Rams Reflections: Does style matter?

Gritty

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not wedded to any particular style for Derby.

Just while we're in this league, playing against opponents at our true level, we should be on the front foot from the off.

Not sitting back and countering, not playing aimless balls into the channels that we're ill equipped to do much with.

If the manager wants to play that way, fair enough, but we didn't have the squad makeup to play that way when he arrived, and we're little closer now after more than a season in charge imo.

This has been a transitional season, but that's only because the manager has chosen to take that path.

Next season we'll probably be closer to how Gary wants us to be, and more successful.

I'm just not convinced it's the way forward.

I don't mind us playing a style that isn't pretty.I just mind a team that requires an opponent to do something before we can play our style.

We're a reactive team. 

It was the same for Karanka at Boro and Derby under Rowett are similar. They're waiting to pick up on errors and when they're 1-0 down they've not really planned a way to score.

Cardiff was one of the rare games that Derby have gone down and actually looked like a team that had attacking ideas. But I also thought Cardiff were incredibly wasteful on the ball and were trying to avoid defeat. That's the Warnock style. 

It's not that it doesn't work. I just think it's a style that gets found out as soon as the level of opponent is increased. When it all becomes a bit unfair. You're asking for better teams/players to make errors for you to expose and at some point you'll hit a ceiling. 

I mean even Stoke City under Pulis had a very clear method of how to construct attacks. 

Not really felt that with Derby. Just lots of defending and finger crossing free will for the 4 man designated attack squad. 

When I am in Paris, I love to look at the paintings in the Louvre. I like the Eiffel Tower too, but not for the paintwork.

2 minutes ago, eddie said:

When I am in Paris, I love to look at the paintings in the Louvre. I like the Eiffel Tower too, but not for the paintwork.

It's rivetting, ain't it?

6 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

It's rivetting, ain't it?

Victor Lustig sold it. Twice.

Incidentally, during cold weather, it shrinks six inches.

I know that feeling.

8 minutes ago, eddie said:

Victor Lustig sold it. Twice.

Incidentally, during cold weather, it shrinks six inches.

I know that feeling.

I had to look that up (Victor not the other admission). What a great story. Poor old Mr Poisson; sold a dud. If Victor was still alive, he’d have a field day as an agent selling us players.

8 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Great comparison to a team that has played in 2 Champions League finals and close to being in a Europa League final, all as recent as our last play-off final.

So its successful then is what you’re saying? This time next year Rodney..... ? 

Personally I want primarily to be entertained. Even during our good run up to the new year I didn't go home buzzing with excitement. That is why I so nearly did not renew. 

I don't agree with those who describe any pass over 10yards (9.1 mtrs) as hoofball. there have been loads of games on TV recently where long balls have resulted in a goal or opening up the game for some excitement.

As the actress said: "Get it in the box now,lad"

Jim Smith years.. Happy days.

Mac 1 years.. Happy days.

Nigel Clough years.. No thank you.

Rowett year.. No thank you.

We didnt win anything with any particular style but I know what I am happy to part with my money for. Football needs to understand it is forcing its traditional die hard supporters away. They don't want us, they want families and face painters now. That's fine but you wont get the loyalty from them. If the entertainment is not there, people simply won't go. It's evolving away from a traditional working class persuit now and the fan bases will become much more fluid. So the clubs will have to provide something for people to get excited about. When i was a saucepan lid there was not much else going on. Nowadays, people have numerous choices on how they spend their leisure time. Clubs, the FA are arrogant and belive we will come whatever is served up. Give it another 10 years and they are going to have a shock with empty stadiums in my opinion.

Style matters now, we have seen crowds dwindle if the 'product' is poor. The businesses cannot sustain that for too long. Those empty seats have a knock on effect with marketing, merchandise, advertising, attracting off the pitch talent. Just winning badly is not enough.. DCFC 2017/18 has proved that. For some it will be but those people are becoming less and less.

It does to me. 

I don't want or expect Barca 2009 tiki taka. Nor do I even expect the free flowing stuff we've been spoiled with at times in recent years. I just don't really like watching how poor we look after the ball, I think it hinders us. Our (few) flair players look poorer than they should, purely because they're constantly chasing lost causes, receiving the ball in the wrong areas, getting no support. 

This season would have been absolutely brilliant if I hadn't watched any of it, as it turns out it's been a good season but not easy on the eye. Frustrating performances, great results. Or very good results actually, Burton and Sunderland can't be forgotten. 

Archived