Do we deserve to be in the play offs...

Chester40

I think you do finish where you deserve to. 

It's weird because in 14/15 I think we finished with 76pts? And we didn't deserve a play off place.

We will get less than that and yet this time we deserve one. 

I guess you just have to not worry about what's fair and what's not and just focus on producing performances that will continue to improve. That's all that matters. 

You can't control what other teams do. You can't control referee decisions. You can't control injuries. The table at the end of the season tells you your place and that's that. 

I think many say that Fulham deserve to be above Cardiff. I'm not sure that's true even though I want it to happen.

If Cardiff do end up deserving 2nd I think next season they'll find it very tough. Long afternoons of desperate hoofball. And that will be deserved because of the way they played this season.

Where Fulham I think will find the future slightly smoother. 

It's not just one season and then the end. We saw with Billy Davies... We deserved to get promoted. Then we deserved to get smashed back down. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The points tally (or possibly superior goal difference) will determine whether or not we deserve to be in the play offs. If it were down to performances it would be questionable, but the same could be said of those other teams trying to scrape in to the top six. 

Here’s a thing for all those saying we’ve shown villa / Boro / Cardiff too much respect. We can’t mix it with those around us etc.

If cardiff end up in the playoffs, then we’ll have beaten all 3 play off contenders over 2 legs this season already. In fact middlesborough at home is the only game out of 6 that we’ve lost at all.

Fulham are the only team that we could face in the play offs that we haven’t beaten over two legs this season, and even then, we haven’t been soundly beaten, it’s been the odd goal at home. 

So actually we’ve got every chance in the play offs against these teams. 

Its teams like burton and Sunderland we’ve struggled against recently. Thank god teams around the bottom, by definition, don’t get into the play offs. The only worry now is that it’s a team around the bottom that stands in our way from securing our place. Get past that hurdle and it’s all to play for. 

And, yes, we’ll have deserved it. 

16 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Do the people saying no understand how a league table works? It's not rocket science. Over the course of a season you finish where you deserve to finish.

That wasn’t really the OP’s question though, was it?

8 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I know I will get the 'its a league you end up where you deserve' etc etc type arguments...so if you think that...I know!!!

I was answering more from the viewpoint of the spirit of the game, and the development of the club.

With that in mind, as far as I am concerned, teams who play good football, develop young players, work hard and overachieve within the constraints of their budget, are more ‘deserving’, at least of respect, than those who, like us, pay inflated wages for mediocre journeymen playing hoofball. 

I've been watching Derby since 1970 and i can say with the utmost certainty we've always finished where we deserve to. 

The style of play is totally irrelevant, over a league season you finish where you deserve to.

Apart from Leeds, they cheated. 

6th place deserves the play-offs - you don't win points for style. What's the point of being an easy-on-the-eye "Brentford"and finish 9th/10th. Millwall had their big chance and blew it against Fulham. Preston "efficient but not efficient enough", Sheff United "good manager but no money",  Bristol City "dodgy manager with bad defence". Yes, the Rams deserve the play-offs.

I hope you win the play-offs but only because I think the Rams are the least well-equipped to survive in the PL. That's why I am rooting for Cardiff....Fulham would make a much better fist of the PL. A lot of PL teams will be hoping Huddersfield stay up instead of Southampton who will probably see normal service resumed next season. In the last few games, West Brom have shown they could be a force in the Championship next season - Stoke will need more surgery.

My hope/prediction: Cardiff 2nd.

Derby 1 Fulham 1; Middlesbrough 2 Villa 0; Fulham 2 Derby 2 (Derby win on pens); Villa 2 Middlsbrough 1.

Play-off final: Derby 1 Middlesbro 0.

Premier League 2018/19.

18th ???????????????

19th Cardiff City

20th Huddersfield.

11 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Only if we finish in the top 6 and we will deserve to go up if we win the play off final .....simples.......?

To be honest, if we finish 6th and go up instead of Fulham / Cardiff who finish 3rd, we won’t really have deserved it. The play off system itself is exciting but flawed. 

But I don’t really care (especially if it’s cardiff). 

For the first half of the season we didn’t deserve to be in the play offs, we deserved to be in the automatics as we were. For the second half of the season we deserve to be mid table obscurity at best. So average it out and yes of course we deserve to be there if we make it. 

We could lose to Barnsley and Burton could get a point or more and we'll still be 6th and yes we deserve to be 6th. If we do it the Q.P.R way and Jerome scores a last minute winner then I for one think life is all about ying and yang, black and white and I'm ready to flap Mel's free flag about all over the shop whilst thousands of ram fans enjoy a free season ticket next year, but not me and the Aberdeenshire Rams as we spend about that fee every time we support D.C.F.C.

D.C.F.C Love, Life & Unity

Archived