Cameras

alexxxxx

Right. I just parted with £400ish quid on a camera and to be honest i don't really know much about them - although i'm aware that the one i got is relatively good for beginners (Sony A6000). Probably will look to get another lens once i know what i'm doing.

Anyone got any tips about how to make best use of them (websites, tutorials, classes etc), what kind of things you do to make sure they don't get nicked on holiday etc - some resources on how to take good photos, pc programs to look after your photos and stuff. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also interested in this. I enjoy taking pics on my phone and would like to get a camera to up the quality and versatility, but have no idea what to look for. 

This is probably a stupid question, so forgive my luddite ignorance, but do you have to have a computer to store and view photos and share them online? 

26 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Also interested in this. I enjoy taking pics on my phone and would like to get a camera to up the quality and versatility, but have no idea what to look for. 

This is probably a stupid question, so forgive my luddite ignorance, but do you have to have a computer to store and view photos and share them online? 

Mrs Parsnip has a camera with NFC which as far as I'm aware sends every picture direct to her phone - so no need for a computer. Never seen her on a laptop anyway.

23 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I have a Canon EOS M10 which has an app which you transfer photos direct to your phone over WiFi. 

The camera has its own WiFi point, connect to this and then open the app. Tick all the photos you want and press import.

I believe it’s easier with Android phones and you just need to press the NFC transfer button and have your phone close by.

Not all Canon cameras have this so you need to look for WiFi sharing or mobile transfer. If in doubt post the camera link and I’m sure someone will check for you.

Some Sony cameras also have the same, I believe it’s the A series.

4 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Mrs Parsnip has a camera with NFC which as far as I'm aware sends every picture direct to her phone - so no need for a computer. Never seen her on a laptop anyway.

What’s NFC stand for, no ******* computer?

Righto, sounds doable then. I just have an iPhone and don’t really need a computer. Also don’t want the faff of paying for line rental, broadband or whatever. £20 a month and 4G does most things. If I need wifi, I go to the pub. 

21 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

What’s NFC stand for, no ******* computer?

Yeah but don't use that joke in public until you've satisfied yourself that the technology is indeed known as NFC. Those letters came off the top of my head. I don't want to be held responsible if you produce your joke in esteemed company and they're all like 'it's not NFC it's MFC' and you're like 'stupid root veg making me look stupid' and I'm like 'sorry lamby my bad'. And sh¡t.

4 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Righto, sounds doable then. I just have an iPhone and don’t really need a computer. Also don’t want the faff of paying for line rental, broadband or whatever. £20 a month and 4G does most things. If I need wifi, I go to the pub. 

You won't need Wi-Fi as in a package which allows you to use the internet, it just uses the Wi-Fi signal to transfer files.

You would go into your iPhone settings > Wi-Fi and it will show as Camera12345 or something, connect to that and it just establishes a link between camera and phone. Once downloaded disconnect and jobs a good un

4 minutes ago, David said:

You won't need Wi-Fi as in a package which allows you to use the internet, it just uses the Wi-Fi signal to transfer files.

You would go into your iPhone settings > Wi-Fi and it will show as Camera12345 or something, connect to that and it just establishes a link between camera and phone. Once downloaded disconnect and jobs a good un

Brill, that’s the kind of thing I was hoping for. I feel suitably encouraged to look further into it now. 

2 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

from what i gather you can get some versions of adobe lightroom for iOS so you can do some basic editing on tablets etc. You can then view your photos on there or view them on your TV somehow. Or get them printed.

Hmmm, don’t have a tv either, but I do have a 1950s slide projector. 

Next stupid question: if I get a decent camera, will the quality of the images be compromised by transferring them to a phone? Presumably the phone can store better quality images than it’s capable of taking?

3 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

Hmmm, don’t have a tv either, but I do have a 1950s slide projector. 

Next stupid question: if I get a decent camera, will the quality of the images be compromised by transferring them to a phone? Presumably the phone can store better quality images than it’s capable of taking?

When you transfer them you are given the option of full size or a number of reduced size/quality options.

Obviously if you're downloading a lot of full size images you need the storage on your phone.

Archived