NFL 2018 Season

r4derby

4 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

All the early front runners having a wobble. 

Teams with good defense always take longer to start dominating, as you have to have seen your opposition's plays to prepare for them properly.

With the 'Boys I'd be worried about Dak's play - he makes some bizarre decisions. You only need to be slightly worse on defense than usual for that to get punished - as it almost did against a properly average Eagles team.

I'm higher on the Bears in terms of a defensive powerhouse, but I think the 'Boys are better than the Ravens.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Of all the upsets that occurred, that was the only one I called - cos I genuinely think the Bears are a better team than the Rams (and, probably, the Saints).

If you can get in front of them, I don’t think they are that great on offence and would struggle...getting in front though, not so easy ?

Just now, jimbo jones said:

If you can get in front of them, I don’t think they are that great on offence and would struggle...getting in front though, not so easy ?

I will say, Mitch Trubisky would struggle to get his scrambles in against us - our entire D-line and linebacker corps are fast guys. 

But that being said, it seems our offense only has two settings - on or off. If its on, we go hard - if its off, we just 3-and-out continuously. There seems to be no middle ground.

Off against Boys, off against Buccs for the first half, then the Taysom Hill blocked punt turned it back on and we dominate for the rest of the game.

Saints saving grace atm is our defense has been properly awesome for like 4 or 5 games now.

On another note - Mark Sanchez IMMEDIATELY losing the starting gig to AAFL QB Josh Johnson is such a huge nail in his coffin. Josh Johnson didn't look bad, but I worry about him against a strong Jags defense next week.

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

On another note - Mark Sanchez IMMEDIATELY losing the starting gig to AAFL QB Josh Johnson is such a huge nail in his coffin. Josh Johnson didn't look bad, but I worry about him against a strong Jags defense next week.

Redskins, Eagles & Panthers woes are such good news for us, even if we lose tonight we’d still have a wild card spot ???‍♂️

Just now, jimbo jones said:

Redskins, Eagles & Panthers woes are such good news for us, even if we lose tonight we’d still have a wild card spot ???‍♂️

Bad Panthers teams have history of beating good Saints teams, just to warn you.

49 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Teams with good defense always take longer to start dominating, as you have to have seen your opposition's plays to prepare for them properly.

With the 'Boys I'd be worried about Dak's play - he makes some bizarre decisions. You only need to be slightly worse on defense than usual for that to get punished - as it almost did against a properly average Eagles team.

I'm higher on the Bears in terms of a defensive powerhouse, but I think the 'Boys are better than the Ravens.

Yeah that’s true. Us and the Ravens looked done 5 games ago, both been on decent runs since. They were unlucky to lose last night. 

Same old Dak really isn’t it. Capable of some great plays but equally will put us in the poo with some of the decisions he makes. The play calling is still an issue too which is exposing him even more, 2nd best back in the league and we’re reluctant to use him at both ends. At least Dak and Amari Cooper seem to have a really good understanding, that partnership is winning us games at the moment. 

Big blow to lose Zach Martin but thankfully it doesn’t look as bad as first feared. If we’re going to have any chance in the PO’s (assuming we make them) we’ll need him. 

5 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Surely not twice though ?

panthers shouldn’t be bad though, I really think Cam’s shoulder is a bigger problem than they’ve been letting on.

I think their biggest issue is a lack of receivers. They're in a similar boat as the Saints regarding their WR depth, but they don't have a Michael Thomas. Olsson being out / not 100% is such a huge blow for them.

I hoping to do the double over them, but that would mean we'd finish the season 5-0 over the Panthers over the last two seasons. Which just seems unlikely from a Saint's fan perspective ? 

You'd hope we can beat them in the dome - but Luke Kuechly understands our offense better than any other defensive player in the NFL. He's always on point. Secondary is poor though, so fingers crossed we can capitalise.

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Yeah that’s true. Us and the Ravens looked done 5 games ago, both been on decent runs since. They were unlucky to lose last night. 

Same old Dak really isn’t it. Capable of some great plays but equally will put us in the poo with some of the decisions he makes. The play calling is still an issue too which is exposing him even more, 2nd best back in the league and we’re reluctant to use him at both ends. At least Dak and Amari Cooper seem to have a really good understanding, that partnership is winning us games at the moment. 

Big blow to lose Zach Martin but thankfully it doesn’t look as bad as first feared. If we’re going to have any chance in the PO’s (assuming we make them) we’ll need him. 

I'd be very surprised if you didn't make them now. 

Cowboys just need to keep their use of Amari Cooper fresh - he's had a few games as the new weapon being used in new ways and teams being unable to prepare properly - that'll change moving forward. 

Since he came in, Elliot's barely being used as you say - Cooper's basically your only major weapon. If he gets shut down in a game with your current gameplans I find it hard to see where your yardage comes from.

Just now, AmericanRam said:

Sigh.

lwfxBG0L7EKSDTw7m_KEzw

I feel for you, AR.

Alex Smith's injury is properly heinous. The sort of thing that derails franchise's for a long time.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

I feel for you, AR.

Alex Smith's injury is properly heinous. The sort of thing that derails franchise's for a long time.

