World Cup 2018 thread

jackhasler23

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Still expect the later stages to go to form... More Like the FA Cup, with a few shocks but usually The big teams still win it. 

The draw has left it somewhat unbalanced with the final being

France, Uruguay, Brazil or Belgium

v

Russia, Croatia, England/Colombia or  Sweden/Switzerland

Would it be fair to say all the stronger teams left are on one side of the draw. 

20 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Nothing beats mexico 1970

Pele!!

16 years before my first World Cup! 

It's still been bloody enjoyment whoever has been involved. And the end to that game sums it up! 

I know people don't rate Fellaini but I'm a fan. You can surround him with pretty footballers but he's not a donkey in possession and he's superb physically. You know you've got a secret weapon

4 minutes ago, David said:

The draw has left it somewhat unbalanced with the final being

France, Uruguay, Brazil or Belgium

v

Russia, Croatia, England/Colombia or  Sweden/Switzerland

Would it be fair to say all the stronger teams left are on one side of the draw. 

Yes, I think so. Although I think Colombia, England and Croatia on a similar level to Uruguay.

But all that really matters is that the final is entertaining, and the games leading up to it are too. We've had the "best two teams in the world" meet in Finals recently and its been just awful.

Just now, Alpha said:

I know people don't rate Fellaini but I'm a fan. You can surround him with pretty footballers but he's not a donkey in possession and he's superb physically. You know you've got a secret weapon

He should have started v Japan. They would have won comfortably. Japan were delighted to see him on the bench.

Martinez got lucky that he had time to make the impact he did.

Belgium really showed their mettle to come back and win from 2-0 down. That game has restored my faith in football after Neymar's antics this afternoon. 

One slightly lucky goal from Belgium to get back into it but otherwise the goals for both sides were first class. 

Great entertainment! 

Just now, AdamRam said:

After watching such dour football last season this World Cup has restored by enjoyment in football.  Shows that you don’t have to be the best players to play good entertaining football.

Definitely! 

Started off barely interested and then seeing how the weak teams are brave with their possession it just sucks you in. 

All the teams in love with their own football so much they don't even bother to protect themselves has made for some great games. 

I bet the top sides and players thought the group stage would be a chance for them to boost their goal tally

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I think that's not giving enough credit to the teams that have replaced them though. There's talent across the board, not just in the "usual suspects" for once. 

Give credit to the sides of course, there has been some spirited performances but the big boys have gone missing this year rather than the likes of Korea making huge strides going forward. 

To beat Germany who finish bottom of the group, winning just one game, nah. They haven't turned up for whatever reason, long seasons? Champions League/Europa League taking it's toll on these modern footballers? Don't know, but there hasn't been any stand out performers as yet and we're almost in the QF stage.

The aerial threat of Belgium vs the lack of height of Japan, it was always a bit of a mismatch. Loved Japan's football, they were technically very very good, and scored two great goals, but Lukaku missed an absolute sitter, and Belgium looked a threat from every cross. Why does Martinez play De Bruyne holding mid!? I can't understand it.

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I know it’s a cliche but he’s one of those players who is appreciated by teammates. I think the reason Man Utd fans don’t like him is because they’re used to the “Man Utd way”, whilst Fellaini epitomises everything wrong with Mourinho and the Moyes eras. Probably wrong but when you think of Fellaini, you think of the long ball, but for me, he offers much more than that. 

I really like him as a player, when he’s not elbowing people. He’s got a great touch and his control with his chest is up there with the best in the world.

27 minutes ago, David said:

Whilst being open is enjoyable, part of me is starting to think that this World Cup could be a bit of a hollow victory for whoever takes it. 

Germany, Spain, Argentina out, Italy and Netherlands failing to qualify, feels a bit like the stars aligning for Leicester to win the Premier League.

Obviously the winners won't care one bit how they did it, just wish there was a bit more strength there in the Quarters, Russia the hosts were written off even getting out the group yet they are still in there. 

This one might belong in the unpopular opinion thread.

The Russians need drug testing! And I'm glad Italy aint there boring everyone with their defensive masterclass. It seems everyones attitude is that attack is the best form of defence!

Just now, Squid said:

The Russians need drug testing! And I'm glad Italy aint there boring everyone with their defensive masterclass. It seems everyones attitude is that attack is the best form of defence!

We’ll cheryshev’s dad has come out and said his son has taken banned substances.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/30/russia-world-cup-hero-denis-cheryshev-denies-taking-banned-substances/amp/

I wouldn’t like to be in that household! 

22 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

That is some finish to a game. 

Goal of the tournament so far for me , Chadlis winner , brilliant fast paced attack , De Bruyne brilliant break , good low cross from Meunier , a superb dummy from Lukaku and the finish from Chadli , fancy Belguim to beat Brazil

Archived