Rams Reflections: Does style matter?

Gritty

22 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Jim Smith years.. Happy days.

Mac 1 years.. Happy days.

Nigel Clough years.. No thank you.

Rowett year.. No thank you.

We didnt win anything with any particular style but I know what I am happy to part with my money for. Football needs to understand it is forcing its traditional die hard supporters away. They don't want us, they want families and face painters now. That's fine but you wont get the loyalty from them. If the entertainment is not there, people simply won't go. It's evolving away from a traditional working class persuit now and the fan bases will become much more fluid. So the clubs will have to provide something for people to get excited about. When i was a saucepan lid there was not much else going on. Nowadays, people have numerous choices on how they spend their leisure time. Clubs, the FA are arrogant and belive we will come whatever is served up. Give it another 10 years and they are going to have a shock with empty stadiums in my opinion.

Style matters now, we have seen crowds dwindle if the 'product' is poor. The businesses cannot sustain that for too long. Those empty seats have a knock on effect with marketing, merchandise, advertising, attracting off the pitch talent. Just winning badly is not enough.. DCFC 2017/18 has proved that. For some it will be but those people are becoming less and less.

Mac 1 happy days 

No Wembley loss to QPR worst day of mine and DCFC life 

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

If that was the worst day of your life then you've had it pretty smooth so far mate. 

I meant Football life .

Maybe I didn’t make it clear. 

Best days  of my football life playing for my school team and Playing for Phoenix in Taverners League and watching Derby at the Baseball Ground.

Worst days of my Football life losing to QPR and Leicester at Wembley  

Just now, curtains said:

I meant Football life .

Best days  of my football life playing for my school team and Playing for Phoenix in Taverners League and watching Derby at the Baseball Ground.

Fantastic weekend, yes the result wasn’t the best however that’s not really what counts.  Some great memories from that weekend, and that season, It’s not all about the result.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

I meant Football life .

I don't think losing against QPR in the playoff final would rank in the top 1000 worst days of Derby's history. We've had plenty of significantly darker periods. 

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

I don't think losing against QPR in the playoff final would rank in the top 1000 worst days of Derby's history. We've had plenty of significantly darker periods. 

It was just the fact QPR were down to 10 Men and we messed it up right at the end .

The Leicester defeat was just as bad under Roy Mac as we had spent all that Lionel Pickering money and Tommy Johnson put us ahead and John Harkes missed a sitter at the end 

5 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Fantastic weekend, yes the result wasn’t the best however that’s not really what counts.  Some great memories from that weekend, and that season, It’s not all about the result.

Well I’m sorry if you think being bated by QPR fans was a fantastic weekend I don’t. 

44 minutes ago, curtains said:

It was just the fact QPR were down to 10 Men and we messed it up right at the end .

The Leicester defeat was just as bad under Roy Mac as we had spent all that Lionel Pickering money and Tommy Johnson put us ahead and John Harkes missed a sitter at the end 

What I'm saying though even that day was disappointing, it doesn't compare to say the days under the 3 amigos or the 08/09 season. After the playoff final I was disappointed but I enjoyed the game and had a strong sense that we could dust ourselves off and go again.

50 minutes ago, curtains said:

Well I’m sorry if you think being bated by QPR fans was a fantastic weekend I don’t. 

That’s part of football, that’s what makes it so great, some tried with us however we just replied that they would be back down next year and most were that surprised at winning they didn’t know what to say.  

14 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Great comparison to a team that has played in 2 Champions League finals and close to being in a Europa League final, all as recent as our last play-off final.

The point was, as I am sure you were aware, that they play defensive negative football and that their fans, apparently, love it!

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

What I'm saying though even that day was disappointing, it doesn't compare to say the days under the 3 amigos or the 08/09 season. After the playoff final I was disappointed but I enjoyed the game and had a strong sense that we could dust ourselves off and go again.

Shame we didn’t. 

1 hour ago, AdamRam said:

That’s part of football, that’s what makes it so great, some tried with us however we just replied that they would be back down next year and most were that surprised at winning they didn’t know what to say.  

Who knows it might be us surprised at winning at Wembley this time around. 

6 hours ago, KCG said:

The point was, as I am sure you were aware, that they play defensive negative football and that their fans, apparently, love it!

I think a lot of that is because they’re faced with Barca and Real as their rivals...were faced with Aston Villa and Cardiff. 

Their football is also very high in intensity and brilliant to watch. They turn defending and countering into an art form. We don’t...

Interesting that GR alludes to Klops brand of football being something he admires, yet I could never see him being as brave as Liverpool are tonight in leaving 3 up top. We are lucky if he leaves a player up for a corner,  let alone have more than 3 players breaking at once.

One fact which hasn't been mentioned is players view. I don't remember/know a player who wouldn't prefer, attacking, quick passing on the deck kind of football.

Rowett really needs to get rid of all the players who had the privilege to play like that in our shirt.

10 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Jim Smith years.. Happy days.

Mac 1 years.. Happy days.

Nigel Clough years.. No thank you.

Rowett year.. No thank you.

How would you assess Billy Davies' promotion team? (without the hindsight of the 07/08 debacle)

Archived