Next season

loweman2

Having slept on the result last night and another two poor errors to give the goals away, and having been reasonably critical of Rowett's style of football, I am of the view that Gary has to change his style to suit a club that has genuine aspirations of being a force in the Championship. At Burton Albion even when doing well in league two they were seen as the small club punching above their weight, at Birmingham he had moved to a club that had nothing apart from an owner in clink and some average players and did well to get them organised enough to get to 8th (or wherever it was). 

My fear is that he has brought that mentality with him to Derby and not been brave enough; I hope he changes. I also hope that Mel or new investor puts pressure on him to be braver with his team. What he was describing that he wanted to do is exactly what I would like to see. Not the hopeful (and sometimes hopeless) punts into the corner for a big man to chase. The team hasn't got to be dismantled we have some excellent players who must be frustrated at the way they are being asked to play. I would ship out some of the old school like Keogh and Forsyth, In football people speak highly of his capabilities as a coach so c'mon Gary let's move forward into a new era for a braver manager and more positive team 

ps, if you don't I think you and the coaching staff will be looking for a new job by the end of November.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The only thing gary is blind too are his own faults.....blaming the team who he coached,managed and gave the tactics too is poor.

Very disappointed with him.

Me I’m a bit disappointed with him and a bit disappointed with some of the players but in fairness some aren’t good enough quality for promotion chasing team 

Not sure which thread to reply to so I'm going for this one!

I thought last night summed up our season really. An extremely solid defensive platform that even the best teams have struggled to break down. A couple of lapses of concentration from the players you expect to have them. A lack of clinicism, compsure and accuracy going forward. Players lost belief. Legs start to go. Fade to nothing.

None of it was surprising.

Reflecting on the season, Rowett has done enough to keep his job and get another summer rebuilding, but we have to see some players leave. Barring Carson and Davies, any of them can go for me. The last month has been incredibly important rebuilding unity and morale throughout the club and showing we can show some bottle when needed. We had a poor January transfer window which undermined us and the older legs caught up towards the end of the season in my view.

Looking forward, we have the foundations there. The question now is how to ship unwanted players out, bring in the players who have the ability to be accurate and make the right decisions and last a full 90 minutes. Weimann is fine but never makes the right call, Lawrence blows hot and cold, and our two strikers can't last a full match. Are Elsnik and Thomas the answer? The club need to listen to fans again on matchday stuff but continue encouraging the manager and squad to talk to the fans and get everyone working together.

A 6/10 season for me, the last month ensured I see it as an entertaining one, the 3 months before it were horrendous. Pre-Christmas, not much to get excited about, but we were winning. A very odd season for me.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

The only thing gary is blind too are his own faults.....blaming the team who he coached,managed and gave the tactics too is poor.

Very disappointed with him.

I think it's the small team attitude shown with the tactics that piss me off more than anything. No ambition what so ever.

I've never understood the use of a two defensive midfielder but to do it at home against teams we have encountered this season... Impossible to create an appropriate sentence how disappointing it is.

More of the same I fear.

Mediocre summer recruitment on a shoestring, funded by the sale of Vydra (except this time likely to a rival championship side)  

Incoming players don't fit the system or are ultimately hard workers without end product

Too many contracts extended beyond the end of next season

Tired legs

Some good runs and some bad spells, frustrating football, and in the end not nearly enough for automatic promotion

Discontented fans by October

Any better than that I'll be moderately happy.

Would be good to see Wisdom push on and Lawrence find his groove (possibly in the no. 10 spot)

Hope that we blood some youngsters along the way, would love to see Elsnik and Thomas break through and start making a name for themselves.

Worried we will struggle to score goals without Vydra - I think we may finish lower than 6th.

3 hours ago, GadFly said:

How much can we realistically expect to spend this summer? Any idea? 

Depends purely on who we sell I think.

Ignore Bent, Shackell & Baird going - we're over budget so that won't be freed up money.

Work on the basis of 3 players out for 2 in, and half in the bank/half for transfers on all deals

Maybe £10m pot if we sell Vydra and a few others. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

We improved from 10th to 6th this season whilst making a profit on transfer fees.

True but it is a bit short termisum at the moment. I think after next season we will be bringing through the academy players and I think a few will feature next season.

I'm not too down. 

Defensively we're sorted. 

We seem to have stumbled on a better formation so it is up to GR to buy the players to suit it. 

Need an energetic midfielder but otherwise we're ok in that department with Johnson, Hudds and Ledley.

Problems are up front. Apart from Vydra I'd replace the lot of them in the starting line up: Nugent and Weimann can go for me. Keep Jerome and Lawrence as backup, Jerome for what we know he can do and Lawrence until he can learn to do the basic stuff because somewhere in there looks like there ought to be a decent player. But none of them should be a regular first choice based on this season.

There's actually a decent base to build on. It just comes down to money and shipping out deadwood. 

The defence and Carson is in fairly decent shape, I'd like to see a young promising CB added.

Now to address where the problems lie, the midfield and ALL attacking positions! Hudds needs a mobile partner who can do some donkey work and link the midfield with the attack. 

Sadly vydra needs to be moved on if we get a good offer, no point having a player like that sat on the bench when you need money to strengthen. Maybe Lawrence can improve in that no10? Cam jam is a decent rotation option for one more season as is Weimann.

if money for vyds comes in then we need to get in two wingers and a main striker as bare minimum and they need to be quality with an emphasis on youth/potential.

if vydra stays then there are no other saleable assets in the side (which is a bit worrying) and there won't be much room/budget for change.

Tough summer ahead for GR!

6 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

There's actually a decent base to build on. It just comes down to money and shipping out deadwood. 

The defence and Carson is in fairly decent shape, I'd like to see a young promising CB added.

