Kevin Phillips to Sunderland?

RamLad1884

Apoligies if this should be under transfer news. 

The Sun reporting that Sunderland want to appoint Kevin Phillips as their manager under the new owners. 

Could see this as a good move for him, was always surprised when he came as a coach and not more, strikes me as the manager type. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6179871/sunderland-kevin-phillips-championship-stadium-of-light/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

The Sun reporting that Sunderland want to appoint Kevin Phillips as their manager under the new owners. 

Could see this as a good move for him, was always surprised when he came as a coach and not more, strikes me as the manager type. 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/6179871/sunderland-kevin-phillips-championship-stadium-of-light/

It’s in the Guardian too.

Phillips could work but they need someone to put a ‘rocket up em’.

I think it’ll be an ex player or manager - someone who will galvanise the fans but also someone not afraid to ruffle the feathers in the dressing room. Big Mick was (genuinely) seen in Sunderland yesterday and would be a good fit. It could be that KP goes in as an assistant with a view to taking over in the future?

15 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That club has a rotten core, it has been that way for ages now. They need someone to rip it out and replace it with something positive. No idea if Phillips is the guy to do it, I have met him a few times as he lives near me and he has always come across as a really nice bloke. Maybe they need a bit more of a arse kicker?

Enough about Derby, what about Sunderland?!

6 minutes ago, Moist One said:

cannot really see massive benefits of his coaching involvement here. Don't stand in his way.

He’s been here with 5 managers and no ones coaching team has ousted him so must be doing something right? Outside of his son in the academy of course. 

57 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

That club has a rotten core, it has been that way for ages now. They need someone to rip it out and replace it with something positive. No idea if Phillips is the guy to do it, I have met him a few times as he lives near me and he has always come across as a really nice bloke. Maybe they need a bit more of a arse kicker?

Lee Cattermole and his shi!house chums for kick off. 

6 hours ago, cosmic said:

Based on?

His track record since quitting as a pro - what over 10 years ago 

let's face it - he was our attacking coach for a bit - and we hardly set the world alight  under him. 

this forum in the past raised sone doubt 

Pretty sure he was linked when Grayson got the sack too.

Yep - Alex McLeish, Paul Lambert and former Sunderland striker Kevin Phillips are all expected to be in the frame for the post, as the Black Cats bid to avoid a second successive relegation. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/11/01/simon-grayson-sacked-five-minutes-sunderlands-draw-bolton/amp/

5 hours ago, Moist One said:

cannot really see massive benefits of his coaching involvement here. Don't stand in his way.

Those cones won't put themselves out you know!

Ah well, Clement could be available soon.

2 hours ago, irobinson said:

His track record since quitting as a pro - what over 10 years ago 

let's face it - he was our attacking coach for a bit - and we hardly set the world alight  under him. 

this forum in the past raised sone doubt 

Well, we had a guy last season who couldn't his a cow's arse with a banjo. This season, he's the leading goalscorer in the league.

9 hours ago, RamLad1884 said:

Good luck to both. They are going to need bucket loads....

Archived