Gary Rowett gone to Stoke

Mckram

3 minutes ago, Anon said:

Carlisle - 2 promotions in 3 years and an FL trophy final appearance.

PNE - 7th place in the Championship in his only full season.

You must be using a different definition of the word appalling to the one I know.

Whilst also going in after Billy Davies, so even more appreciation for that.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Resigned, think he quoted a distinct lack of support from the board

If I’m right in thinking wasn’t it a some sort of split with Murdo Mackay? Can remember it being messy...you know there was a time that Burley was seen as the future of management...

If Rowett chooses to leave then that would be very disappointing ( especially to nowhere like stoke) but opportunity strikes for someone to get it right. Yes it would be intresting to get the likes of Smith from Brentford but the one to take us through this coming difficult season could easily be mad mick Mc Carthy - two promotions on his cv - he won’t cost us a lot in wages - easy to sign - never lost at pride park ( please carry on if that is the case) - he knows how to get decent and cheap players having kept Ipswich up with no real difficulty and we could just give him a one year contract and see how he does - remember Jim Smith was an uninspiring appointment who achieved so much for us !

19 minutes ago, admira said:

Who was our last manager to leave by joining another club (rather than being fired?)

Have we ever had a manger join another club, without being sacked or resigning?

37 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

He hasn’t done anything yet. We haven’t a clue what’s actually happened. Probably nothing. So why has he got to defend himself from nothing?

And if he denied it, then the fans would still go all McClaren-Newcastley all over him because he hadn't denied it with bells on it while kneeling in front of the Clough and Taylor statue, pouring away out-of-date bottles of iPro while tearing pieces out of Staffordshire oatcakes and feeding them to the pigeons, so what difference would it make?

clarkeram7

My big concern is that there aren't many other managers out there I'd want.. 

Do we take a risk and appoint Stimac with Eranio as his number two? 

Do we go for experienced but a gamble on recent jobs: Holloway or Redknapp

Do we go for style and buying players from lower leagues and turning them into stars but no promotional credentials: Dean Smith 

Do we go proper old school and go for a Jim Smith style of plenty of links: Curbishley, Burley or McCarthy. 

If Rowett does go Mel should be straight on the phone to Wigan to ask permission to speak to Paul Cook. Three promotions at 3 different clubs in just 5 years, a 45.4% win ratio and likes his teams to play attackng football to feet. Sounds like the kind of manager we need.

2 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Do we go for style and buying players from lower leagues and turning them into stars but no promotional credentials: Dean Smith 

Do we go proper old school and go for a Jim Smith style of plenty of links: Curbishley, Burley or McCarthy. 

It'll be Paul Cook

2 minutes ago, clarkeram7 said:

Stimac's managerial record is the pits. I hate it when fans ask for him. He was a brilliant player in arguably our greatest era since the early 70s but as a manager he's uninspiring.

4 minutes ago, Jayram said:

If Rowett does go Mel should be straight on the phone to Wigan to ask permission to speak to Paul Cook. Three promotions at 3 different clubs in just 5 years, a 45.4% win ratio and likes his teams to play attackng football to feet. Sounds like the kind of manager we need.

No thanks. I still haven't forgiven him for his abysmal performance as manager of Accrington Stanley in 2012. I don't think i ever will.

15 minutes ago, Topram said:

Anyone else feel a little sick reading that Stoke paper thing about us wanting 2 million for him and a source close to Rowett things this season was our last chance?

Not really. I hated the whole 'splash the cash' ethos, so a few years of getting the house back into the sort of order Nigel Clough left it in would be a step in the right direction for me. That should come as no surprise, seeing as my favourite player at Derby this century has been Bucko.

4 minutes ago, Topram said:

Anyone else feel a little sick reading that Stoke paper thing about us wanting 2 million for him and a source close to Rowett things this season was our last chance?

Nah, all it takes is the right manager and a hungry team. We've had millions chucked at the squad to try and get promotion and it hasn't worked. During that period Norwich, Hull, Burnley and Huddersfield all went up while nearly breaking even for transfer fees the year of their promotion. For all the talk of Rowett working on a tight budget and having to cost cut, he still had an expensive squad full of experience and winners that crumbled once we got to 2nd

His most used team:

Carson (100k?)

Wisdom (2 mil) Keogh (1 mil) Davies (500k) Forsyth (150k)

Huddlestone (2 mil) Johnson (7 mil)

Weimann (3.5 mil) Vydra (8 mil) Lawrence (5 mil)

Nugent (2.5 mil)

So he still had a first 11 that cost around 32 million and it didn't work out. Maybe it'll do us good to sign some lower league players and some players from Scotland, add to that a manager wanting to prove himself and it might just work

5 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Stimac's managerial record is the pits. I hate it when fans ask for him. He was a brilliant player in arguably our greatest era since the early 70s but as a manager he's uninspiring.

100% agree.

Just because they played for us, so what? Can they manage is the question?

Look how man managers we have had who were ex-players in the last 25-years:

Rowett, Powell, Wassell, Todd, Gregory, McFarland, Rowett, McClaren.

Not too many rip-roaring successes there. McClaren did okay, but you have to go back to Mackay to find a real success.

Archived