NFL 2018 Season

r4derby

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Yeah we did well overall. Incapable of pulling away but I think that’s just how it’s going to be this year, nail biting to the end. Both O’s shut out in either half so obviously a good couple of Defenses. 

Unlike Brees at the end there, I won’t complain though! Hopefully he finds his mojo again next week, preferably with his mate Thomas as he’s scored me nada this week in another league.

Big win with Philly and Washington playing each other this week, one of them will go 6-6 so to go 7-5 in a game we didn’t expect a win in is big. 

Officiating was well below par, haven’t seen a performance as bad as that for a while. 

I've watched college games (that, on the whole, have famously poor officiating) that had better calls than that game. The most egregious error was probably the ignored helmet-to-helmet targeting on Kamara in the 3rd;  but the missed OPI on the Saints TD, the bizarre offside on Dallas where the flag was thrown a good 5 seconds into the play (after Brees fumbled) and the Mike Thomas catch called no catch and then not reversed are all towards the bottom rung of calls I've seen this season.

Not to mention all the minor errors, there was close to one bad call a play!

My friends and I were chatting throughout the whole game, and that game fit a formula for the Saints offense that happens like clockwork.

We all said as the 3rd started that this game was going to end up with Brees getting the ball with a chance to win, everyone to be sure he's going to do so, and then he'll turnover the ball within the first 6 plays. Turns out it was in the first 2, but it still fits with the formula. We have a game like that in every season where we're a competent team.

3 minutes ago, David said:

FE21E7C2-A930-4203-8B6A-3630BD14B0AB.gif

You should read it again. 

Making excuses would be suggesting the bad calls favoured Dallas, which I didn't - our TD came via Offensive Pass Interference which wasn't called. Should have been 3-13. 

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

You should read it again. 

Making excuses would be suggesting the bad calls favoured Dallas, which I didn't - our TD came via Offensive Pass Interference which wasn't called. Should have been 3-13. 

"The most egregious error was probably the ignored helmet-to-helmet targeting on Kamara in the 3rd;  but the missed OPI on the Saints TD"

10 minutes ago, David said:

"The most egregious error was probably the ignored helmet-to-helmet targeting on Kamara in the 3rd;  but the missed OPI on the Saints TD"

Missing helmet-to-helmet is an egregious officiating error - it's blatantly obvious and really dangerous (not to mention something the league said they were focusing on and clamping down on this season) - but it didn't affect our drive at all, as I believe they roughed the Punter on the next play, so it didn't change the game. It was just shocking officiating.

The second part of that quote is what I'm talking about in my first response to you, where we scored a TD while committing a foul and it wasn't called. OPI is offensive pass interference. That one worked in our favour.

13 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Missing helmet-to-helmet is an egregious officiating error - it's blatantly obvious and really dangerous (not to mention something the league said they were focusing on and clamping down on this season) - but it didn't affect our drive at all, as I believe they roughed the Punter on the next play, so it didn't change the game. It was just shocking officiating.

The second part of that quote is what I'm talking about in my first response to you, where we scored a TD while committing a foul and it wasn't called. OPI is offensive pass interference. That one worked in our favour.

I was looking at the helmet stuff, just left the full sentence in. Didn't watch, have to take your word for it, but sounds like excuses for only scoring 10 against the Cowboys ?

1 minute ago, David said:

I was looking at the helmet stuff, just left the full sentence in. Didn't watch, have to take your word for it, but sounds like excuses for only scoring 10 against the Cowboys ?

Then you're missing the point but its whatever. Officials didn't stop us playing, they just made bad calls.

As I said, we should have scored 3, certainly did not deserve 10. Our Defense played well, mind. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

Then you're missing the point but its whatever. Officials didn't stop us playing, they just made bad calls.

As I said, we should have scored 3, certainly did not deserve 10. Our Defense played well, mind. 

