World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

Just now, Squid said:

This is the 9th World Cup I can remember & I can't remember it being more enjoyable! Or open!

Whilst being open is enjoyable, part of me is starting to think that this World Cup could be a bit of a hollow victory for whoever takes it. 

Germany, Spain, Argentina out, Italy and Netherlands failing to qualify, feels a bit like the stars aligning for Leicester to win the Premier League.

Obviously the winners won't care one bit how they did it, just wish there was a bit more strength there in the Quarters, Russia the hosts were written off even getting out the group yet they are still in there. 

This one might belong in the unpopular opinion thread.

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, David said:

Whilst being open is enjoyable, part of me is starting to think that this World Cup could be a bit of a hollow victory for whoever takes it. 

Germany, Spain, Argentina out, Italy and Netherlands failing to qualify, feels a bit like the stars aligning for Leicester to win the Premier League.

Obviously the winners won't care one bit how they did it, just wish there was a bit more strength there in the Quarters, Russia the hosts were written off even getting out the group yet they are still in there. 

I understand your perspective, but on the most part the"good" teams aren't going out by being particularly poor - they're often being outplayed. And that's exactly the type of football that (in my opinion) is the greatest.

I don't think it will be hollow at all, unless the winner wins while playing mediocre football.

1 minute ago, David said:

Kind of agree, but it's not like anyone decent has gone out. Germany, Argentina and Spain were all very poor in at least 3/4 of their games.

PistoldPete2
6 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Nothing beats mexico 1970

Pele!!

Banks. Der Bomber. Moore. Jairzinho. Rivera. Jumpers for goalposts. 

PistoldPete2
4 minutes ago, David said:

Still expect the later stages to go to form... More Like the FA Cup, with a few shocks but usually The big teams still win it. 

Oof he almost did it. 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Just now, SaintRam said:

but on the most part the"good" teams aren't going out by being particularly poor

Got to disagree, Germany and Argentina were very poor as have France until they knocked out Argentina. Spain probably not poor but they were toothless up front.

Feels lacking without the Italians and Netherlands out there, even though they have crap teams now, just doesn't feel right.

Just now, David said:

Got to disagree, Germany and Argentina were very poor as have France until they knocked out Argentina. Spain probably not poor but they were toothless up front.

Feels lacking without the Italians and Netherlands out there, even though they have crap teams now, just doesn't feel right.

I think that's not giving enough credit to the teams that have replaced them though. There's talent across the board, not just in the "usual suspects" for once. 

This is the best World Cup ever, for me. So far at least. Every game (except some meaningless group games and two Denmark games) has been thoroughly entertaining regardless of the on-paper quality on either side.

Last few World Cups I've been thoroughly bored in the majority of games. This has been something else. 

Archived