Elsnik

Waffle

I think bringing him in, along with more of our academy, will allow us to transition back to a passing game fairly seamlessly. 

We have Clough and Wassall to thank for that - they implemented a particular passing style there that seems to have been adhered to despite what is happening with the first team.

Playing alongside Huddlestone and a properly managed Thorne could be brilliant for youngsters like Elsnik and Guy.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

To me he reminds me of a mix of both Hendrick & Hughes, he has the physicality and powerful running of a Hebdrick but also a quality touch and pass with his left foot like Hughes. Similar style of player to a Tom Cairney the way he moves around the pitch.

I hoped he would've around the first team the season just gone so realky hoping he is in and amongst it next season.

Jesus are you his Mum?

Comparing to Hughes and Hendrick?

Bird, Guy and Elsnik are all better in our u23 team.

6 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

Then Phil Brown arrived and soon put a stop to that nonsense!

Aye, another reason to be glad that Rowett has gone IMO, I could only see him using Elsnik in the same manner as Brown did, if he ever fought his way past Hanson (far more of a Rowett player)

He might still not get the chance of course, depending on who/what type of manager we put in charge, but there was little hope for him with Rowett.

I've only seen elsnik play a on a couple of occasions  but I definitely like the look of him. He seems very confident in himself and his ability. He came in as a sub in the cup game when we had about 15 penalties, he took 2 if I remember rightly. Hanson will always have a place in my memory for that absolutely belting tackle on Osborn, classic!

7 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Just not impressed with the latest glimpses under Rowett and the 23s - fair amount of late clattering of opponents, not too much else. Would rather Guy or Vernon, I think.

That's a fair observation but maybe that's a young inexperienced player just doing whatever the manager asks in order to get in the team.

I remember his first few games where he looked to have a bit of skill about him. In particular his delivery from free kicks and corners was very good.

I agree he's lost his way, but perhaps that's because he's versatile enough to play adequately in multiple positions and that is stopping him developing well into one of them.

I honestly don't know what his best position is. 

4 minutes ago, ck- said:

That's a fair observation but maybe that's a young inexperienced player just doing whatever the manager asks in order to get in the team.

I remember his first few games where he looked to have a bit of skill about him. In particular his delivery from free kicks and corners was very good.

I agree he's lost his way, but perhaps that's because he's versatile enough to play adequately in multiple positions and that is stopping him developing well into one of them.

I honestly don't know what his best position is. 

Maybe so. I hope he makes a position his own - I've no wish to see a young player fail. 

9 hours ago, jono said:

I can’t really comment as I haven’t seen enough of the other two on the pitch. Do you go to a lot of under 23 games ? I think I need to go and have a look.

Well worth going to under 23 games, whether at St George's Park or Pride Park. I think Rams TV is great but you can't beat watching a game live, especially if you are wanting to follow certain players on and off the ball. There's usually a friendly crowd, too. It's a good, relaxed atmosphere.

On topic, I really rate Elsnik and think he has skill and physicality. Because he is basically an attacking midfielder, I just couldn't see where he would fit into a Rowett team. All that will change now, of course.

Guy is also good and I quite like Hanson too. Both are strong with free kicks and can put in a tackle or two! 

The big thing we need to do this summer is reduce the number of senior midfielders (and forwards) down by at least 2, ideally 3.

It would be good to find takers for Ledley & Butterfield, possibly loan Thorne out somewhere till Jan so that a senior 3 of say Bryson, THudd & Johnson is immediately backed up by the younger ones in Guy, Hanson & Elsnik.

12 hours ago, Carnero said:

The big thing we need to do this summer is reduce the number of senior midfielders (and forwards) down by at least 2, ideally 3.

It would be good to find takers for Ledley & Butterfield, possibly loan Thorne out somewhere till Jan so that a senior 3 of say Bryson, THudd & Johnson is immediately backed up by the younger ones in Guy, Hanson & Elsnik.

I’d say we need to keep Ledley, he is a calming influence in that midfield.

He and Tom Hudds can’t play together as the energy levels aren’t sufficient for the championship but I would keep him and rotate the two of them. 

Put some legs/ energetic young hungry players alongside the chosen one of the two and we are good IMHO ??

12 hours ago, Carnero said:

Shame about Ledley, I thought he did alright for us until he got injured.

Loaning out Thorne is a good idea, unless he can get a really good pre-season in with us.

If we can find any takers for Butters, paying £££, I'd take it. Failing that, out on loan again to hopefully cover his wages.

Definitely think we need to start using the likes of Elsnik, Guy etc this next season. Hopefully we can keep Thomas now that Roger's fooled off as well.

Anyone else getting a bit excited about how much of an impact Lampard and Jody Morris could have on youngsters like Elsnik? 

Could certainly see Timi, Callum Guy and Luke Thomas all thriving under our new managerial duo. Imagine being a midfielder and being told your new manager is one of the best midfielders in Premier League history ?

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Anyone else getting a bit excited about how much of an impact Lampard and Jody Morris could have on youngsters like Elsnik? 

Could certainly see Timi, Callum Guy and Luke Thomas all thriving under our new managerial duo. Imagine being a midfielder and being told your new manager is one of the best midfielders in Premier League history ?

The midfielder bit is a bonus - all youth players tend to thrive under big names, but the effect does wear off if they're not good coaches.

For an example, Gerrard's Liverpool U18s got weaker before he came in, as players stepped up or went out on loan, and his team finished as well (3rd) as the term before. Obviously, he's moved on before you can test his coaching credentials from that stint but they did climb their way out of a period of bad form, which is a big positive in that regard.

Jody Morris is clearly an excellent coach - his Chelsea U18s have experienced largely unparalleled dominance during his 4 years. Obviously, Chelsea's youth team has been expensively collected and is brimming with talent, but all football folk know that on-paper quality does not make success a certainty.

I said as soon as Lampard's name was mentioned that I wanted him purely because of the effect he would have on the youth, my confidence in that sentiment grew with news of Morris joining him. I am, personally, now of the opinion that if any of our youths do not grow into roles this season - then I've probably overestimated their quality.

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Yes.

Archived