be issued in the dressing room to let them know you are there, they are not going to sit back and watch the Neymar show as he flicks the ball over your head then back through your legs.

I watched a grand total of 0 Ligue 1 games last season but I bet it was no different week in week out, had to deal with the same attention. 

Hard to shift a reputation in football, having one as a drama queen will only hurt him more as decisions go against him. Sad to see as he should be a player to be enjoyed, not hated. 

3 hours ago, Andicis said:

Just spotted this. Neymar hasn't got any class, even in victory.

I used to like Neymar and thought players such as Messi, Iniesta and Xavi were decent role models for him at Barcelona. I remember Xavi specifically blasting him at one point after he tried to showboat, prompting Atletico Madrid's JuanFran to absolutely nail him which he fully deserved.

I can understand the Samba style and the crowdpleasing, but if you're going to do that, then you have to deal with what's likely to come for you and that's strong challenges.

His crying and rolling at this world cup has been a disgrace. I understand it's probably frustrating to get fouled, but tackling is a part of the game and as of yet there haven't been any challenges on him which have warranted the triple rolls.

Mexico's manager came out and called him a great player but a cheating clown. 

Neymar probably took offence and now he's come out and said that. Nobody from Mexico's side talked about him leading up to the game, so his comments have seemingly come as a direct response to Osorio's clown comments.

The guy is a n0bber. Can't wait until Brazil get knocked out and the ponce can go back to playing in a crap French league which nobody else around Europe gives a monkeys about.

Archived