Cameras

alexxxxx

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

You're a genius!. Cancelling my wifi contract - effective immediately.

Chin chin.

She's not.

I'm the landlord, and she makes a glass of tap water last 2 hrs, while having the cheek to ask for the Wi-Fi code. 

Then she nips outside to drink the Tennants Super strength she's secreted in a bush, then has the cheek to destroy the bogs before she leaves, all the while claiming I'm a misogynistic ******** landlord, while helping herself to the free nuts I leave on the bar for paying patrons.

Probably.

12 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Right. I just parted with £400ish quid on a camera and to be honest i don't really know much about them - although i'm aware that the one i got is relatively good for beginners (Sony A6000). Probably will look to get another lens once i know what i'm doing.

Anyone got any tips about how to make best use of them (websites, tutorials, classes etc), what kind of things you do to make sure they don't get nicked on holiday etc - some resources on how to take good photos, pc programs to look after your photos and stuff. 

Froggg, when he gets back from his hols, will no doubt add more alexxxxx, but  some of the things that have helped me are:

1) Youtube - there is a huge amount of information and help on Youtube both about your specific camera and taking better photographs generally.  As always some of the contributors are better than others, just find one or two you like

2) Magazines like Practical Photography genuinely cater for amateurs as well as more experienced photographers.  It's worth buying a few different ones and seeing which give you the sort of help you're after

3) Practice - the best advice I can give you is to have a go.  Take lots of photos, get comfortable with operating your camera, find out whether you like landscapes or portrait photography or both or something else; develop a style; be self critical about what you produce - positive and negative, and try and improve.  If there's a reason why you bought the camera - photos of the kids/family/wife/holidays - start there and just carry on. Take the camera with you when you go out and take photos, rather than using your phone.  Get used to having it with you.

5) on security and stuff, especially on holiday, just don't draw attention to it.  I carry mine in a rucksack rather than a camera bag for example, but if I'm going out and don't want it with me I use hotel safes (not perfect but better than nothing) but I do always make sure that my holiday insurance covers the camera

6) I download all my photos to my iMac, mess around with them on Lightroom and print the ones I want into albums.  I back them up onto an external hard drive.  I find that Apple's Photos is a really good system, but then I've been using it for many years so I'm used to it.  There are lots of different systems around if you want to store the photos on your computer.  Some are free or have free trial periods - try some and see what you feel comfortable with.

Hope that helps.  Have fun

4 hours ago, reveldevil said:

She's not.

I'm the landlord, and she makes a glass of tap water last 2 hrs, while having the cheek to ask for the Wi-Fi code. 

Then she nips outside to drink the Tennants Super strength she's secreted in a bush, then has the cheek to destroy the bogs before she leaves, all the while claiming I'm a misogynistic ******** landlord, while helping herself to the free nuts I leave on the bar for paying patrons.

Probably.

Have we actually met in real life?

22 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Right. I just parted with £400ish quid on a camera and to be honest i don't really know much about them - although i'm aware that the one i got is relatively good for beginners (Sony A6000). Probably will look to get another lens once i know what i'm doing.

Anyone got any tips about how to make best use of them (websites, tutorials, classes etc), what kind of things you do to make sure they don't get nicked on holiday etc - some resources on how to take good photos, pc programs to look after your photos and stuff. 

Will get back to you on this Alex when I get back home.

gotta say i absolutely love how well the photos come out.

ive been watching a few youtube videos learning about aperture, shutter speed, white balance, iso etc so getting a grip on that but been switching around between auto mode and aperture control mode w/white balance, exposure etc manually controlled.. 

On 22/04/2018 at 22:09, ilkleyram said:

Froggg, when he gets back from his hols, will no doubt add more alexxxxx, but  some of the things that have helped me are:

1) Youtube - there is a huge amount of information and help on Youtube both about your specific camera and taking better photographs generally.  As always some of the contributors are better than others, just find one or two you like

2) Magazines like Practical Photography genuinely cater for amateurs as well as more experienced photographers.  It's worth buying a few different ones and seeing which give you the sort of help you're after

3) Practice - the best advice I can give you is to have a go.  Take lots of photos, get comfortable with operating your camera, find out whether you like landscapes or portrait photography or both or something else; develop a style; be self critical about what you produce - positive and negative, and try and improve.  If there's a reason why you bought the camera - photos of the kids/family/wife/holidays - start there and just carry on. Take the camera with you when you go out and take photos, rather than using your phone.  Get used to having it with you.

5) on security and stuff, especially on holiday, just don't draw attention to it.  I carry mine in a rucksack rather than a camera bag for example, but if I'm going out and don't want it with me I use hotel safes (not perfect but better than nothing) but I do always make sure that my holiday insurance covers the camera

6) I download all my photos to my iMac, mess around with them on Lightroom and print the ones I want into albums.  I back them up onto an external hard drive.  I find that Apple's Photos is a really good system, but then I've been using it for many years so I'm used to it.  There are lots of different systems around if you want to store the photos on your computer.  Some are free or have free trial periods - try some and see what you feel comfortable with.

Hope that helps.  Have fun

This poet covers all the basics Alex, from your latest post looks like you’re getting to grips with the new camera, I have a Sony Bridge camera which I take on holiday if worried about sand weather and theft, I use a canon dslr for wildlife and general stuff, if you want any specific questions answered pm me.

On 22/04/2018 at 09:07, alexxxxx said:

There is a chap on YouTube called Mike Browne, he covers a lot of aspects of photography 

I started with a canon EOS 1200 but now upgraded to a 750d (part exchanged the old one atJessops).

in terms of leaning how to use all the clever features and options I:

1) Bought a "Dummies guide to......." book

2) Bought a "DK beginners photography guide"

3) Attended a 10 week evening class course at my local college (think it cost about £90. Well worth it).

Don't tell the wife but, I also bought a new wide angled lens (for landscape photography) that cost nearly as much as the first camera

On 08/05/2018 at 11:48, Tamworthram said:

I started with a canon EOS 1200 but now upgraded to a 750d (part exchanged the old one atJessops).

in terms of leaning how to use all the clever features and options I:

1) Bought a "Dummies guide to......." book

2) Bought a "DK beginners photography guide"

3) Attended a 10 week evening class course at my local college (think it cost about £90. Well worth it).

Don't tell the wife but, I also bought a new wide angled lens (for landscape photography) that cost nearly as much as the first camera

Good glass is where your money needs to be. No point having an expensive camera body and ***** lenses. 

Archived