NFL 2018 Season

r4derby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/12/2018 at 06:02, SaintRam said:

Last 3 weeks (I think?) have games flexxed to Saturday for national viewing in the USA. Cos late-season, more games have impact on everyone so there's more potential viewers, so they want more national slots than Thu night, Sunday lunch, Sunday night, Monday night.

There were no Saturday games prior to yesterday. And yes, it's because the college season has ended. There's an unwritten rule that they don't compete with one another.

The Sunday night games are fixed in stone until week 8, then they can be flexed. However, CBS and Fox can protect (I think) one game that then cannot be flexed, which is why you don't always get the best game.

On 13/12/2018 at 07:42, SaintRam said:

Just chatting with my friend about these - I think Rams will be in Mexico again as that's where they were supposed to be this year.

Jags will be one of the spurs games, you'd imagine.

I'm hoping for Chargers v Saints or Raiders v Saints at Wembley (Buccs/Saints cant happen) cos my mate'll get me a ticket ? 

Also, Rivers and Brees are good friends so that would be a good matchup to watch.

Rams fans definitely think they will be back to Mexico. Having said that, I know two people who were already in Mexico City when the game was moved back!

On 14/12/2018 at 12:47, SaintRam said:

This is what happens when all your officials are working second jobs with minimal training. 

You should see the officiating in college games.

They have a lot more than minimal training.

But yeh, by and large the fact that they work second jobs isn't ideal.

I heard somebody asking Pat Kirwin why the NFL didn't just pay them more money so they could quit their day jobs and make this their primary responsibility. he said there was a handful who had super high paying jobs in the several hundreds of thousands.

I get that, but the NFL is so ducking wealthy, they should be bringing in 30-year-olds now and rigorously training them to make this a career.

6 hours ago, jimbo jones said:

Browns win again!

If they hadn't been hosed with that call against the Raiders and eeked out that tied game against the Steelers, they'd be top of the AFC North!

I don't have a second team per se, but I have a soft spot for the Browns as I have family in Cleveland. It's a real football town to. Reminds me of Newcastle or Derby ?

Randomly discovered another NFL fan at work yesterday. Only been working with the bloke for 6 years and had no clue he liked his American football. 

Unfortunately a Patriots fan ? which at least is better than Packers...he’s followed them since the 80s, a long time before they were any good. Apparently they had an English kicker, the reason he decided to support them. I forgot the name.

46 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

Randomly discovered another NFL fan at work yesterday. Only been working with the bloke for 6 years and had no clue he liked his American football. 

Unfortunately a Patriots fan ? which at least is better than Packers...he’s followed them since the 80s, a long time before they were any good. Apparently they had an English kicker, the reason he decided to support them. I forgot the name.

90% sure they never had a British kicker. The only one I have ever heard of was Mick Luckhurst who played (I think) all his career with the Falcons. He was playing in the 80's too.

On 23/09/2018 at 08:59, David said:

Rise n shine @SaintRam ?

fullsizeoutput_87c.jpeg

Quick story.

In the summer I consulted with Scott, I needed a team to get behind and he went through the options and I settled on the Texans, bought a cap even. If you remember I started a thread asking how you landed on your American teams. 

As a few weeks passed, following all the social media accounts, it just wasn't clicking and I was looking around at my options before things got serious.

First game, Falcons were on TV, absolutely love their branding (even with the red thing going on) and stadium, also love the way they choked it against the Patriots in the Super Bowl which was the first NFL game I sat through the entire thing. Very Derby County. They lost at the Eagles, again a very Derby County thing to do bottle the first game of the season and losing a bunch of players too injury. Feels right.

Decision was final. 

Last week whilst browsing the NFL app, missus asks what I want for Xmas, get me a Julio Jones Falcons jersey I said without thinking much, next day she sends me a screenshot of this purchase, a £25 bargain on eBay apparently brand new. I had to Google who Roddy White was as usually shirts that go into the sale are after they have beaten their girlfriends. It's safe, he's a hall of famer, just an old shirt. 

It's a lame way of getting behind a team, but then again so was pretty much everyones in the thread I made that time, doesn't get much more nerdy than met a bloke on a video game ?

Bring on the ?

#RiseUp

Worst Christmas present ever.

Hope she kept the receipt.

That was more like the Vikings. Great start, get ahead. Dolphins came back a bit but then finish strong.

Running the ball to open the passing game. Even a 70 yard kick return, which has not been seen in a long while. Dan Bailey not fluffing any kicks as well.

i do love watching our D just hammer a qb like they did Tannehill, it’s a thing of beauty ?

Archived