Greatest stroke of managerial genius by a Rams manager

5 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

No I didn't forget it, I was just trying to get passed Clough and Mackay.

And anyway, Archie was even better and I was at the Preston cup game away when he ran us ragged shortly before we signed him.

i dont dispute that Archie was a better player but your post is about strokes of genius and that what it was signing Willie a player very few had ever heard of  watch Willie Carlin meets Rams TV   and yes i saw him play along with all the Rams players from the time of my all time hero Tommy Powell onwards  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, RamNut said:

mcfarland converting paul williams to centre back

I think that's more the thing I had in mind, and yes that was an awesome move.

All managers make great signings and bad ones, it's the outside the box thinking that really separates the great from the not so great.

2 minutes ago, TommyPowel said:

i dont dispute that Archie was a better player but your post is about strokes of genius and that what it was signing Willie a player very few had ever heard of  watch Willie Carlin meets Rams TV   and yes i saw him play along with all the Rams players from the time of my all time hero Tommy Powell onwards  

Archie was pretty unheard of too and if we hadn't played Preston I doubt we'd have signed him.

BTW my old man was a friend of Tommy's. Not close or anything but I met him and Steve several times.

I don't remember Tommy playing, a tad before my time, but jeez I think if he'd stayed injury free, Steve would have had a great career.

Not many players hit their peak at 16!!

18 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Archie was pretty unheard of too and if we hadn't played Preston I doubt we'd have signed him.

BTW my old man was a friend of Tommy's. Not close or anything but I met him and Steve several times.

I don't remember Tommy playing, a tad before my time, but jeez I think if he'd stayed injury free, Steve would have had a great career.

Steve was a battler his dad was pure skill the only player ive ever seen you could bring a ball down under control from waist high and could cross a ball almost as good as Hinton

Nigel deciding to kill our momentum by swapping Kuqi for Moore because he was forced to play him......

Seriously, George Burley signing all them freebies. Rasiak from out of nowhere scoring goals to take us to the play offs. Unbelievable.

10 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Amazing team spirit, Billy’s balls and a nice slice of luck got us over the line.

We got pummelled away at Southampton, lost the home leg and got battered at Wembley. But I wouldn’t change a thing.

Them teutonic peno’s, the biblical rain, the North Stand physically shaking in its foundations, the pitch invasion, the trip from Newcastle to London picking up more and more Rams at every station, more rain, Wembley Way, Mears tackle, Howard to Giles to Pearo to onion bag, the endless injury time and finally the full time whistle. Fookinyeah!!!

Love all of this but it was Fagen who put in the tackle to start that move.  It was the one decent thing he did in all of his time here...

15 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Love all of this but it was Fagen who put in the tackle to start that move.  It was the one decent thing he did in all of his time here...

Ha - you’re bang right. He did put in that one tackle to push the ball to Howard. And it was the ONLY good thing he did ?

10 hours ago, TommyPowel said:

Steve was a battler his dad was pure skill the only player ive ever seen you could bring a ball down under control from waist high and could cross a ball almost as good as Hinton

Not sure you have done Tommy Powell full justice there. He was a delight to watch, and several times I saw him bring down the ball from nearer to shoulder height - more like a ballerina on the right wing! And you no doubt recall that if he did not receive much of the ball he was presumably under instructions to go looking for it, even to the extent of us ending up with two left wingers for a while!

Harry Storer knew how to blend his players : Glyn Davies, Frank Upton and Malcolm Mc Donnell as the" enforcers " with Tommy Powell, George Darwin and (ball playing centre half) Ray Young providing some exquisite skill - wonderful days, even though too many were in the lower leagues!

Some were great successes Stimac, Idakez, McGrath, Saunders,

Others that were good but I got a little too excited over - Eranio, Ravenelli, West

The one that never was but I was almost giddy with excitement - Baggio

I am sure there are more but these sprung to mind

15 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

It's stupid looking at Clough as  there are so many, you have Dave Mackay, Roy Mac, buying Toddy when Rolls Royce was on it's ass, King Kev.

It's kind of like the entire team.

Dave Mackay isn't far being with Frannie, Charlie George and even Bruce Rioch.

But what about since then.

If I had to pick one killer moment I'd start with Cox selling Kevin Wilson when he was tearing it up and the highest scorer in the division. Or Jim Smith signing Stimac.

But i'm going to go for the former.

Few people didn't question his sanity until he started to bring the likes of Micklewhite in with the money he made.

If buying a player and you don't shell out in to the multiple millions then they tend to get forgotten, whereas selling you best player at the time when you're not a successful club, well that takes genius.

Well, genius and a huge set of gonads.

I wish Arthur had never been given lots of money.

Similarly Jim Smith immediately sold arguably our two better players in Short and Williams to fund the likes of DPFG, Willems, Stimac etc. Got to be worth a mention.

3 hours ago, Dordogne-Ram said:

Not sure you have done Tommy Powell full justice there. He was a delight to watch, and several times I saw him bring down the ball from nearer to shoulder height - more like a ballerina on the right wing! And you no doubt recall that if he did not receive much of the ball he was presumably under instructions to go looking for it, even to the extent of us ending up with two left wingers for a while!

Harry Storer knew how to blend his players : Glyn Davies, Frank Upton and Malcolm Mc Donnell as the" enforcers " with Tommy Powell, George Darwin and (ball playing centre half) Ray Young providing some exquisite skill - wonderful days, even though too many were in the lower leagues!

i was cautious where controlling the ball was concerned i thought people wouldnt believe me lol

14 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Still waiting for Ramstv meets..... Steve Powell. If anybody is more DCFC than Steve I would love to hear about him. Even Roy Mac doesn’t quite touch him for service beyond the call of duty to the club.

Well, Gordon Guthrie probably (definitely) surpassed him but unfortunately he’s no longer with us. The only thing that could ever have dragged that man away from HIS club.

21 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Of course I now look forward to about 3 months of people telling me that. It will teach me to type with brain disengaged. FML

At least you stuck it in the right forum. 

Archived