"I've really not enjoyed this season"

Nuwtfly

14 hours ago, ram93 said:

When we were second i knew it wouldn't last, we got lucky during our good run. Especially at home against the likes of villa (sloppy back pass) Sheffield wed (early sending off) i could tell the style of play wouldn't be successful. I've never gone to so many games this season not looking forward to the match. Im sick to death of watching teams dominate us and seeing us not have a go at teams. Lets face it, Rowett sets us up not to lose. 

Im not one for sacking managers, but how can anybody tell me that they think this style of football will take us to the premier league is beyond me. Wolves away, (best team in this league) they dominated us, didn't even get out of first gear. Imagine how we'd cope against premier league teams playing this way. I also don't trust Rowett in the transfer market. We need to go with something different, because british managers who have championship experience; Pearson, Mac, Rowett has not worked. You can't tell me that if Gary was managing that Wolves side they'd be top of the league.

We've never had a foreign in manager, who cares if he's not managed in England before, lets give it ago! Nuno hadn't, Jakcanovic hadn't (watford) worth a go

Fully agree with everything u say there mate

my concern with a foreign manager is that people tend to only remember the successful ones there plenty of ones that have come in and been utterly absysml cos of their lack of understanding of the English game 

just look down the road, forest had the montanier who was foreign, different and came with Bells on... they avoided the drop on the last day last season and probably would have gone if they didn't own assomablonga at the time.

as i said uv nailed everything, and fully agree but we must be v careful what we wish for

more than anything we need stability but let's be honest it's been pretty dire football and I can't see how this type of football can lead to anything

i suppose u have to look at united under mourinho and how they beat spurs yesterday that's probably the style that rowett is aiming for.

do I like it no, can it get us where we want to be yes.

burnley had a similar hard to beat mentality, I think they could also play a bit but then dyche got them there after more than 2 transfer windows.

its a tough one, I think we're just going to have to ride it out 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think for me also, with hindsight, it’s been a steady process of disillusionment since 2014. That’s the backdrop to the current point of near indifference, and it seems to be because the whole ethos has changed. Rowett is merely the final embodiment of this attempt to put the cart before the horse, to buy success for its own sake rather than achieve it as a byproduct of developing a team that plays the right way. 

I concur with what others have said, in that I would happily take a few seasons of lower mid table to get back to the sort of team I could enjoy and be proud of. Will this happen under Morris, does he have the patience for that, or the nouse to employ the right people to bring it about? I don’t know. I was apprehensive when he bought out GSE, and his tenure has been a comedy of errors so far; is this what inevitably happens when business contaminates sport?

I realised yesterday that I won’t be going again until things have changed; not because I’m entitled, or a half fan, or even because it’s a waste of money paying for something you don’t enjoy, but because I don’t actually want to lend my support to the club’s current direction. If people voting with their feet is what it takes, then so be it. 

Maybe the appointment of Rowett was made with a better intention; to support a young manager in developing his vision and rebuilding the team. It was a stupid appointment given Rowetts negative style, and unfortunate in that he has proved incapable of fulfilling his promises, but maybe there’s a small hope that if Morris can make the right appointment in the summer we can start again next season. If Rowett remains in charge, however, I fear we will just be digging deeper and deeper into the hole. 

18 minutes ago, Lambchop said:

I think for me also, with hindsight, it’s been a steady process of disillusionment since 2014. That’s the backdrop to the current point of near indifference, and it seems to be because the whole ethos has changed. Rowett is merely the final embodiment of this attempt to put the cart before the horse, to buy success for its own sake rather than achieve it as a byproduct of developing a team that plays the right way. 

I realised yesterday that I won’t be going again until things have changed; not because I’m entitled, or a half fan, or even because it’s a waste of money paying for something you don’t enjoy, but because I don’t actually want to lend my support to the club’s current direction. If people voting with their feet is what it takes, then so be it. 