Screw the Redskins.  Their owner and front office would rather abandon any hopes of the play offs than gamble on a half decent QB in Kapernick.  Putting all political views, and fan backlash aside, you send out your team to win, and go as far in a competition as you can.  They're betraying the sport by basically downing tools...  Admittedly, it's not like Kap could've helped with the gargantuan holes in their defense, but surely he'd have kept the game close.  And subsequently could haul them into the play offs.

How'd you feel if we lost Marriott, Nugent & Waghorn whilst sitting 3 points off an auto spot in January and replacing them with a loan signing of MaCauley Boone from Leyton Orient & Michael Owen on a free??

22 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Screw the Redskins.  Their owner and front office would rather abandon any hopes of the play offs than gamble on a half decent QB in Kapernick.  Putting all political views, and fan backlash aside, you send out your team to win, and go as far in a competition as you can.  They're betraying the sport by basically downing tools...  Admittedly, it's not like Kap could've helped with the gargantuan holes in their defense, but surely he'd have kept the game close.  And subsequently could haul them into the play offs.

How'd you feel if we lost Marriott, Nugent & Waghorn whilst sitting 3 points off an auto spot in January and replacing them with a loan signing of MaCauley Boone from Leyton Orient & Michael Owen on a free??

I mean, I really have no opinion on the Redskins or their decision making. I couldn't care less who they sign, don't sign or what their mentality is.

I'm simply acknowledging that losing a good QB to a potentially career ending injury is a really raw deal for a fan of that team.

58 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Nearly 2 years since Kaepernick last played now....he’d be the Michael Owen signing. That boats sailed now whatever your opinions on it are, he won’t play again.

more importantly who’s this MaCAuley Boone fella and is he any good?

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I'd be very surprised if you didn't make them now. 

Cowboys just need to keep their use of Amari Cooper fresh - he's had a few games as the new weapon being used in new ways and teams being unable to prepare properly - that'll change moving forward. 

Since he came in, Elliot's barely being used as you say - Cooper's basically your only major weapon. If he gets shut down in a game with your current gameplans I find it hard to see where your yardage comes from.

Whilst I don’t think we’re using Zeek as much as we should in the RZ and when on our own goal line he’s still putting up good numbers, just shy of 200 scrimmage yards this week with nothing to show for it. 

Thats the scary thing about it all for me, we’ve got a guy who’s that good and he’s not being utilised in certain areas. We’re taking risks with a QB who’s not great in the RZ time and time again. Run the ball man.  

An interesting few weeks left to go. I’d love to see Baker Mayfield and the Browns make the PO’s but they’ve got too much left to do. Really enjoyed watching them turn their fortunes around (albeit with the help of a couple of first rounders and some good trade pickups). 

2 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Whilst I don’t think we’re using Zeek as much as we should in the RZ and when on our own goal line he’s still putting up good numbers, just shy of 200 scrimmage yards this week with nothing to show for it. 

Thats the scary thing about it all for me, we’ve got a guy who’s that good and he’s not being utilised in certain areas. We’re taking risks with a QB who’s not great in the RZ time and time again. Run the ball man.  

An interesting few weeks left to go. I’d love to see Baker Mayfield and the Browns make the PO’s but they’ve got too much left to do. Really enjoyed watching them turn their fortunes around (albeit with the help of a couple of first rounders and some good trade pickups). 

The Browns are, at the very least, a fun team to watch - and that's a huge step. The first time that's ever been true in my years watching the NFL.

They FINALLY got a QB pick right, it seems.

They have a ton of cap space too - they could definitely make some plays in free agency and trading between seasons.

3 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Nearly 2 years since Kaepernick last played now....he’d be the Michael Owen signing. That boats sailed now whatever your opinions on it are, he won’t play again.

more importantly who’s this MaCAuley Boone fella and is he any good?

He was awesome for me on an Orient save on FM18, 60 goals over 3 successive promotion seasons.  Alas, without my stellar coaching skills, he hasn't been able to hit those heights in real life...

I did my best to stay up for the Rams game, although it did get to the point where I thought 'one more stupid decision and I'm off to sleep' - this was about 2 seconds before we got picked. I said in my head that I would let it slide as it didn't count. We won the ball back, immediately I think, then we got picked again. I went to sleep. 

I can't say much for Rams of years gone by, but definitely one of the worst performances I've seen in the games I've watched this season. At times Bears were dedicating three man coverage on Donald, I'm no expert but surely that should be enough to see the others step up? I don't know. It just seemed weak - men against bears! 

32 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I did my best to stay up for the Rams game, although it did get to the point where I thought 'one more stupid decision and I'm off to sleep' - this was about 2 seconds before we got picked. I said in my head that I would let it slide as it didn't count. We won the ball back, immediately I think, then we got picked again. I went to sleep. 

I can't say much for Rams of years gone by, but definitely one of the worst performances I've seen in the games I've watched this season. At times Bears were dedicating three man coverage on Donald, I'm no expert but surely that should be enough to see the others step up? I don't know. It just seemed weak - men against bears! 

That’s the worst we have played in a few years... better to play like that now than in the playoffs though! Every team has an off day, when I started following them it was like that every week!

Archived