If it’s Frank

archied
Message added by Day

If it is Frank  

620 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Doodle said:

Genuine question as I’m away on holiday and unable to keep up to date. Is there any firm news on Frank and who may be arriving with him if it’s him? 

So far Lampard was spotted at Wembley there at our request, Jody Morris has followed Derby on Twitter, Ed Dawes and Steve Nicholason followed Jody on Twitter, Morris and Lampard were spotted in a yet unknown service station on the M1, and Lampard and his father were seen having a tour of PP. 

Might as well get that Lampard and Morris statue built now 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

His stock was universally very high when he went to Valencia, that was my point. Your personal opinion is anecdotal really. 

He was a complete disaster at Valencia and in four months completely destroyed any prospect of a managerial career unless he drops to the lower leagues and works his way up.... which lets face it he is never going to do because he has a huge TV contract. 

Its worthy of mentioning because if Lampard has a disastrous four months at Derby and gets sacked, then the same will apply to him. He isn't going to go and manage Leyton Orient is he.... he'll just be a TV pundit. 

Do have to question the motivation of these super rich stars if stuff gets hard, when they know that they don't need the stress because they don't need the money. Its different for a Paul Heckingbottom, because if he walks away from management he's going to need to find something else to do.... and 60 hour weeks running a pub isn't going to be much easier. 

So I was correct on Neville, anecdotal or not!

If Lampard fails, then he fails, he can join the group of experienced ex-derby managers that have failed!

Can you guarantee me that the managers you've mentioned, lambert, McCarthy, Heckingbottom would be a success? 

2 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

So, if you’ve just driven past Trowel, I’d assume you’re travelling northbound, but Morris was travelling southbound, is Leicester one of those services that serve both north and southbound ? I know some are like that, ie don’t have separate facilities for both directions. ? 

I’m #ITK on service stations.

That picture was unmistakably Leicester Forest services, which is built above the motorway in order to serve both directions.

KFC and Burger King are somewhat controversially places side-by-side, and for some reason, there are two Starbucks.

Hope you appreciate me sharing this knowledge, I usually save it for first dates and dinner party conversations, but I wanted to help.

19 minutes ago, TheRealityIs said:

So far Lampard was spotted at Wembley there at our request, Jody Morris has followed Derby on Twitter, Ed Dawes and Steve Nicholason followed Jody on Twitter, Morris and Lampard were spotted in a yet unknown service station on the M1, and Lampard and his father were seen having a tour of PP. 

Might as well get that Lampard and Morris statue built now 

Thanks all I’ve seen is this 

33DEC564-F65E-4A94-8F35-B687041AB9D0.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Can you guarantee me that the managers you've mentioned, lambert, McCarthy, Heckingbottom would be a success? 

I've already said that Lampard is worth a punt, so don't know why I'm being asked this question.

1 minute ago, NorwichLad said:

I've already said that Lampard is worth a punt, so don't know why I'm being asked this question.

So lampard is worth a punt eh!

looks like everybody's happy, that's x amount of pages wasted ?

5 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

So lampard is worth a punt eh!

looks like everybody's happy, that's x amount of pages wasted ?

I said it about 5 times. 

Somebody like McCarthy is "low risk" but you'd be bored sh*tless. 

Got Tom Lawrence ticking though didn't he. 

This is all going to be an embarrassing anti-climax if you don't appoint Lampard isn't it? You all seem to think he's a dead cert, but Lampard or your chairman may not see it that way. 

11 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

I said it about 5 times. 

Somebody like McCarthy is "low risk" but you'd be bored sh*tless. 

Got Tom Lawrence ticking though didn't he. 

This is all going to be an embarrassing anti-climax if you don't appoint Lampard isn't it? You all seem to think he's a dead cert, but Lampard or your chairman may not see it that way. 

As you said lampard a worth a punt.

So everybody's happy then, glad we've sorted this pressing issue out! I'm sure it's been keeping the Norwich city faithful up at night

dr-house-rolling-eyes.gif

24 minutes ago, NorwichLad said:

Hey it’s Cockernees that use rhyming slang, not East Anglians as far as I’m aware.  I presume that’s your take on ‘Our Lamps’ with ‘worth a punt’ ? ? ?

