Worst foul you ever saw on a Derby player?

I have no idea how I stumbled upon Gerry Gow this morning, but I had no idea he was dead.

Steve Emery is lucky he isn't dead mind you after the tackle Gow put on him in a night match up at Millmoor when he broke his leg.

I think that's the worst tackle I ever saw.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mickey Lewis in the mid 80s... TBH don't remember that much about it (or even if it was a foul) just remember that he had a spasm whilst on the ground.

Shaun Barker by Mad Frankie Fielding against forest May 2012 ?

Is Frank Lampard our manager yet?

How actually got booked in the second minute for a really bad foul on Emery then broke his leg in a horror tackle 2 minutes later.

Mick Harford on Mel Sage was pretty bad.

Oh and Mickey Droy on Mark Lillis

11 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I have no idea how I stumbled upon Gerry Gow this morning, but I had no idea he was dead.

Steve Emery is lucky he isn't dead mind you after the tackle Gow put on him in a night match up at Millmoor when he broke his leg.

I think that's the worst tackle I ever saw.

I posted his death at the time but it was removed by the mods : too contentious I assumed.

My reaction as soon as I saw this thread was "Gow, Rotherham away, Steve Emery". Horrendous tackle which, IIRC, broke his leg in four places.

Phil Gunter's tackle at the BBG which effectively finished Tommy Powell's career was not very edifying, together with Pat van den Hauw's on Ted McMinn.

And does anyone remember the tackle by ? Smith, number 10 for Newcastle against Birmingham on MOTD in late 60s or early 70s. Took the Birmingham right winger out at knee height straight from the kick off, possibly holds the dubious records, in the UK at least, of (a)getting sent off without touching the ball and (b) within 10 seconds of the kick off.

At half time, we were informed that Newcastle had terminated his contract on the spot - probably prevented a riot!

4 minutes ago, sage said:

How actually got booked in the second minute for a really bad foul on Emery then broke his leg in a horror tackle 2 minutes later.

Mick Harford on Mel Sage was pretty bad.

Oh and Mickey Droy on Mark Lillis

Yes he did. I seem to remember being 1-0 up with them missing a penalty and Gow in the dressing room and we still managed to lose. 

Can’t remember the foul but it was on Ted McMinn and led to Mark Wright charging half the length of the pitch to knock him out. I met Ooh Mark Wright a few years ago and he said he had to do it - the guy had nearly chopped Ted in two!

Pearce on McMinn every game by the 3rd minute. He put Ted almost over the advertisement hoardings on the Executive Stand side at the CG one year. Didn’t even give a foul. Their scummy fans were drooling over it. Baztuds. Ref’s used to bottle it every time.

Someone broke Hooks/Taylor/Lewis leg at the BBG in about 84/85 and you could hear the crack from the other end of the pitch. Mind you, there was only about 9000 there so pretty quiet!

Just now, Kinder said:

Can’t remember the foul but it was on Ted McMinn and led to Mark Wright charging half the length of the pitch to knock him out. I met Ooh Mark Wright a few years ago and he said he had to do it - the guy had nearly chopped Ted in two!

Versus Norwich. 1988 I think. They are top at the time.

Wright was going to take his head off if he hadn’t been restrained. Some captain!

7 minutes ago, ivo_knoflicek said:

Dwight Yorke on Dean Yates.

He went on to high five (Collymore I think) straight after doing that. Awful challenge and he meant it ?

5 minutes ago, RebelScum said:

Mickey Lewis in the mid 80s... TBH don't remember that much about it (or even if it was a foul) just remember that he had a spasm whilst on the ground.

Not a foul. As was his wont, he went in hard on the opponent and his head caught the knee or boot of the opponent and he was in danger of swallowing his tongue. Thankfully Super Gordon Guthrie was quickly out of the dugout to avert a more serious situation.

4 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

He went on to high five (Collymore I think) straight after doing that. Awful challenge and he meant it ?

And then grinned at the ref in the gormless way he does and escaped being sent off - complete and utter winker that bloke....

5 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:
7 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Versus Norwich. 1988 I think. They are top at the time.

Wright was going to take his head off if he hadn’t been restrained. Some captain!

It was Trevor Putney if I remember right. I think this was it but the camera man seems to have missed the orignal tackle.

2 minutes ago, Gaspode said:
8 minutes ago, TexasRam said:

And then grinned at the ref in the gormless way he does and escaped being sent off - complete and utter winker that bloke....

I didn't see it but my mum, who is not prone to such outbursts, did and told me after the game it was absolutly deliberate and she hoped the ducking see you next Tuesday Yorke gets his ducking legs broken.

Archived