Right, but if they called them for lowering helmets on 3rd downs the Cowboys would receive 15 yard penalties which would move you further up the field and scoring opportunities 

Just now, David said:

Right, but if they called them for lowering helmets on 3rd downs the Cowboys would receive 15 yard penalties which would move you further up the field and scoring opportunities 

I might be mis-remembering, but I think that's the drive we scored on anyway. It was 3am ? 

But even if it wasn't, while normally I would agree, I think if you replay that game and make all of the dubious decisions in favour of the Saints, we'd still struggle to win. Our offense wasn't on the same page at all last night.

So I'm certainly not approaching it from the perspective of "if that gets called, its a different game"; just from the perspective of "those officials basically did nothing right". ? 

10 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I might be mis-remembering, but I think that's the drive we scored on anyway. It was 3am ? 

But even if it wasn't, while normally I would agree, I think if you replay that game and make all of the dubious decisions in favour of the Saints, we'd still struggle to win. Our offense wasn't on the same page at all last night.

So I'm certainly not approaching it from the perspective of "if that gets called, its a different game"; just from the perspective of "those officials basically did nothing right". ? 

I’m still calling excuses, only because it irritates you as you don’t want to be seen as a sore loser

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I've watched college games (that, on the whole, have famously poor officiating) that had better calls than that game. The most egregious error was probably the ignored helmet-to-helmet targeting on Kamara in the 3rd;  but the missed OPI on the Saints TD, the bizarre offside on Dallas where the flag was thrown a good 5 seconds into the play (after Brees fumbled) and the Mike Thomas catch called no catch and then not reversed are all towards the bottom rung of calls I've seen this season.

Not to mention all the minor errors, there was close to one bad call a play!

My friends and I were chatting throughout the whole game, and that game fit a formula for the Saints offense that happens like clockwork.

We all said as the 3rd started that this game was going to end up with Brees getting the ball with a chance to win, everyone to be sure he's going to do so, and then he'll turnover the ball within the first 6 plays. Turns out it was in the first 2, but it still fits with the formula. We have a game like that in every season where we're a competent team.

The officiating was horrible, but it went both ways. The helmet hit was bad, but the facemask they missed on Dak just before the one they gave almost ripped his head off.

The Saints didn't lose because of bad officiating, they lost because their O line had no answer to the Dallas D and Brees had an off night.

I think Mahomes just got handed the MVP though.

1 minute ago, Bob The Badger said:

The officiating was horrible, but it went both ways. The helmet hit was bad, but the facemask they missed on Dak just before the one they gave almost ripped his head off.

The Saints didn't lose because of bad officiating, they lost because their O line had no answer to the Dallas D and Brees had an off night.

I think Mahomes just got handed the MVP though.

Not sure on the MVP front - he's capable of off games too. If he doesn't have one though I agree.

On the officiating, my points exactly.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Not sure on the MVP front - he's capable of off games too. If he doesn't have one though I agree.

On the officiating, my points exactly.

I'm absolutely sure Mahomes has the ability to have off days, but he aint had one yet.

The Rams, or more accurately Aaron Donald, had him rattled big time in the last quarter, but he was still making some excellent throws.

Brees has real trouble with pressure up the middle because of his relative lack of height and not being able to see over the top of closing linemen. If you ignore the penalties that should really have cost them the game, the Dallas D played almost the perfect game.

A Rams v Saints play off game would be fascinating because there's not a kippers dick between them imho.

38 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

Brees has real trouble with pressure up the middle because of his relative lack of height and not being able to see over the top of closing linemen. 

He’s an old man now as well, shrinkage will have kicked in, stairlift companies will be sounding him out to be the face of their advertising campaigns. He looks older for his age as well, if you passed him on the street I would maybe say late 40s, where as Tom Brady has a bit of Tom Cruise about him where he carries his age well.

27 minutes ago, David said:

He’s an old man now as well, shrinkage will have kicked in, stairlift companies will be sounding him out to be the face of their advertising campaigns. He looks older for his age as well, if you passed him on the street I would maybe say late 40s, where as Tom Brady has a bit of Tom Cruise about him where he carries his age well.

Not far off him age wise are you? ?

Archived