20 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Is that what we're all hoping for, a new dawn. Or is it that we're all in the dark.

Definitely a new dawn. Was hoping for Smith or Warburton but we’ve had named, supposedly good championship managers and it’s come to naught. I am feeling good about Frank. It’s either going to be great or terrible, hopefully the former. I assume the reason it’s taken so long to sort out is Mel getting the contract nailed down with us having the option to bail out. I hope Frank is gone in 3 years, to be Chelsea manager. After he’s taken us to the promised land 

7 hours ago, NorwichLad said:

My point about AvB is that I said you'll have to be wary of Lampard just auditioning for the Chelsea job, and you said that they don't usually appoint inexperienced managers, and I've provided AvB as an example of a time when they did. His ability as a player is irrelevant in that context.

I've also said that Mick McCarthy or Paul Lambert are the type of managers you would need if it all goes wrong and you end up near the bottom of the table with Lampard. I'm not sure if you've taken the time to read my post carefully. 

As for whether Lampard is an "exciting appointment", I agree. But if it goes wrong you'll suddenly have an appetite for a safe pair of hands and will be adverse to people with no experience. He's worth a punt, but it is still a big gamble regardless. 

He might bring fresh ideas having learnt from a succession of great managers and absorbing their tactical knowledge and methods like a sponge, or he may have learnt nothing and have no idea how to get you playing... you just don't know. 

Just from perception I reckon Lampard is going to be one of those smart tactical managers who researches opponents and always has a game plan and a Plan B, but I think Steven Gerrard is going to be one of those charismatic and motivational managers who gets players really pulling together for him and he'll get 100% effort out of people and end up punching above their weight. 

Will be interesting to see whether either of the succeeds. If Derby appointed Gary Neville when Valencia appointed him you'd probably have got very excited about this tactical genius from the Class of 92 based on his television analysis. It took 4 months of him actually being in management to completely change public perception.

Complete poppycock you said great players dont make great managers then used AvB to compere to Lampard who never played football. 

Difference between him & lampard was one is a rally driver who lived in the same apartment blocl as bobby robson the other was one of the best midfielders england has ever produced 

AvB wasnt that inexperienced he had been at Porto’s backroom staff since 17 & Sir Bobby put him through his coaching badges at a similar age. He was also appointed Chelsea manager on the back of winning a treble & appointed manager on the back or some mourinho nostalgia.   

Ive read your post carefully & why would we turn to Paul Lambert if we are in a relegation fight? He has a history of clubs turning to him & them taking them down anyway. How he still gets a job is beyond belief 

Neville is different he went to a country where he doesnt even speak the language not an issue for frank at Derby

Jusr stinks of a Norwich fan mad jelly that were getting frank & your stuck with whoever and mid table ?

7 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

I can’t believe how many members from other clubs are posting now we’re in the limelight!

And I'm sure I can't be the only one that doesn't give a flying fart what any of them think - shame for them that their own clubs/lives are so dull that they feel the need to invade our forum to pass on their inane views....

Well this is dragging. Would love to be a fly on the wall in these negotiations. Maybe both playing hardball on a few things. If I was Frank I’d be trying to negotiate a 12-18 month grace period where I can’t be sacked or at least some guarantee of security, Mel obviously wouldn’t agree to that though unless he really really wants him. Not really sure where the balance of power sits in the negotiations as both have other options if they wanted.

As for the appointment, my choice was Lambert but if it is Frank he’ll have my full support. I agree with Steve Nicholson and Robbie Savage in that we’ve been down the tried and tested route and it hasn’t worked. Why not try something different. In the old days, ex-players often went straight into big management roles and did ok.

Who knows if he will be successful or not. However, from reading about him, he has all the attributes required to be successful. He will make mistakes but he strikes me as someone who has the capacity to learn from them and won’t have the fear to play safe. He’ll need luck, but I think he has as a good a chance as anyone to make it as a manager in the game.

hi all

I seem to remember reading somewhere that in the 1960s Derby took a punt on a young, inexperienced manager who had also played at the highest level, and indeed for England as well, can anyone please remind me how that turned out? ?

LR2

Archived