Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

This is nothing to indicate that there was any release clause in his contract that he signed just 6 months earlier.  Even if true then there would have been a minimum fee attached, otherwise Watford could have paid a fiver for him.  He went because he didn’t feature in GRs plans and he cashed in, WH agreed to the move because he also knew his time was up at Derby.

The difference between that sale and the one of Vydra is that hopefully Lampard knows a good player, and therefore will not give away on the cheap if he does at all.  The only problem is if we have to sell, then we may have no choice in the fee agreed, as it may become a buyers market.

what other bits of Will's contract do you know?

Sorry but you appear to be a touch to quick to blame DCFC for the failure to maximize the value.  You may be right but you are guessing,  the only fact is that Watford had no competition for his signature

3 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Sorry but you appear to be a touch to quick to blame DCFC for the failure to maximize the value.  You may be right but you are guessing,  the only fact is that Watford had no competition for his signature

I agree - The market dictates the value of a player at that point in time - Premier League teams are mostly averse to spending on players who have no PL experience even if they could be a gem - And Hughes came off the back of two season where he'd been injury hit and had to adapt to 5 different managers - He's probably worth twice what we got for him already just from PL playing time 

Vydra we might have the same problem with - His previous stints in the PL haven't been overly successful which will worry teams up there - And there are only a few teams in our league who will spend £10m+ on a striker - Especially a number 10 when a lot of teams still play with a lone striker

Realistically if we get £15m for Vydra we'll be doing well - I'd say more like £12m

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

You mean it’s ok for you to guess but when somebody speculates that this isn’t the case you don’t want to entertain the idea ?

Watford did have competition, we could have turned the bid down, we didn’t, we accepted it, my opinion is that we didn’t get enough money to justify his sale, I’m not sure who other than DCFC you could blame for this ?

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I agree - The market dictates the value of a player at that point in time - Premier League teams are mostly averse to spending on players who have no PL experience even if they could be a gem - And Hughes came off the back of two season where he'd been injury hit and had to adapt to 5 different managers - He's probably worth twice what we got for him already just from PL playing time 

Vydra we might have the same problem with - His previous stints in the PL haven't been overly successful which will worry teams up there - And there are only a few teams in our league who will spend £10m+ on a striker - Especially a number 10 when a lot of teams still play with a lone striker

Realistically if we get £15m for Vydra we'll be doing well - I'd say more like £12m

Good points, well made.  One season doesn't make a striker.  I just wonder how many of us are confident that if Vyds stays there will be a nailed on contribution of 20+ goals  from him?  I suppose the fall back is that prem clubs tend to be awash with money.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

You mean it’s ok for you to guess but when somebody speculates that this isn’t the case you don’t want to entertain the idea ?

Watford did have competition, we could have turned the bid down, we didn’t, we accepted it, my opinion is that we didn’t get enough money to justify his sale, I’m not sure who other than DCFC you could blame for this ?

er... you don't entertain the idea at all so don't snipe at me. 

All I am suggesting is you don't know but it doesn't stop you moaning about our club.  I'll leave it now and let you go on with your moaning about DCFC and your knowledgeable perceptions about the failures it has made

3 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Clubs in the bottom half of the prem aren’t going to attract the big names players, getting a player like Vydra to work may result in their survival.  Have a look at how many players scored 20 goals in the season in all leagues last year, it’s a handful and it’s why players like Rhodes went for over 10 million.

Plenty of players haven’t worked in the PL and have dropped down a league before making the step up again, buying a player  from the championship also means you haven’t got the wage demands of someone who is proven in it, if we weren’t in the market to sell, 15m+ would be the minimum he would go for, however if we are then it’s a different matter.

2 minutes ago, Spanish said:

er... you don't entertain the idea at all so don't snipe at me. 

All I am suggesting is you don't know but it doesn't stop you moaning about our club.  I'll leave it now and let you go on with your moaning about DCFC and your knowledgeable perceptions about the failures it has made

I’m not saying I don’t entertain the idea, however both roads lead back to the club, be it a clause or selling him at a cheaper value - I’ll leave you and your rose spectacles to ponder that ?

11 minutes ago, Spanish said:

Good points, well made.  One season doesn't make a striker.  I just wonder how many of us are confident that if Vyds stays there will be a nailed on contribution of 20+ goals  from him?  I suppose the fall back is that prem clubs tend to be awash with money.

He suited the system down to a tee last season - Next year he might not

He didn't fit into the system McClaren wanted to play so barely featured in the Mac2 stint

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Clubs in the bottom half of the prem aren’t going to attract the big names players, getting a player like Vydra to work may result in their survival.  Have a look at how many players scored 20 goals in the season in all leagues last year, it’s a handful and it’s why players like Rhodes went for over 10 million.

Plenty of players haven’t worked in the PL and have dropped down a league before making the step up again, buying a player  from the championship also means you haven’t got the wage demands of someone who is proven in it, if we weren’t in the market to sell, 15m+ would be the minimum he would go for, however if we are then it’s a different matter.

Oh I understand the logic perfectly and agree with you

But I couldn't name you any players who've done that - Mostly they drop down, join a team on the up, get promoted with them, do well in the PL and THEN PL teams suddenly go "oh he's good isn't he?"

I think there are 2 clubs who buy from the Championship: Burnley and Bournemouth - The former cos Dyche is a genius at spotting a player for his system and the latter cos they are playing a league above the finances a club of their size can support

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

He suited the system down to a tee last season - Next year he might not

He didn't fit into the system McClaren wanted to play so barely featured in the Mac2 stint

Oh I understand the logic perfectly and agree with you

But I couldn't name you any players who've done that - Mostly they drop down, join a team on the up, get promoted with them, do well in the PL and THEN PL teams suddenly go "oh he's good isn't he?"

I think there are 2 clubs who buy from the Championship: Burnley and Bournemouth - The former cos Dyche is a genius at spotting a player for his system and the latter cos they are playing a league above the finances a club of their size can support

Possibly however Chris wood, Tom Ince and Jake Livermore spring to mind who have.  I’d also say West Ham, Southampton are also clubs who could join your list.

8 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Possibly however Chris wood, Tom Ince and Jake Livermore spring to mind who have.  I’d also say West Ham, Southampton are also clubs who could join your list.

Burnley are my case in point team - In that you could also add Hendrick to the list if you're including midfielders

Livermore is a terrible example - He went from Premier League Spurs to Premier League Hull - Got relegated and went back up - Then went Premier League Hull to Premier League West Brom - If he gets snapped up now it will be the first time in his career he's signed for a team outside the league he's in

Examples are few and far between though

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Burnley are my case in point team - In that you could also add Hendrick to the list if you're including midfielders

Livermore is a terrible example - He went from Premier League Spurs to Premier League Hull - Got relegated and went back up - Then went Premier League Hull to Premier League West Brom - If he gets snapped up now it will be the first time in his career he's signed for a team outside the league he's in

Examples are few and far between though

Substitute player for that word as , for me, he proves the world of football is crazy!?

4 hours ago, AdamRam said:

My gut feeling is that Hughes was allowed to go to Watford to offset the money we owed on Vydra and Anya. Either that or he had a buy out figure in his contract that Watford were advised of .  His agent used to play for Watford after all.

4 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

Either Vydra's going to have a bloody good partner or he's changed targets 

If there's any truth in this then I'd expect the fee to be considerably more than £12m seeing as Wolves reportedly just paid £12.5m for him

2 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

If there's any truth in this then I'd expect the fee to be considerably more than £12m seeing as Wolves reportedly just paid £12.5m for him

Says they paid 10m in the story, John Percy normally reliable

Archived