Matej Vydra - Signed for Burnley

Bris Vegas

28 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

By all accounts Bobby Reid was a converted CM and hit the ground running when he was moved upfront. He’s incredibly hard working and offers a great deal more than Vydra overall.

Vyd is a goal scorer that has a patchy record and has already flopped at that level before. It would be some gamble for a club to pay £11m on him as a player when there are other options available.

As a Premier League team taking a ‘punt’ then Marriott stands out than Vydra in my opinion. He would cost less, both in transfer fee and certainly in wages. 

Reid was a CM and think you're right about Vydra he's definitely a confidence player.

Marriott would be a gamble but reminds me of when we took a gamble on Dean Saunders from a lower league side at 1M which was quite big money at the time but he hit the ground running.

What would surely appeal to someone like Marriott who is obviously a goal scorer is how many chances will he get in games and with the likely possibility that Mount,Wilson,Lawrence Hudds etc will be  behind him I think he'll be thinking ....plenty !!  

Could be an amazing move for him if it goes right 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Vydra would score goals in the PL if played in the right position. The only issue is, the only teams who would go for him are those expected to be fighting near the bottom. Vydra is too much of a luxury player to have in that situation in my opinion, I'm not sure he would offer enough when your backs are against the wall. Chances would also be much less common, so he would need to be even more clinical than he is at this level.

Nixon suggesting that any deal for Marriott would depend on a "sale" - e.g. Vydra leaving. I wonder if that is the case, would we drop our demands slightly in order to encourage a sale? It all depends on how FL sees Vydra's position in the squad. If he's going to be a square peg in a round hole, do we still hold out for say £12m and have no takers, or do we drop the price slightly to encourage teams, but face a backlash for "selling on the cheap"?

It's a difficult position if there isn't already a bidding war going on.

24 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I think Vydra would score goals in the PL if played in the right position. The only issue is, the only teams who would go for him are those expected to be fighting near the bottom. Vydra is too much of a luxury player to have in that situation in my opinion, I'm not sure he would offer enough when your backs are against the wall. Chances would also be much less common, so he would need to be even more clinical than he is at this level.

Nixon suggesting that any deal for Marriott would depend on a "sale" - e.g. Vydra leaving. I wonder if that is the case, would we drop our demands slightly in order to encourage a sale? It all depends on how FL sees Vydra's position in the squad. If he's going to be a square peg in a round hole, do we still hold out for say £12m and have no takers, or do we drop the price slightly to encourage teams, but face a backlash for "selling on the cheap"?

It's a difficult position if there isn't already a bidding war going on.

Keep him unless we get fair market value but as things are developing at Derby with mount and Wilson signing Vydra may well be wanting to utterly stay and play and score goals for Derby county - why should he leave unless he is getting shed loads more money elsewhere- so if he is to leave a desperate team in the premiership is most likely- Brighton or somewhere like that where he would do well in my opinion

If we’re not gonna get an inflated price for Vydra I’d much rather see him move to a prem club than strengthening one of our promotion rivals. Still don’t think that 11m is enough and I’d keep him at that personally as I feel he could play the number 9 in the system were setting up. That said clearly if we get more for him then we should sell him as it will allow us to improve the team as a whole.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

If we’re not gonna get an inflated price for Vydra I’d much rather see him move to a prem club than strengthening one of our promotion rivals. Still don’t think that 11m is enough and I’d keep him at that personally as I feel he could play the number 9 in the system were setting up. That said clearly if we get more for him then we should sell him as it will allow us to improve the team as a whole.

Vydra can't play as a sole striker. We saw that under Pearson & he openly admitted himself that he cannot play in that role. His best position is behind the striker, which we don't look to be using that system.

4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I feel he could play the number 9 in the system were setting up.

I made this suggestion earlier, but it looks like we're in a minority!

In a fast-paced, high energy, dynamic 4-3-3 with a bit of smart coaching from Frankie, Jody & Jonah there's every reason to believe he could.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

Vydra can't play as a sole striker. We saw that under Pearson & he openly admitted himself that he cannot play in that role. His best position is behind the striker, which we don't look to be using that system.

Right, first things first, Pearson didn’t play a system with a one man striker, he played some poo version of a 442 with butterfield on the wing which Messi would have struggled to play in. Secondly, Vydra admitted he couldn’t play in mcclarens 433 yes, but that system is entirely different to the false 9 that we looked to be setting up on Saturday. He can’t play the traditional role in mcclarens 433 no, which is more based on a pep possession system since he doesn’t have the strength. That’s not to say he couldn’t play in any form of 433 however, this new system will mean the striker is often deeper, dropping behind onrushing wingers and centre mids, with greater focus on one touch movement which is exactly what Vydra excels at.

It may not work but there’s no evidence it won’t, especially now he has his confidence back.

13 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

The same Pearson that had will hughes playing as a defensive midfielder and Butterfield wide left and a Bryson who wasn’t risked in a big cup game against Liverpool in case he got a yellow card and a guy who signed Anya for £4.5 million to create chances ! 

It was a bad dream wasn’t it !!!!! 

13 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

this new system will mean the striker is often deeper, dropping behind onrushing wingers and centre mids, with greater focus on one touch movement

If this is the case then it shows some lovely tactical smarts from Lampard - That should work best for Vydra and Nugent and there's no reason Martin couldn't play that - I'd worry with Jerome in that system though

Can't help thinking Bryson is key to that style of play too ?

Vydra worries me slightly. Not the fact we may sell him but the fact he seems to only be able to play position. Most forward players now can fulfil at least two roles as a forward, either centrally or on the wing. The only ones who don’t i.e. like Harry Kane or Lukaku are out and out centre forwards. Vydra cannot play up top on his own nor does he seem able to play on the wing. His only position seems to be off a main striker and 4-3-3 doesn’t allow god this. That being said I would only sell him if the money was right and I don’t think 11 million is. We should be demanding at least 15. He was the top scorer last season in a team that didn’t finish in the top two. I wouldn’t want to sell him but every player has a price.

If your Vyds now, you may well be taking a look at the new culture Lampard is bring to the club, seeing Wilson and Mount join, and actually just turn round and say "I am playing for the best Championship Club".

I would get moving to the Premier League and I could almost understand moving to another Champ team if it doubles your wage, but otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised to see him stay. He may just work his butt off to make sure he has a spot in whatever formation Lampard decides on.

42 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Vydra worries me slightly. Not the fact we may sell him but the fact he seems to only be able to play position. Most forward players now can fulfil at least two roles as a forward, either centrally or on the wing. The only ones who don’t i.e. like Harry Kane or Lukaku are out and out centre forwards. Vydra cannot play up top on his own nor does he seem able to play on the wing. His only position seems to be off a main striker and 4-3-3 doesn’t allow god this. That being said I would only sell him if the money was right and I don’t think 11 million is. We should be demanding at least 15. He was the top scorer last season in a team that didn’t finish in the top two. I wouldn’t want to sell him but every player has a price.

As you can probably tell by now, we don't have a bidding war which means if we have to get some funds in we have to sell for what's offered to us. Either that or don't sell and don't sign players

45 minutes ago, Warwick Ram said:

Further to that he's a bit of an odd duck even as a #10 in that he doesn't particularly create or help link play, he's like a poacher who starts deep. 

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Further to that he's a bit of an odd duck even as a #10 in that he doesn't particularly create or help link play, he's like a poacher who starts deep. 

Martin Peters

I am not ITK as such, but have it (indirectly) via another player at the club that Vydra has said he will only leave to go to a Premier League club, of course money talks but for him to want to leave it will probably take a very large salary offer.

Archived