Indifference is a good point. That's where I've been for the past 18 months - I just haven't given a toss tbh. You'll move beyond this though. It seems to be like the grief curve - eventually you'll move on to the next step - anger. That's where I am now. 

As much as I'll praise Mel for putting his £££s into the club, and bolstering our off-the-pitch operations, on the pitch, it's been a slowly played out disaster since we lost at Wembley, and we have regressed. Our philosophy is different, and not for the better. Our squad, IMO, is largely worse. Our direction, and prospects, no better than they were before. In fact, they're worse. We're going down a route that is just going to cause more and more damage, damage that is going to have to be undone before we can even get back to where we once were.

It looks like Rowett will stay. Great. It'll save me £££ next season too.

Season for me went sour when Winnall got injured and Russell left... maybe less risk of competition for places andplayers got complacent(?). If Pride Park could be a bit more like it was for the first 20 yesterday I think things would be better. But it needs the players to perform to get that fan reaction.

38 minutes ago, Redcar said:

Season for me went sour when Winnall got injured and Russell left... maybe less risk of competition for places andplayers got complacent(?). If Pride Park could be a bit more like it was for the first 20 yesterday I think things would be better. But it needs the players to perform to get that fan reaction.

It needs the manager to get the right players playing the right way to get positive fan reaction...

Glad I’m missing yesterday and Tuesday’s games tbh. There’s no pride to be found at Pride Park but it’s not down to the fans. 

8 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It needs the manager to get the right players playing the right way to get positive fan reaction...

Glad I’m missing yesterday and Tuesday’s games tbh. There’s no pride to be found at Pride Park but it’s not down to the fans

Hit the nail on the head there. Yesterday the atmosphere was great for the first 10/15 mins then died away as it usually does because fans react to positive play, attacking football, and creating chances; and under Rowett's brand of defensive football there is very little of that to go around.

Fans make the noise but the players have to give them something to make noise about.

3 minutes ago, LE_Ram said:

Hit the nail on the head there. Yesterday the atmosphere was great for the first 10/15 mins then died away as it usually does because fans react to positive play, attacking football, and creating chances; and under Rowett's brand of defensive football there is very little of that to go around.

Fans make the noise but the players have to give them something to make noise about.

This is a very good point. Derby fans have been (mostly) excellent over the last few weeks, but the club can’t expect electric atmospheres when the team on the pitch keep putting in such lifeless performances. 

If they don’t care on the pitch, then sooner or later, the fans will stop caring too. 

The hardest part for me to stomach has been the players' attitudes. I don't meant to sound cliche but if you look at the Wolves away game it perfectly summed our squad up as it is - no desire to even get close to their players, let alone close them down and put a tackle in.

Rowett rightly has come in for criticism recently, I'm baffled as to why he refuses to start Palmer who is quite clearly our most gifted player now (Vydra scores but is a different type of player). But I don't think it's entirely his fault when you have 9 of the 11 starters coasting through the game hoping to get lucky that the oppo are less up for it than them. In the last couple of months, with playoffs at stake, this obviously hasn't been the case and we've been found out.

Lastly, the transfer policy this year has been diabolical, at best. Offering Bryson away and not getting in a box-to-box replacement was criminal. I like huddlestone and Ledley individually, but they can't get close to agile, fit midfielders and get the run-around in matches. And to not make sure we'd replaced Russell and having to resort to ANYA(?!) of all people, and Olsson on Saturday is absolutely embarrassing.

Do I have any answers for the above though? Nope. Short of selling our entire squad and restarting I don't know how you can get rid of the feeling-sorry-for-ourselves/no bottle culture that persists. 

Watching Derby is like watching Frank Bruno box used to be.

Even when he won you were on pins hoping he didn't get one square on the jaw.

When landed with a blow both buckle at the knees.

I haven't enjoyed the season and can't believe we haven't used our talented youth players alongside veterans they could have learned from

2 hours ago, StaffsRam said:

Indifference is a good point. That's where I've been for the past 18 months - I just haven't given a toss tbh. You'll move beyond this though. It seems to be like the grief curve - eventually you'll move on to the next step - anger. That's where I am now. 

