World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure who I would have preferred, first half Switzerland looked a bit more creative and dangerous, and I could see them causing our back 3 a bit of trouble, but Sweden are organised and could be frustrating.

Get a couple against the Swedes and we should be fine. 

Referee is a plonker, how many times has he obstructed people, or has the ball rebounded off him? 

1 minute ago, Rample said:

Not sure who I would have preferred, first half Switzerland looked a bit more creative and dangerous, and I could see them causing our back 3 a bit of trouble, but Sweden are organised and could be frustrating.

Get a couple against the Swedes and we should be fine. 

Referee is a plonker, how many times has he obstructed people, or has the ball rebounded off him? 

This post will age well if Colombia win ? 

Wasn't looking at that game with who I'd prefer. I was watching that thinking "it's hard to believe one of these teams will be quarter finalists". 

It's a shame they got each other in the 16. 

Sweden have been really solid this World Cup, but England have all the right tools to beat them.

I'm going to throw this out there now. If England don't reach the World Cup final being in this position, then this tournament has been a failure. 

Maybe the inner cocky Englishman is coming out the closer it is to kick off unlike before but I really can’t see Colombia knocking England out. The stars seem to be alligning with James’ injury and even if he plays, he will only be about 70% match fit. Colombia are half the team when James isn’t at his best. Southgate doesn’t seem the type to allow complacency to come through and the players are well rested to go all out.

33 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sweden have been really solid this World Cup, but England have all the right tools to beat them.

I'm going to throw this out there now. If England don't reach the World Cup final being in this position, then this tournament has been a failure. 

It’s last season all over again. Start the season ‘I reckon we’ll finish about 8th, anything over 10th I’d be happy with, play offs would be dream land.’

As the season progresses: ‘oh my god, we’re second, we’re going to win this thing.’

a bit later on: ‘ffs Rowett, scraping into 6th in the last day, get you’re coat you ducking clown.’

He’s gone, and I’m not gutted. I just hope we don’t get a similar reaction if we duck this up with England. Before the tournament, just a couple of decent performances would’ve been great, quarter finals would’ve been dreamland. The whole reason everyone thinks we’re going to do well, ironically, is because of the lack of pressure and expectation. 

Now it’s all piling back on again, we’ll probably duck it right up. 

11 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

It’s last season all over again. Start the season ‘I reckon we’ll finish about 8th, anything over 10th I’d be happy with, play offs would be dream land.’

As the season progresses: ‘oh my god, we’re second, we’re going to win this thing.’

a bit later on: ‘ffs Rowett, scraping into 6th in the last day, get you’re coat you ducking clown.’

He’s gone, and I’m not gutted. I just hope we don’t get a similar reaction if we duck this up with England. Before the tournament, just a couple of decent performances would’ve been great, quarter finals would’ve been dreamland. The whole reason everyone thinks we’re going to do well, ironically, is because of the lack of pressure and expectation. 

Now it’s all piling back on again, we’ll probably duck it right up. 

I can fully understand in terms of pressure. I just don't think there can be any excuses. I can forgive losing to a better team, such as Brazil, France, Belgium or even Spain or Germany considering they still have a host of renowned top stars.

But when all we need to do is beat Colombia, Sweden and one of Russia/Croatia to reach a World Cup final then how can you throw that chance away. If we don't reach the final, we'll look back at this opportunity in years and think what a c0ckup.

We already look back at the 'Golden Generation' with regret of losing to a decent Portugal side on penalties, twice. That Portugal side was good, as it evidently showed reaching Euro 2004 final and WC 2006 semi-final.

But the teams that stand infront of us now are nowhere near the calibre, while arguably this England team is far more balanced than the one of 2006. 

I'm certainly not counting any chickens. We could lose today.

But if we do, in 20 years time I think we'll look back and think 'What a chance missed. Russia 2018 was the one'

I can't forsee us ever having such an easy route to the final again. The stars have alligned.

20 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Maybe the inner cocky Englishman is coming out the closer it is to kick off unlike before but I really can’t see Colombia knocking England out. The stars seem to be alligning with James’ injury and even if he plays, he will only be about 70% match fit. Colombia are half the team when James isn’t at his best. Southgate doesn’t seem the type to allow complacency to come through and the players are well rested to go all out.

This will probably come back to bite me, but I hope he does play. You can’t afford to have passengers in a game like this, so carrying a half fit James could be more a hindrance to Colombia than if he were ruled out completely and somebody came in to take his place. They were second best against Senegal until James went off, then they finally picked up. Here’s hoping the same happens tonight.

4 minutes ago, Kernow said:

This will probably come back to bite me, but I hope he does play. You can’t afford to have passengers in a game like this, so carrying a half fit James could be more a hindrance to Colombia than if he were ruled out completely and somebody came in to take his place. They were second best against Senegal until James went off, then they finally picked up. Here’s hoping the same happens tonight.

He looks to be on the bench today. Colombia have switched to 4-3-3 with barrios coming in for James 

2 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Playing Lingaard Sterling and Alli seems very attacking. Hope we don’t get hit on the counter with just Henderson left stranded on his own in midfield.

I thought the whole point of three centre backs was to free up as much of the midfield as possible. 

No james is a huge blow for Colombia

Not disrespecting other teams but England with sweden and most likely croatia to play to get to the finals, a weakened colombia tonight, have a HUGE CHANCE. I know people want to keep expectations nice and low, but if they dont reach the semis (at least) now, they never will

Even if England go out tonight, I've enjoyed their performances so far, Belgium aside. 

Signs of progress, a system being put in place and great optimism what the future may bring, and it's been a long time since I've felt that about the national side.

No pressure lads, just go and perform to your best and what will be will be.

As a side note, Apple Music have the entire World Cup 70 England album available, I hope this isn't the last time this summer I play it.

It's got Sugar, Sugar on it, and is well recommended.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Even if England go out tonight, I've enjoyed their performances so far, Belgium aside. 

Signs of progress, a system being put in place and great optimism what the future may bring, and it's been a long time since I've felt that about the national side.

No pressure lads, just go and perform to your best and what will be will be.

As a side note, Apple Music have the entire World Cup 70 England album available, I hope this isn't the last time this summer I play it.

It's got Sugar, Sugar on it, and is well recommended.

I expect more to be honest, Iran would have beaten both tunisia and Panama

If England go out, southgate needs sacking for his dire line up vs Belgium

1 minute ago, dcfcfan1 said:

I expect more to be honest, Iran would have beaten both tunisia and Panama

If England go out, southgate needs sacking for his dire line up vs Belgium

You can't switch to us now fella, and demand our manager gets the boot just because you couldn't squeeze through an easy group!?

Archived