Now to address where the problems lie, the midfield and ALL attacking positions! Hudds needs a mobile partner who can do some donkey work and link the midfield with the attack. 

Sadly vydra needs to be moved on if we get a good offer, no point having a player like that sat on the bench when you need money to strengthen. Maybe Lawrence can improve in that no10? Cam jam is a decent rotation option for one more season as is Weimann.

if money for vyds comes in then we need to get in two wingers and a main striker as bare minimum and they need to be quality with an emphasis on youth/potential.

if vydra stays then there are no other saleable assets in the side (which is a bit worrying) and there won't be much room/budget for change.

Tough summer ahead for GR!

The problem is, even youthful players that can make an impact aren't cheap nowadays, even from Leagues 1&2.  If we were to get fair market value for Vydra, say £15m.  You've got to bring in, and cover the wages of a combative midfielder, two good wingers and a good striker.  4 players at an average of £3.75m.  I'll remind you that Tom 'Mr Consistancy' Lawrence cost twice that.  GR has got a ball-bustingly tough summer.  And all thanks to Mel, Clement & Evans paying stupid money for dross three summers ago...

2 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

The problem is, even youthful players that can make an impact aren't cheap nowadays, even from Leagues 1&2.  If we were to get fair market value for Vydra, say £15m.  You've got to bring in, and cover the wages of a combative midfielder, two good wingers and a good striker.  4 players at an average of £3.75m.  I'll remind you that Tom 'Mr Consistancy' Lawrence cost twice that.  GR has got a ball-bustingly tough summer.  And all thanks to Mel, Clement & Evans paying stupid money for dross three summers ago...

Very true, but not impossible. 

we don't have to shop in the English market and there are hidden gems around that may not be pulling up any trees at present but could be transformed by a move. There's also the loan market which we have used well in the past and other clubs rely on. 

I should also clarify my young talent comment. By young talent I mean players younger than 27!

Another season where I just want this squad ripping up and starting from scratch.

So many average players its unreal. Why Forsyth, Pearce, Thorne and Hanson got handed new contracts I'll never know. If the future revolves around those then just give up already, because they simply are not good enough.

We've gone full circle and it feels like we are back to the Clough days, a era which bored me rotten and got us absolutely nowhere until Mac came in.

Martin and Bryson coming back will give people belief we'll turn into 2013/14 side again. Not going to happen.

The only player i'd be arsed about leaving is Scott Carson. Good age still for a keeper, still improving and actually seem's like he enjoys it here.The rest looked bored stiff at the club, high earners, old or simply dogshite.

7 minutes ago, Papahet said:

Another season where I just want this squad ripping up and starting from scratch.

So many average players its unreal. Why Forsyth, Pearce, Thorne and Hanson got handed new contracts I'll never know. If the future revolves around those then just give up already, because they simply are not good enough.

We've gone full circle and it feels like we are back to the Clough days, a era which bored me rotten and got us absolutely nowhere until Mac came in.

Martin and Bryson coming back will give people belief we'll turn into 2013/14 side again. Not going to happen.

The only player i'd be arsed about leaving is Scott Carson. Good age still for a keeper, still improving and actually seem's like he enjoys it here.The rest looked bored stiff at the club, high earners, old or simply dogshite.

Erm... we never even finished anywhere near 6th under clough. And why would a rip up a squad that finished 6th? We are the 6th best team in the CC at the minute, thats a fact. What we need is a better front 3 and maybe a more mobile CM and a LB. But the spine of our squad is fine

5 minutes ago, dcfcfan1 said:

Erm... we never even finished anywhere near 6th under clough. And why would a rip up a squad that finished 6th? We are the 6th best team in the CC at the minute, thats a fact. What we need is a better front 3 and maybe a more mobile CM and a LB. But the spine of our squad is fine

The side is a million miles off where it needs to be, the only reason we finished 6th is because the league is so poor this year. Millwall and Preston pushing for the play offs and Burton narrowly avoiding relegation is evidence of that surely. It would get absolutely destroyed if it went up, we are nowhere near ready.

There's too many aging players whose legs are bound to go either next season or the year after. As good as Davies and Huddlestone have been, they are not the future. They both looked leggy, ditto Jerome and Nugent.

It's needs exciting youth, look at how many under 26's Fulham have in that squad. All exciting, energetic talent. Who do we have? Just old, slow cloggers who have one way of playing and tire after a hour.

19 minutes ago, Papahet said:

The side is a million miles off where it needs to be, the only reason we finished 6th is because the league is so poor this year. Millwall and Preston pushing for the play offs and Burton narrowly avoiding relegation is evidence of that surely. It would get absolutely destroyed if it went up, we are nowhere near ready.

There's too many aging players whose legs are bound to go either next season or the year after. As good as Davies and Huddlestone have been, they are not the future. They both looked leggy, ditto Jerome and Nugent.

It's needs exciting youth, look at how many under 26's Fulham have in that squad. All exciting, energetic talent. Who do we have? Just old, slow cloggers who have one way of playing and tire after a hour.

Couldnt care less about what happens if we go up. I want to go up next season AT ALL COSTS. They arent the future , but they are the present (next season). 

League will be just as poor if not even worse next season. Cant see the promoted teams doing as well as sheffield utd did and the relegated teams wont run away with the league. Plus no team will spend lots like Wolves. 

1 hour ago, Ramarena said:

Very true, but not impossible. 

we don't have to shop in the English market and there are hidden gems around that may not be pulling up any trees at present but could be transformed by a move. There's also the loan market which we have used well in the past and other clubs rely on. 

I should also clarify my young talent comment. By young talent I mean players younger than 27!

And what makes you think our scouting department extends any further that the English Channel ?

Archived