Me too , I'm angry because after all the years of watching Derby Rowett has finally been the person to put me off something that gives me great pleasure . He has took a massive gamble in the transfer market in an effort to get us up this year and has set us back in the process.

53 minutes ago, King Kevin said:

He has took a massive gamble in the transfer market in an effort to get us up this year and has set us back in the process.

What massive gamble? He has been hamstrung because of our past dealings. He's had a very limited budget. I bet he would have loved the money Wolves have spent.

2 hours ago, KCG said:

What massive gamble? He has been hamstrung because of our past dealings. He's had a very limited budget. I bet he would have loved the money Wolves have spent.

Or he could have done what he said he was going to do in the summer and signed younger players full of energy? Or tried to bring through some of the under-23s?

Fans can accept a mid-table finish if you're introducing youth or setting yourself up for success the season after, but we've not done that. Rowett has continued the same short-term approach we've seen from countless other managers.

2 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Or he could have done what he said he was going to do in the summer and signed younger players full of energy? Or tried to bring through some of the under-23s?

Fans can accept a mid-table finish if you're introducing youth or setting yourself up for success the season after, but we've not done that. Rowett has continued the same short-term approach we've seen from countless other managers.

Given the job expectancy of a football manager, especially here, it would be a brave manager who would plan long term. 

We've seen enough now to know bravery is not high on Gary's list of qualities.

4 hours ago, mike93rh said:

The hardest part for me to stomach has been the players' attitudes. I don't meant to sound cliche but if you look at the Wolves away game it perfectly summed our squad up as it is - no desire to even get close to their players, let alone close them down and put a tackle in.

Rowett rightly has come in for criticism recently, I'm baffled as to why he refuses to start Palmer who is quite clearly our most gifted player now (Vydra scores but is a different type of player). But I don't think it's entirely his fault when you have 9 of the 11 starters coasting through the game hoping to get lucky that the oppo are less up for it than them. In the last couple of months, with playoffs at stake, this obviously hasn't been the case and we've been found out.

Lastly, the transfer policy this year has been diabolical, at best. Offering Bryson away and not getting in a box-to-box replacement was criminal. I like huddlestone and Ledley individually, but they can't get close to agile, fit midfielders and get the run-around in matches. And to not make sure we'd replaced Russell and having to resort to ANYA(?!) of all people, and Olsson on Saturday is absolutely embarrassing.

Do I have any answers for the above though? Nope. Short of selling our entire squad and restarting I don't know how you can get rid of the feeling-sorry-for-ourselves/no bottle culture that persists. 

Palmer is not fit and he hasn’t been for a single day since he arrived, he went on a season long loan to Huddersfield at the beginning of the season and after two games he did his hamstring in and never played again and was sent back to Chelsea at Christmas then we took him as a last minute thing when we let Russell leave but he never had a position to fit into anyway as he is a central midfielder who attacks and we don’t use ours that way this season 

2 hours ago, KCG said:

I call selling Ince and Hughes to fund Jerome and Lawrence and failing to strengthen in the January window a gamble .Maybe Hughes wanted away but Ince didn't .

Kieth from Birmingham was a **** up and GR wanted control over transfers so down to him really. Also loaning out good players to rivals aint the smartest thing to do .

2 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Palmer is not fit and he hasn’t been for a single day since he arrived, he went on a season long loan to Huddersfield at the beginning of the season and after two games he did his hamstring in and never played again and was sent back to Chelsea at Christmas then we took him as a last minute thing when we let Russell leave but he never had a position to fit into anyway as he is a central midfielder who attacks and we don’t use ours that way this season 

Doesn't that say everything about our incompetence in the transfer market. 

When our first choice winger goes elsewhere, not only is our backup not a winger, but he isn't even fit. Shambles.

Archived